R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 01-10-2014, 07:48 AM   #31
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEED-MORE-SPEED View Post
I'm still fairly new to these touring cars, however I can tell you that I've had 4 different cars within the past several months (all kits I have built new). There are several cars that I've owned/raced, also held in my hands that offer very little slop.

* AE TC6 and the 6.1 Worlds have lots of slop **** Certain the 6.2 is the same way as the plastics have not been re-designed****
* VBC Wildfire "Version 2" plastics (Quality)
* Serpent ERYX 2.0 (Steering Rack issues)
* Xray T4 2014 (Quality) which I'm currently racing and have ran at least 100 packs through and the car has the same fit/finish since new build

The following kits I have held and examined in detail (for slop and fit/finish) also made some laps with from fellow racers allowing me the privilege to take some laps with there car

* YOKOMO BD7 (Quality)
* AWESOMATIX (Quality)
* ARC (Quality)

All these kits mentioned above I have owned and raced, or examined in detail also drove. If your looking for a TC racer for less slop, fit/finish and an all around great car. Look at the DO6 Wildfire, 2014 T4. If money isn't a concern, rock out the YOKOMO or the new AWESOMATIX. If you want something to constantly work on to find a decent set - up and find ways to improve fit/finish design buy the AE car or the OFNO H4e. However I really can't say much about the new 6.2 AE car as I haven't had one in my grubby little paws, but as mentioned above the (Caster Blocks, Steering Blocks, Rear Uprights, Suspension Arms) are the same as the 6.1 and the 6.1 worlds which have mass play and I've built both new and raced both.

Hope that helps
This is all great info... It appears there's a consensus that AE is sloppy. Whereas Xray, Wildfire and Awesomatix is not.

For those that have owned or seen the above, where would you say Hot Bodies TCXX fits in? On the sloppy side or "tight" side?
XRAY XB2 2018, XRAY XB4 2017, Durango DEST210R, XRAY XB4 2014, Vaterra Slick Rock, Durango DEX210, SpeedMerchant REV4, HB TCX, Traxxas EMaxx, HPI RS4 Pro, Tamiya TA02, Yokomo YZ10, Associated RC10 Team Car, Bolink Eliminator 10, Kyosho Optima, Tamiya HotShot, Tamiya Grasshopper
theclutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 10:14 AM   #32
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by theclutch View Post
This is all great info... It appears there's a consensus that AE is sloppy. Whereas Xray, Wildfire and Awesomatix is not.

For those that have owned or seen the above, where would you say Hot Bodies TCXX fits in? On the sloppy side or "tight" side?
There are several other areas you should focus on more other than slop in these touring cars "my opinion". I found some slop is good to have as the chassis/suspension components are less prone to tweak under heavy stress (like tapping a board) and binding a suspension arm. Slop isn't necessary a bad thing. Although having excessive slop in the steering rack isn't a good thing (Serpent). Tweak in these cars is huge and seems to be a never ending battle. I check for tweak every pack....

I would focus on your parts, quality and support on these parts. Nothing like needing a part 4 - 5 days prior to race day and online hobby stores are on back order.

There are three kits I would suggest that you'll be pleased with looking at the total package. VBC wildfire DO6, Xray 2014 T4 and the TC6.2

All three of these kits are very competitive "OUT THE BOX" and no need for hop ups. The only thing you would want to buy for additional tuning options would be springs and oils and possibly a front diff to replace the spool, however not necessary to go fast. I did have the hot lap at the local track I race at with my 2014 T4 "OUT THE BOX" until the layout was changed, also parts support is great.

You may have some issues here and there on the HB for parts support. I suggest you buy two HB kits if you plan on committing yourself to that car and the hobby insuring your not down, because of a part(s) that's on back order.
NEED-MORE-SPEED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 10:33 AM   #33
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEED-MORE-SPEED View Post
There are several other areas you should focus on more other than slop in these touring cars "my opinion". I found some slop is good to have as the chassis/suspension components are less prone to tweak under heavy stress (like tapping a board) and binding a suspension arm. Slop isn't necessary a bad thing. Although having excessive slop in the steering rack isn't a good thing (Serpent). Tweak in these cars is huge and seems to be a never ending battle. I check for tweak every pack....

I would focus on your parts, quality and support on these parts. Nothing like needing a part 4 - 5 days prior to race day and online hobby stores are on back order.

