Help With Tyre Choice

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Help With Tyre Choice

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2013, 01:27 AM
Tech Initiate

Maybe some cultural sensitivity training is in order?
Old 12-31-2013, 01:28 AM
Tech Initiate

also, if anybody knows, what size hex does the Associated Tc4 have?
Old 12-31-2013, 01:45 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 65 (100%+)
Questions??

Disregard

Last edited by Antimullet; 12-31-2013 at 01:58 AM.
Old 12-31-2013, 09:47 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

The US took its independence in every aspect, including language... I still say it should be tire , not tyre(reminds me of tyrant Europe)... By the way, nobody owns any language, dialect, or means of communication: it's an illusion created to keep you controlled..... Embrace your independence, and say Tire, Tya(ghetto), or anything else but the word tyre of the old imperialist rulers !!!! You guys need to wake up fast !!!
By the way, the new Sweep qts32 are very good on all surfaces....
Old 12-31-2013, 10:02 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by bertrandsv87
The US took its independence in every aspect, including language... I still say it should be tire , not tyre(reminds me of tyrant Europe)... By the way, nobody owns any language, dialect, or means of communication: it's an illusion created to keep you controlled..... Embrace your independence, and say Tire, Tya(ghetto), or anything else but the word tyre of the old imperialist rulers !!!! You guys need to wake up fast !!!
By the way, the new Sweep qts32 are very good on all surfaces....
You are so embarrassing.

Sweeps are only good for about a race day, btw.
Old 12-31-2013, 10:09 AM
Tech Champion

Smile

I guess nobody here is proud of America's independence ! Any Communists here??? I count a few already....
The Sweep Tires are fine , and outperform the competition in all classes....
Old 12-31-2013, 10:12 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ChickenRC
also, if anybody knows, what size hex does the Associated Tc4 have?
12mm hexes... That's the standard hex size for most (if not all) touring cars.
Old 12-31-2013, 10:17 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Sean B.
Sweeps are only good for about a race day, btw.
They'll last a little longer on carpet, however, on asphalt QTS32s have about a 3-4 run lifespan.
Old 12-31-2013, 10:21 AM
Tech Champion

It all depends on temps, Car setup, surface , etc..., but the Sweep Tires are the ”tire” of choice, period ! You can try the 36's and 40's for longevity too....
Old 12-31-2013, 10:28 AM
Dan
Tech Champion

I guess nobody here is proud of America's independence ! Any Communists here??? I count a few already....
The Sweep Tires are fine , and outperform the competition in all classes....
Communists? LOL...holy shiet, you are all sorts of f-ed up.

I guess you should convert your Awesomatix to all standard hardware instead of metric. Otherwise, you're a communist right...
Old 12-31-2013, 10:55 AM
Tech Champion

Ideas like Capitalism/Communism are in the mind, not in the Rc toys(Awesomatix)... Take control of your mind !!!
Don't troll me Dan.......
Old 12-31-2013, 10:59 AM
Dan
Tech Champion

Don't troll me Dan.......
Take your own advice first with the whole forum.
Old 12-31-2013, 11:15 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 68 (100%+)

If you are going to be doing any "street driving" i would look into a treaded tire. such as HPI x patterns. They will wear better than all the race slicks. If you want them softer, for a bit more they hhave a "pro compound" as well.

this thread has drifted a bit...
Old 12-31-2013, 11:48 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ChickenRC
Hellooooo,

I need help with tyres. I do not know what size or type to get.
The vehicle that I will install them on will be an Associated TC4 Club Racer Kit.
http://www.modelsport.co.uk/associat...roducts/368681
I will be using the vehicle on tarmac and concrete mostly, but I might use it on a heavily varnished sports hall a few times. But, remember, mostly on tarmac and concrete.
Also, if you can suggest any tyres for me that would be great , but my budget for tyres is £10 - 15. This is for all 4 tyres. I know it is low, but I am spending a lot on the vehicle.

Thanks.
I am sure enjoying the theatre of this thread. It certainly is very colourful. I'm hoping the responses stay civilised and people don't continue to criticise spelling. I also hope no one takes offence at my attempt at humour.

----------

To answer the OP's questions...

As stated the TC4 uses 12mm wheel hexes, which is considered standard for 1/10 scale 4wd touring cars.

There are many different companies that make 1/10 wheels & tires. You can find a wide variety of both from companies like HPI Racing, Tamiya or even Team Associated. However there are also many different companies that sell wheels/tires. Sometimes availability can be limited based on location around the world.

As a general rule, just about any foam or rubber tire will work well enough on rough concrete regardless of temperature. Concrete that has a broom finish such as the picture below will have plenty of grip with very little prep (other than blowing off dust/debris)

It can be more challenging to choose the right tire for tarmac/asphalt. Depending on the age of the surface, temperature, or if a sealant has been used you may a different tire to achieve desired grip levels. To improve traction many clubs will use a sugar water solution sprayed onto the surface. A quick search on RCTECH will show various way to make/apply sugar water including hints on keeping bugs away.

Heavily varnished (wood or concrete) floors can be the hardest to achieve the desired level of grip. Since the surface tends to be very smooth, any amount of dust will be like driving on an ice rink (but it is great for drifting). Since these type of surfaces are typically found indoors, the owners typically frown on applying additives to the floor to improve grip. Here is an old thread on RCTECH that might be useful (http://www.rctech.net/forum/electric...od-floors.html)

One final thought. Since you are located in the UK, I would recommend seeking out a local club to ask for advice. You might start in the UK RACING forums here on RCTECH (http://www.rctech.net/forum/uk-racing-136/). Luckily people in the UK race 1/10 touring cars on just about any surface and weather (including rain) so someone near you might have the answers you are looking for. They also might have some used/spare tires sitting around for you to try (hopefully for cheap/free).

Hope this info helps.
Old 12-31-2013, 12:01 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Most touring car tires will have a 'shore' rating which indicates how hard the tires are.

In general higher shore ratings work better on higher grip tracks and/or track surfaces that are hotter (asphalt on a hot sunny day).

Lower shore ratings work better on lower grip tracks and/or track surfaces that are colder (cold cloudy day).

----------

I should also have mentioned in my previous post there are plenty of good pre-mounted tires on wheels from various manufacturers. Pre-mounts can be good options for people new the hobby. However be aware that even pre-mounted tires can come un-glued from the wheels, so it is a good idea to have quality super-glue on hand.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.