R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 07-18-2005, 08:10 AM   #16
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

run with stock motors in the mod class, you will learn to run tighter lines, make less mistakes, your passing skills improve, there arnt many drivers(at the local track type level)that can be consistant enough in mod to out run a good driver with a stock motor. I know every one wants to make the A main, and be the fastest guy on the track, but if you concentrate on winning and driving clean laps with whatever group you end up qualifying in, soon you will be moving towards top mains...its all about practice and patience, without that it doesnt matter what type of car you run
Mdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2005, 08:10 AM   #17
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

If you want to improve your skills in 1/10th sedan, then run sedan. To me that is the logical answer. Why practice with another class that feels different then what you would like to improve in. Just my .02 cents
Jamie Corrado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2005, 09:31 AM   #18
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 62 (100%+)

Maybe where Mdoc if from it is OK to run stock with mod, but out here in Cali that would be completely unacceptable. Not to mention it makes no sense. Just run 2 wheel off road to learn good car control.
Old 07-18-2005, 10:10 AM   #19
Tech Master

Patric.....Iv raced probably at more tracks than you have ever been to, including several in calif, I cant remember anywhere that at least half the cars running in mod wouldnt have run more laps with a stock motor.....look at the lap times of the skilled drivers in stock the next time you race, then look at yours in mod, your comment told me what your gonna see.......
Old 07-18-2005, 10:25 AM   #20
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I would have to say 2 wheel off road buggy on a slick track......everytime I run offroad for a while, and go back to touring cars my reactions get a little bit sharper......and (for me) everytime I run my 1/12 scale and then go back to touring , it makes me a little too agressive and expect too much out of a heavy touring car(in comparison)......but as long as you keep racing against people that are better than yourself, and you hate to loose you should progress pretty fast

1/10 Scale: Associated B-5(rear motor)...Tekin RSX Gen-2 W/8.5t... Savox SC-1258-TG Servo
Joe B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2005, 10:33 AM   #21
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mdoc
Patric.....Iv raced probably at more tracks than you have ever been to, including several in calif, I cant remember anywhere that at least half the cars running in mod wouldnt have run more laps with a stock motor.....look at the lap times of the skilled drivers in stock the next time you race, then look at yours in mod, your comment told me what your gonna see.......
hey Patric! he dont know you to well does he ????

'OL BUZZARD FARMING (lol)
howard hudson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2005, 10:36 AM   #22
Tech Adept

Run with the group of people you race against and when the track is open...practice....practice....practice. Also, try and get your car as dialed as possible, makes no sense to practice with a car that is "loose" or "tight" or just plain junk.

I'll tell ya who not to run with, people that have been on the racing "circuit". People who run 5/10 laps more than you in 5 minutes. You'll find yourself pulling over to the side to get out of the way and your lap times will only discourage you from wanting to keep racing.

Clearification: 5/10 means 5 or 10 not 1half nor does 2/4 mean half.

Last edited by dlloy; 07-18-2005 at 02:02 PM.
dlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2005, 10:38 AM   #23
Tech Master

lol you might be suprised at who I know....
Old 07-18-2005, 10:43 AM   #24
Tech Elite

Quote:
lol you might be suprised at who I know....
maybe ??? but cant tell from your screen name

'OL BUZZARD FARMING (lol)
howard hudson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2005, 10:54 AM   #25
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to BigDogRacing

I must agree with the other guys that 12th scale- stock or mod will really fine tune your driving skills. If there is anyone even remotely fast in 12th scale where you race then you'll find yourself having to run accurate and consistent laps to stay on the pace.

Of course, there's not always the option of 12th scale everywhere so there are other things you can do to push yourself to go faster...

- don't race with the best batteries and motors you have or can purchase. Make your car as good as possible but handicap the power with practice packs and used motors. This will force you to depend more upon your driving and setups than power.

- if you are consistently the fastest car at your local track, then start doing the Cyrul method of club racing (I believe it was Cyrul that suggested this..)- even if you TQ, start from last place in the main. Offer to let everyone bump up a spot and place yourself in last on the starting grid. This will not only help you to learn to negotiate traffic MUCH better, but will force you be that much faster to get into first place. We all want to win, and we work hard for our qualifying position, but if you wanna get better...
BigDogRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2005, 11:02 AM   #26
Tech Master

12th scale....and electric offroad....Although both very different they will both fine tune your driving skills.....12th scale will help you learn consistency and offroad will help you learn a sense of contol due to the limited traction available as well as the jumps, bumps and other hazards....At least that is what I found...In general the more practice regardless of the track or class will help take you to the next level...

12th scale stock is what I say though.

Mike
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/vrcmag
mcmoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2005, 12:04 PM   #27
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Quote:
Very doubtful. If you put a car with a stock motor in the ProMod class at SoCal you'd get your doors blown off, no matter how good of a driver you are.
Jon Kerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2005, 12:31 PM   #28
Tech Master

if you go back to the top of this thread, you will read that RCKnight was asking how to improve his tc driving skills, not what motor he needs to be fast enough to win the promod class at SoCal, you can put a 6 turn in your car and get your doors blown off there just as easy, Big dog wrote it probably better than I did, but if you slow the speed and power down and concentrate more on your driving and set up skills, your gonna end up as a better driver than if you fight your car every race day because you want the fastest motor and battery you can find to put in it, and I still say that with a very skilled driver, at MOST club tracks or races(that is where you usually work on driving skills)the stock motor would suprise most of you.......
Old 07-18-2005, 01:10 PM   #29
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

I agree when you're learning to run a slower (stock motor) but the way you worded it, running a mod class with a stock motor is not going to make you any faster. All you're going to be doing is moving out of the way the whole race. Run the stock class if you want to run a stock motor.

As far as what will help improve driving skill, I've got to agree with those that said to run 2wd off road. A 2wd buggy is probably the hardest car there is to control. If you can learn enough throttle control to handle one, you should be able to improve tremendously in TC racing.
Jon Kerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2005, 01:15 PM   #30
Tech Addict

I've found that practicing with a faster motor helps. Then when you put a stock motor in for racing, the car feels slower and easier to put exactly where you want it.
SoCalLosiRacer is offline   Reply With Quote