R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 01-10-2011, 10:36 AM   #46
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

LOL. I bet everyone now is running brushless motors. Now with lipo. Brush is dead. Only good for vintage or collecting.
rc10t3b4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 11:10 AM   #47
Tech Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Hohwart View Post
I would say at least 10 - 15 years for brushless to completely take over racing. It may never happen.
Ha Ha !
Wild Cherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 11:35 AM   #48
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rc10t3b4 View Post
LOL. I bet everyone now is running brushless motors. Now with lipo. Brush is dead. Only good for vintage or collecting.
I would take that bet......and take your money. Silver can is a brushed motor, and STILL going VERY STRONG in many different classes all over the world.

Never mind that there are decades worth of sales of brushed motors that are still going strong at local clubs and tracks everywhere. Just because a new product comes along doesn't mean that every generation throws out it's old stuff to buy the new just because ROAR says so. What was it, just 2 or 3 years ago that the onroad/oval classes were still all brushed? And brushless has been around in the hobby industry since the Novak/Hacker stuff of the late 90s/early 2000s?

I mean, heck, we didn't break our LPs, 45s or 8 tracks when casettes came along, or trash casettes when CDs came along, or toss out our CDs when Digital Audio Tape was invented, or throw it all out when digital downloads came along........Phase out takes FOREVER, especially when the simple tool works. Look at how now LPs and 45s are making a comeback!

Tekin & Sweep, thanks for all that you do for you know who!

Associated/T.O.P./Mugen/Fantom/Spektrum/Savox
Buckaroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 11:58 AM   #49
Tech Master

ha, ha, that Hohwart quote sure is funny.

Funny too is the fact that Ive a brushed motor plugged for breaking in as I type- it's for my Ultima. Yeah, the buggy from the 80's.
Old 01-10-2011, 12:54 PM   #50
Tech Addict

I[GVIDEO][/GVIDEO]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckaroo View Post
I would take that bet......and take your money. Silver can is a brushed motor, and STILL going VERY STRONG in many different classes all over the world.

Never mind that there are decades worth of sales of brushed motors that are still going strong at local clubs and tracks everywhere. Just because a new product comes along doesn't mean that every generation throws out it's old stuff to buy the new just because ROAR says so. What was it, just 2 or 3 years ago that the onroad/oval classes were still all brushed? And brushless has been around in the hobby industry since the Novak/Hacker stuff of the late 90s/early 2000s?

I mean, heck, we didn't break our LPs, 45s or 8 tracks when casettes came along, or trash casettes when CDs came along, or toss out our CDs when Digital Audio Tape was invented, or throw it all out when digital downloads came along........Phase out takes FOREVER, especially when the simple tool works. Look at how now LPs and 45s are making a comeback!
I still buy brush motors BC they bring back good memories. Plus you can find amazing used condition dirt cheap. You should see my wall...full of brand-new stocks motors. Heck I just bought a new race prep from a hobby shop in Canada. I still use a p2k for practice. But for racing or mod brushless all the way. My Tekin 8.5t is over 2 years old and still produces a lot of power and been in onroad off-road and nonstop bashing. Most top motor manufactures don't even sell brush motors except for crawlers. I called everywhere for a brand new CO27 pro and everyone says discontinue. Brushless has taken over and even introduce new classes that wouldn't even exist if it was brush. 1/8 racing. Brushless combos can be bought cheaper then just some brush esc systems alone and are far more powerful...Castle Sidewinder for example. I'm not putting brush down. I love working on them but brush is dead.
Old 01-10-2011, 01:07 PM   #51
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

I can still say that I buy brushed almost as much as brushless for the laid back enjoyment of driving some of the cars/trucks in my garage. No need to always push the speed boundaries to have fun. But there is nothing like the sound of a high revving brushless motor Seeing as the margin of affordability is closing between the two, brushless will become more common place until the next technology hits the market. Though I agree that as long as vintage cars are being collected, brushed will always have a niche in the market, alongside mechanical speed controllers
Njcted4lfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 01:16 PM   #52
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to AudioStylz

LOL holy old post rewakening! I have not heard the brushed motor name "p2k" in FOREVER!!!! This post was started back in July of 2005, that was when I was racing at a track that was just about to close down and was eventually my 4 year hiatus from RC Racing. I used to race stock rubber 27t touring cars back then with a FT TC3 (it was 1 of the best back then). I had soooo many 19t and 27t motors that I could probably ran the last 4 years with brushed technology. I still have 4 brushed motors, 3 brushed escs, 3 NiMH 3300 stick packs, 2 Duratrax intellipeak chargers and an Airtronics M8 radio with the FM 75mhz channel 70 radio!! And a partridge in a pear tree! I'm selling the Radio but the rest is being kept as an old school collection to remind me what used to be the best in the touring car world before 2005.

