R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 12-30-2013, 01:20 PM   #1
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)
Default USVTA

Im thinking about starting to run VTA. What would be a good starter setup on a very tight budget? My budget is kinda what is drawing me to VTA. Very limited selction on esc, motors, tires, etc.

My girlfriend got me a HPI E10 for xmas which got me thinking about running a touring class. I know that the E10 base would not be anywhere close to a decent starting point. AE offers a tc4 club edition, should i start looking or something along those lines or go with a different model (tc5, 6.1) or different brand all together.

Since theres only a few esc motor options, is the novak setup the only real way to go. Esc wise that is since they only allow the novak motors. Would I be ok to go with the standard Novak 25.5 or should I go ahead and get the ballistic? A main offers two combos the Edge 2s with ballistic boss 25.5 or the club edition theres only a $40 difference.

Im also having trouble finding the driver insert, a main doesnt seem to carry them.

Thank you for your input.
Kbmoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 01:36 PM   #2
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

IMHO, not to bash VTA but its probably the most expensive class to run; Motors, bodies, and tires all cost more per item then running other classes. Staying with a blinky/spec speedo keeps your cost down.

Tires: $50
Body: $25
Motor: $85

17.5 and USGT are both cheaper to run and faster .

Tires: $25-30
Body: $20
Motor: $50-60

What is biggest class at your local track? Run that class, it will be more fun.
FUTABA 2.4G FASST, Spec-R S1, Speed Passion SP-1, Sakura D3 FWD, Kyosho Evolva M3, Team Losi XX-4, Caster EX1.5R, HPI Wheelie King Crawler, Quanum Aquaholic, Joysway Wildcat
nrtv20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 01:50 PM   #3
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

In my area the 17.5 blinky and VTA classes seem to be more popular. As for tires the 26-31mm are the rule with any tires style allowed in 17.5 (slicks).

I normally run 4wd and 2wd SCT so 50 on tires is nothing IMO and having 10 sets just to be competitive is what hurts.
Kbmoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 02:27 PM   #4
Tech Addict

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

My lhs has a new unopened tc4 AE for $99, and I'm sure they would ship it to you if needed.

TLR22 / Tekin RS / D4SS 6.5 / Futaba 9551 / ORCA 6000 /SCMOD,
F14 carpet Oval Chassis too!
alloyslash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 02:34 PM   #5
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 74 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrtv20 View Post
IMHO, not to bash VTA but its probably the most expensive class to run; Motors, bodies, and tires all cost more per item then running other classes. Staying with a blinky/spec speedo keeps your cost down.

I'll agree with the tires being cheaper per set, but the motors and bodies, last time I checked (and I check often...) are going to cost about the same amount of money. Running 17.5 competitively also means running better batteries, and they aren't nearly as cheap as the 5000mah batteries typically used in VTA. The other spec classes also create more wear and tear on the chassis and driveline components, which means more parts should be replaced with more frequency if the car is to deliver repeatable results run after run. I don't think I need to bring up the "spec motor of the week" argument, but USVTA's 1 motor supplier rule prevents that problem from entering the picture.

In the 5 years I've campaigned my VTA car, I've broken 1 ball cup, 1 CVD drive pin, and stripped 1 spur gear. Most racers suffer more damage on their first day running 17.5. USGT might be a decent "middle ground" option, but the car will require more upkeep than your typical VTA effort.

Last edited by oeoeo327; 12-31-2013 at 08:46 AM.
oeoeo327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 04:58 PM   #6
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kbmoss View Post
Im thinking about starting to run VTA. What would be a good starter setup on a very tight budget? My budget is kinda what is drawing me to VTA. Very limited selction on esc, motors, tires, etc.

My girlfriend got me a HPI E10 for xmas which got me thinking about running a touring class. I know that the E10 base would not be anywhere close to a decent starting point. AE offers a tc4 club edition, should i start looking or something along those lines or go with a different model (tc5, 6.1) or different brand all together.

Since theres only a few esc motor options, is the novak setup the only real way to go. Esc wise that is since they only allow the novak motors. Would I be ok to go with the standard Novak 25.5 or should I go ahead and get the ballistic? A main offers two combos the Edge 2s with ballistic boss 25.5 or the club edition theres only a $40 difference.

Im also having trouble finding the driver insert, a main doesnt seem to carry them.

Thank you for your input.
As this looks to be your first venture into on-road and going to purchase on-line vs local.

I would strongly suggest this combo;

First; look at what is being run were you will be running. That way, you have setup help and parts support locally at the Track you are using and racing at.

If you are going to buy completely new:

TC4 Club Racer with the (2) optional sway kits.

HPI 68 Camaro Body for durability as you are learning and getting comfortable

Either the Club/25.5 or Edge/25.5 combo is good (the edge combo will give you more versatility done the road).

If you can find the Parma Ultimate bumper for a TC4, get it or use the Parma "make your own bumper" block to save the front end.

You can always find decent used VTA rollers or components on the for sale thread.
Old 12-30-2013, 05:02 PM   #7
Tech Elite

Quote:

Not necessarily, my tire bill for a year is (3) sets per year in VTA, my sons 17.5 tire bill is (4) sets per month.

I have my original SS 25.5 from a few years ago and (2) used Ballistics that I bought from guys who said "they were slow". My son has over a dozen 17.5's that we have replaced over the last year.

I use (2) vta bodies a year, my son's TC/GT body usage is 3-4 times that.