There are three kits I would suggest that you'll be pleased with looking at the total package. VBC wildfire DO6, Xray 2014 T4 and the TC6.2

All three of these kits are very competitive "OUT THE BOX" and no need for hop ups. The only thing you would want to buy for additional tuning options would be springs and oils and possibly a front diff to replace the spool, however not necessary to go fast. I did have the hot lap at the local track I race at with my 2014 T4 "OUT THE BOX" until the layout was changed, also parts support is great.

You may have some issues here and there on the HB for parts support. I suggest you buy two HB kits if you plan on committing yourself to that car and the hobby insuring your not down, because of a part(s) that's on back order.
I already have the HB and parts have never been an issue for me (Amain + Tower carry everything). I'm looking for a second car to play around with. And my worry is that when I get the 2nd car, that it would be drastically inferior to my HB. Xray parts and car seem to be crazy expensive. I don't mind this if the parts quality is as perfect as they claim to be.

But regarding slop, I highly disagree that any slop is good. I wouldn't use slop as a feature and don't want it in any of my cars, RC or my full-size race cars. I'm pretty anal and OCD with my suspension settings and have setup stations always on my bench. I don't want to have to accommodate for slop when I'm setting up camber, caster, toe, etc. My HB has been pretty good for that with new ballcups. I also found that some ballcups are inferior to others. To your previous point of "cheap plastics" on AE, Durango also seems to have poor plastics = sloppy, but not critical for offroad. It appears that they may have fixed that in their newer kits.

I think this was a great thread that helps narrow things down to really 2 cars: Xray and Wildfire.
XRAY XB2 2018, XRAY XB4 2017, Durango DEST210R, XRAY XB4 2014, Vaterra Slick Rock, Durango DEX210, SpeedMerchant REV4, HB TCX, Traxxas EMaxx, HPI RS4 Pro, Tamiya TA02, Yokomo YZ10, Associated RC10 Team Car, Bolink Eliminator 10, Kyosho Optima, Tamiya HotShot, Tamiya Grasshopper
theclutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 11:26 AM   #34
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by theclutch View Post
I already have the HB and parts have never been an issue for me (Amain + Tower carry everything). I'm looking for a second car to play around with. And my worry is that when I get the 2nd car, that it would be drastically inferior to my HB. Xray parts and car seem to be crazy expensive. I don't mind this if the parts quality is as perfect as they claim to be.

But regarding slop, I highly disagree that any slop is good. I wouldn't use slop as a feature and don't want it in any of my cars, RC or my full-size race cars. I'm pretty anal and OCD with my suspension settings and have setup stations always on my bench. I don't want to have to accommodate for slop when I'm setting up camber, caster, toe, etc. My HB has been pretty good for that with new ballcups. I also found that some ballcups are inferior to others. To your previous point of "cheap plastics" on AE, Durango also seems to have poor plastics = sloppy, but not critical for offroad. It appears that they may have fixed that in their newer kits.

I think this was a great thread that helps narrow things down to really 2 cars: Xray and Wildfire.
Didn't realize you already owned the HB. I had my eyes on that chassis for several weeks. Maybe it was just a bad time frame, cause I was looking at parts availability on Tower & Amain before I pulled the trigger on my 2014 T4 and some of the important composite parts were on back order for the HB.

But for the T4 - The hype is true about the quality of the plastics. When I got the car there was a full month were I pushed my driving abilities focused on the "HOT LAP" all the time and had numerous hard hits. After Destroying 3 bodies and a foam bumper. I have only broke 2 (L) steering blocks out of "at least" 100 packs (3000) laps going hard with the car. Now I'm just working on staying consistent within 2 tenths of the current hot lap. Also I have constantly wrenched on this chassis trying several different setup combo's and the chassis still has minimal slop as it did first built. The Xray is truly a fast car and will hold up to any parking lot bashers race any given day. The composite parts are worth the extra $2.00
NEED-MORE-SPEED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 12:01 PM   #35
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawaiiBob View Post
Awesomatix, and...... I haven't had to change shock oil ever......
ROFL! +1 on shock oil too on my Awesomatix.

I have had an Xray T4 '13. All their cars are well toleranced but as its been said already, some free play in certain parts is better for faster lap times.

I have switched to the Awesomatix and it is well designed and built too. Has some play in areas but the car is fast so no complaints.