My classic collection: (not all that impressive)
Esc:
Novak Cyclone TC
Novak Rooster Reversible
LRP IPC Super Sport Digital

Motor:
Epic Pro 27t stock
Epic 19t mod
Venom 21t mod (this motor was used for the mini cooper class back in 2003 with the M-01/M-02)
Kyosho 11t mod (this motor was absolutely balistic! Could not control any rc car with this motor installed)

Battery:
GP 3300mah 6 cells x3

Charger:
Duratrax Intellipeak charger x2 (both still work but the batteries are shot)

Brushed technology is still being used, especially for Stock Spec Slash, several Tamiya rc cars and other classes.

10-15 years??? It's only been 3-4 years and the take over has happened.
Old 01-10-2011, 02:16 PM   #53
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudioStylz View Post
LOL holy old post rewakening! I have not heard the brushed motor name "p2k" in FOREVER!!!! This post was started back in July of 2005, that was when I was racing at a track that was just about to close down and was eventually my 4 year hiatus from RC Racing. I used to race stock rubber 27t touring cars back then with a FT TC3 (it was 1 of the best back then). I had soooo many 19t and 27t motors that I could probably ran the last 4 years with brushed technology. I still have 4 brushed motors, 3 brushed escs, 3 NiMH 3300 stick packs, 2 Duratrax intellipeak chargers and an Airtronics M8 radio with the FM 75mhz channel 70 radio!! And a partridge in a pear tree! I'm selling the Radio but the rest is being kept as an old school collection to remind me what used to be the best in the touring car world before 2005.

My classic collection: (not all that impressive)
Esc:
Novak Cyclone TC
Novak Rooster Reversible
LRP IPC Super Sport Digital

Motor:
Epic Pro 27t stock
Epic 19t mod
Venom 21t mod (this motor was used for the mini cooper class back in 2003 with the M-01/M-02)
Kyosho 11t mod (this motor was absolutely balistic! Could not control any rc car with this motor installed)

Battery:
GP 3300mah 6 cells x3

Charger:
Duratrax Intellipeak charger x2 (both still work but the batteries are shot)

Brushed technology is still being used, especially for Stock Spec Slash, several Tamiya rc cars and other classes.

10-15 years??? It's only been 3-4 years and the take over has happened.
Man I can't even begin to count how many I have total but nib on my wall. green machine 3 pro, paradox pro, p2k pro, binary stock, co27, GM racing pinnacle gold, fantom roar, brca and co27 base, 2 integy kos evo30. I have a co27 pro , corally 27 and race prep competitor stock motor on the way. I have countless other stock motors used and just got some mods I got today. Its fun for vintage or practice but for bashing and racing brushless is just better and overall cheaper.
Old 01-10-2011, 10:26 PM   #54
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to AudioStylz

Quote:
Originally Posted by rc10t3b4 View Post
Man I can't even begin to count how many I have total but nib on my wall. green machine 3 pro, paradox pro, p2k pro, binary stock, co27, GM racing pinnacle gold, fantom roar, brca and co27 base, 2 integy kos evo30. I have a co27 pro , corally 27 and race prep competitor stock motor on the way. I have countless other stock motors used and just got some mods I got today. Its fun for vintage or practice but for bashing and racing brushless is just better and overall cheaper.
Who knows, my Traxxas Slash is getting a 12t brushed motor. Now it's no p2k pro or Epic Pro 27t but this is the motor used for Slash Stock Spec classes, especially at the Short Course Showdown that is going to be held sometime in April or May. For club racing I plan on running my current Epic 19t and Epic Pro 27t in the slash which should be fun! If that Epic Pro could spin all 4 tires in a touring car on properly broke in cs27 take off rubber slicks with burned in traction compund??? This Slash is going to be something insane!!
Old 01-12-2011, 12:36 AM   #55
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudioStylz View Post
Who knows, my Traxxas Slash is getting a 12t brushed motor. Now it's no p2k pro or Epic Pro 27t but this is the motor used for Slash Stock Spec classes, especially at the Short Course Showdown that is going to be held sometime in April or May. For club racing I plan on running my current Epic 19t and Epic Pro 27t in the slash which should be fun! If that Epic Pro could spin all 4 tires in a touring car on properly broke in cs27 take off rubber slicks with burned in traction compund??? This Slash is going to be something insane!!
Oh not doubt about it brush motors are very powerful. My p2k will pull from 10.5t brushless on the straight in my t4 and have some much control in the corners. Maybe I am looking at it differently. If you look at overall cost a brushless setup is cheaper then a brush. No lathes, brushes, zapping and armature replacements needed. The amount of money you save on equipment easily pays for a top of the line brushless setup. Sure you can buy all that dirt cheap eBay but it still adds up. I don't have to worry...I have a crapload of brushes and motors LOL. But the power of a brushless is so addicting. But I never ran a mod brush motor before so it might be fun. Going to try a epic shock 12x2 LOL.
Old 01-13-2011, 07:12 PM   #56
KoE
Tech Master

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Send a message via Yahoo to KoE

trueing the comm, aligning the brushes, centering the arm were insanely fun.....nope?