R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 07-19-2005, 03:03 AM   #16
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to Burlap

I started off with an old Tamiya Sand Scorcher, which could take the punishment I gave it back when I was 8 years old. I stuck with Tamiya because of it. They are a pretty common brand here in Australia.
Burlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2005, 03:54 AM   #17
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Entropy
Tamiya has history and tradition...

...of fufilling the neverending thirst of hobbyists for the latest and greatest (duncha just love their product cycles)

Yup.... I followed the tradition. Beleive it or not, Tamiya is always my first car !!!

My very first car was Tamiya Super Shot back then in 1986. My dad bought it for me in Far Eastern Plaza, Singapore. I was so happy and dreaming as if I'm the only driver inside the car.

As I went to university in Los Angeles, I repeat the tradition with Tamiya TA02 FF.

Even at present day, after stop playing rc for 7 years, I re-start my hobby with Mini Coopers !!

Tamiya cars are fun to build for first timers, and you will learn alot from there.
asw7576 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2005, 05:20 AM   #18
Tech Regular

I think you guys just sold me on a Tamiya . Now which one?
Baudler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2005, 06:25 AM   #19
Tech Adept
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Tamiya is a great looking chassis,I put serious thought in my last touring car purchase. It came down to the schumacher MI2 for me. Whatever you buy, when you build it make that drivetrain spin as free as possible. 1. Buy reamers, 2. Polish everything 3. Soak bearings in lighter fluid 4.
Mike Pavlick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2005, 06:58 AM   #20
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Quote:
I was just gonna say "Flips"...but I figured that either nobody outside of SoCal would get it and the ones that did might be bent for some reason.
nice :P

--

I guess I represent the sole Flip in the Chicagoland/Midwest area running a Tamiya. Scotty at Trackside doesn't count LOL Bring TAOB to the flatlands!

RandomFellow. I see you are in MI. As for parts support even if your LHS doesn't carry parts Trackside is nearby in WI and carries a ton of Tamiya parts and will ship also. Between Trackside, Speedtech, and Rainbow 10 you can find just about anything and have it within 5 days.

crap...it's been less then 6 months since I bought my 415 and now I have two!
Old 07-19-2005, 07:09 AM   #21
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by vi3tishduy
Think of it this way... You have GM, Cheverlet, Dodge, and Ford, and the other American car companies. Statistics show that American made cars are poorer quality, parts ware out fast. Then you have the European and Asian cars. BMW, Acura, ect.. They last at least 5-8 years longer and have better quality overall..

Your analogy is way off.... I have a 24 year old and a 37 year old car sitting in my garage... Go find a Jap car that old and see if it's still running....
Old 07-19-2005, 07:36 AM   #22
Tech Addict

Send a message via AIM to vi3tishduy

Haha, ok. My grandma's Datsun... Does lighter fluid help bearings?
vi3tishduy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2005, 07:40 AM   #23
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to GroffBall

My first car was a hornet, then a blackfoot, frog etc... I then got into the competition stuff.

Tamiya makes me feel like a kid again. Yeah the EVO IV is great and I like racing it, but my M03 is why I love tamiya. Its scale apperance, fwd real handling, good quality, takes a beathing. It just brings a smile to my face even thinking about playing with it.

Its nostalgia baby! Makes me feel 8 years old all over again.

I think I'm gonna work on my M03 tonight instead of my XXX now.
GroffBall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2005, 08:01 AM   #24
Tech Addict

"You have GM, Cheverlet, Dodge, and Ford, and the other American car companies. Statistics show that American made cars are poorer quality, parts ware out fast."

Now there's a crock. I can't imagine where the "statistics" came from, probably from the local "Datsun" dealer.
Old 07-19-2005, 08:18 AM   #25
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to Jam-ehz

I myself started with a second-hand Tamiya (Falcon Buggy) (other than the Nikko Lobo II and Radio Shack Red Arrow as a kid) and I've always kept a few Tamiyas in my collection.

Funny thing is, the TB-02 I bought used, as was my loaded M-04M.. I guess they're kinda like Civics, always valuable to someone, even if you've outgrown it. I bought a new TA-05, though, my first "new" purchase, and building them is a blast.