Just my experience and yours may differ
Old 12-31-2013, 08:12 AM   #8
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ercwhtsd View Post
Not necessarily, my tire bill for a year is (3) sets per year in VTA, my sons 17.5 tire bill is (4) sets per month.

I have my original SS 25.5 from a few years ago and (2) used Ballistics that I bought from guys who said "they were slow". My son has over a dozen 17.5's that we have replaced over the last year.

I use (2) vta bodies a year, my son's TC/GT body usage is 3-4 times that.

Just my experience and yours may differ
+1! I thought VTA was going to be expensive but in comparison to my 17.5 class. VTA is way cheaper!
Josh-n-ya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 08:38 AM   #9
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 69 (100%+)

Quote:

I disagree on almost every item and I think you are comparing apples to oranges. My sedan goes through more tires, parts, and maintenance than my VTA ever has.

Initial cost for body and tires might be more but I am on the same VTA body for over 3 months and a similiar amount on my VTA tires. For sedan I am on a new set every month and a body every or every other month. Investing in a tube of shoe-goo and a dry wall tape is a good move.

Looking at A-Main the Novak 25.5 and 17.7 are the same price (and unlike 17.5 we haven't had the motor of the month club like 17.5 has).

Lastly, my spec sedan gets a ton more attention and maintenance with everything being checked/rebuilt. This leads to higher cost in replacement parts (worn/broken, tweaked).

To the OP: Sorry for hijacking your thread a bit but wanted to set the record straight from someone who actually runs both classes (And did run USGT as well until it died off).

I would look at the f/s section for a T3 Xray for between $150-200 for a roller. Get the Hobbywing JuStock (~$50) for your esc (and you can later used it in USGT or 17.5 Blinky). Get either the Ballistic or Boss Novak (the SS is a good bit older and doesn't have any mechanical timing).

VTA is a great class and a blast to run. Check out the (long) threads on both.
mkiiina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 05:37 PM   #10
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Novak SS does have timing in the motor....loosen the 3 screws and turn...simple...

also not cause of what anybody has posted...

truth....you cant buy a win in USVTA, you will have expense to get started, but the equipment last as long as you will let it....normal running/racing you will see profit every month compared to any other class......lastest most expensive wont get you a "W" and if anybody think you can, Ill race what ever you want to put up....
1172 Park Ave, Murfreesboro, TN 37129
DARKSIDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 06:25 PM   #11
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by oeoeo327 View Post
I'll agree with the tires being cheaper per set, but the motors and bodies, last time I checked (and I check often...) are going to cost about the same amount of money. Running 17.5 competitively also means running better batteries, and they aren't nearly as cheap as the 5000mah batteries typically used in VTA. The other spec classes also create more wear and tear on the chassis and driveline components, which means more parts should be replaced with more frequency if the car is to deliver repeatable results run after run. I don't think I need to bring up the "spec motor of the week" argument, but USVTA's 1 motor supplier rule prevents that problem from entering the picture.

In the 5 years I've campaigned my VTA car, I've broken 1 ball cup, 1 CVD drive pin, and stripped 1 spur gear. Most racers suffer more damage on their first day running 17.5. USGT might be a decent "middle ground" option, but the car will require more upkeep than your typical VTA effort.
For those that don't know, this guy is the MAN for VTA @ Horsham. He has helped myself and many others in VTA and other classes numerous amounts of time. I would be totally lost in VTA if not for Barry.
Barry is like the E F HUTTON of VTA.
I know I see ALOT of people offering advice on RC TECH, but this guy KNOWS!!!
RC AMERICA / XRAY / HUDY / TEAM POWERS
godzukihop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 08:05 PM   #12
Tech Champion

Im not sure if Im offended?...or maybe 16 hour work days since Thanksgiving kicking in...lol

HAPPY NEW YEAR...BE SAFE
Old 12-31-2013, 08:20 PM   #13
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by DARKSIDE View Post
Im not sure if Im offended?...or maybe 16 hour work days since Thanksgiving kicking in...lol

HAPPY NEW YEAR...BE SAFE
, we are both chopped liver , have a great New Year Myron and tell the girls we said hello, see you in FT. Wayne
Old 12-31-2013, 08:24 PM   #14
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 74 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DARKSIDE View Post

HAPPY NEW YEAR...BE SAFE
This class wouldn't be where it is today without the efforts of those that promote the class locally, regionally and nationally. Those of us that love this class and follow the VTA threads here fully acknowledge your numerous contributions to this great class, myself included...
Old 01-01-2014, 12:34 AM   #15
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by ercwhtsd View Post
, we are both chopped liver , have a great New Year Myron and tell the girls we said hello, see you in FT. Wayne
Thanks Eric, I let them talk me into a game of Guitar Hero...omg, I really suck at video games now....3 hours of "I WANT TO ROCK AND ROLL ALL NITE" and I couldn't wait for the eggnog to kick in and put me to sleep...lol..Im still up...

they said HNY to you and all the Chi-town racers...cya soon

Quote:
Originally Posted by oeoeo327 View Post
This class wouldn't be where it is today without the efforts of those that promote the class locally, regionally and nationally. Those of us that love this class and follow the VTA threads here fully acknowledge your numerous contributions to this great class, myself included...
taking my bow and going to sleep...lol...all jokes never take me serious unless you are hurting the class...lol...is it 7am yet...

cya and God Bless you all

Myron
Attached Thumbnails
USVTA-happy-new-year.jpg