I also like Tamiyas because there's something for everyone. Nearly every other company makes only one model for each class, but Tamiya has whole families of cars for every interest and price range. Also, with each chassis comes a unique body from Ferrari, Porsche, Nismo, Mercedes, etc. that keep the scale model enthusiasts interested as well. They look so much nicer than the standard sedan touring body, albeit not as race-ready. Want to start off with RC? Just buy a TT-01 like my brother did. Experienced but still want something affordable? TB-02 and TA-05 are great choices, and even the TA-04 is still a popular choice. Stepping up? Can't go wrong with a 415. Nitro? The TG10MkII can be a very competitive car, just ask the winner of our last major race.

Want to have fun? They have a line of M-03/M-04's to keep you happy (and in my opinion, they're the most fun, they make you learn throttle and steering control because of 2wd and a high CG, and upgrades aren't really required to get the most out of it), not to mention their TNX Monster truck.
Like I said, something for everyone, and I still know people running their TL-01's because they're absolute tanks.

Also, it certainly helps that the TCS series runs up here in Canada. I doubt I'd be so interested in Tamiya if it weren't for the races to compete in. As was said before, the comraderie and fun atmosphere make the win-at-all-costs attitude secondary.

Every hobby shop in Toronto packs Tamiya parts, to the point that often the whole wall of a store is just tamiya part packages, because they know they'll be grabbed up by the eager upgrader or the unfortunate wall-smacker, not to mention that many parts can fit multiple kits, so you're not stuck with 5 different arms and uprights for 5 different models. Looking at my TA-05 kit, there are many part trees 'borrowed' from other kits, like the Evo IV, DF-02, and TA-04 to name a few, so you can be confident that by the next 6 months even if something new comes out you'll still be able to find a part for your older models.

Tamiya Canada (Borgfeldt) as a distributor and a race organizer through the TCS and other events have been great in promoting not only Tamiya racing, but R/C in general.

Well, that's my 2 cents, or 1.6 cents through exchange...
Old 07-19-2005, 08:28 AM   #26
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

The answer is simple...... and if you have to ask the question you simply dont get it, feel the love, Tamiya love
Old 07-19-2005, 08:29 AM   #27
Tech Elite

Tamiya, Yokomo, Xray, Corally, and other non-American kits have higher resale values. A used Xray Evo2 will sell for about 200 for just a roller. A used TC3 of the same age and usage will sell for 100 or less. I sold my Pro4 for almost 300 dollars. Then I saw XXX-S's with more parts and less usage selling for around 150.

Just an observation.
ChadCapece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2005, 08:39 AM   #28
Tech Addict

Send a message via AIM to vi3tishduy

Actually, I heard it on the news ^_^ If you don't believe me, ask any other car dealership and they'll tell you the same. Look at ford models, they're cars are breaking all the time, the accelerator on most '05 models get jammed. My mom has had her acura legend for 16 years and has never had to change any parts for it except the brakes and the clutch/transmission after my brother tried to drive stickshift ...
vi3tishduy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2005, 08:48 AM   #29
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

you don't buy a car to sell it, you buy a car to race it...

I'm personally not a fan of Tamiya's marketing strategy of developing rabid fans and then selling them a anew car..or updated suspension..or upgrade kit ivery 6 months....

Whether or not you should buy a Tamiya may also have something to do with the type of surfaces you'll be racing on as well..as they may require some work, some creative parts-stealing and some $$$$ to get ready to race with foams on carpet...

The cars have had great success with rubber tires on asphalt though...

Personally, I'm an Xray guy....I've heard good things about Tamiya's...but nothing that would make me even for a moment consider a change of scenery...
ChrisP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2005, 08:52 AM   #30
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vi3tishduy
Actually, I heard it on the news ^_^ If you don't believe me, ask any other car dealership and they'll tell you the same. Look at ford models, they're cars are breaking all the time, the accelerator on most '05 models get jammed. My mom has had her acura legend for 16 years and has never had to change any parts for it except the brakes and the clutch/transmission after my brother tried to drive stickshift ...
That's somewhat true....the accelerator on my 05 Mustang GT gets jammed all the time....to the floor by my foot....

There used to be a quality gap in full size cars but that has closed greatly, and north american cars are now among the highest rated for initial quality....(According to JD Power and several other test services)...
ChrisP is offline   Reply With Quote