Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Fact or Fiction: One-Ways and the year 2003

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2002, 09:49 AM
Tech Master

Godzilla

ROAR's stance on regional and national events is to allow racers of all levels to participate. I totally agree with this. The hacking that we are speaking of was occuring at all levels.

Hmmm... maybe I shouldn't have brought this up again Seems like March again.
Old 09-10-2002, 01:25 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I guess I don't see what not allowing oneways would accomplish. About half the top-line cars come with oneways, about half come with diff/locked layshaft. People who drive in too deep with a oneway, will drive in too deep with a diff too, probably. I can understand that if there's a wreck in front of you, and you don't have brakes because of a oneway you're probably going to run into it... but even with brakes if it's that close to you, most people would run into it anyways. Maybe no oneways will allow people to out-brake each other entering turns... that could also mean the person ahead entering the turn, will probably come down on the person driving in deeper, because when the person ahead starts his turn-in, he's clear and might not expect to have somebody roll up along side of him... so it might just mean more wrecks.

In all honesty, I really don't care if oneways are allowed or not. In foam classes I usually don't use them anyways. And in rubber classes, I can drive a car either way. I just don't see what banning oneways would accomplish.
Old 09-10-2002, 04:19 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

It's funny all the realism freaks out there are saying it will make it more to scale, but then they run foams. Also who says you can't have brakes with a one-way? Barry runs double oneways and I have seen him use brakes at SoCal all the time. Your car is supposed to be setup correctly (no Tweak), and you will have brakes. You won't be able to turn and use brakes, but you break before the turn and accelerate out. Or you can roll on the throttle which is what I normally do.
Old 09-10-2002, 06:02 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I dont know about the rest of you, but there is nothing more exciting than driving in a tight race with at least one other car. One corner you gain some ground, next you brake late and go inside for the pass, but your a little wide coming out so he passes you again, but he takes the next corner just wide enough for a 190mm chassis to get through, so you peg it through the corner to day light and just hope you dont make the same mistake he just did!!

That is exciting!!
I think one-ways should be banned, locked diffs should be legel, because racers have always been able to adjust the tightness of the diffs, and removing the option to tighten the lock nut all the way down, or install a solid axle is to large a change. If they ban solid axles, do they have to test to see if you normal diff can turn? It is just stupid.

Get rid of one ways because no body wants to see one guy win by 2 laps.

IMO two cars racing side by side look a lot faster than a single car going through the same section.
Old 09-10-2002, 07:02 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I agree with Damo, I can use my brakes on my 414 with dual oneways and not worry about spinning out. I've even used them in mid turn just to kick around alittle if I am not gonna make the turn tight enough or swing out too wide. It's just throttle control. Proper setup is key.

And I've had plenty of tight races with a oneway. It's just knowing how to drive and how "not" to get in the way without spinning each other out is key.

Anyways, I'm not a control freak.... so Let the One-ways run!
Old 09-10-2002, 07:41 PM
R/C Tech Founder

Originally posted by mab_man20
Get rid of one ways because no body wants to see one guy win by 2 laps.
If one guy is winning by two laps -- or even one lap -- it has nothing to do with a one-way diff.

I have never been to a big race (anything above the club level) and gotten bored watching the A mains for lack of competition.
Old 09-11-2002, 01:17 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

The diffs have the upper hand in tight racing. If im running a diff and the guy im racing in front has a one way i know the maneuver. Give him a lil nudge and he goes right around. He tries it to me and it doesnt work. The diff just keeps loading which allows the car to suck into the corners. This allows for some good fender banging tight racing. That is whats fun. Not having a qual where if u get into someone just a lil bit to pass them and u spin. thats crap. the diff allows less mistakes in the process. easier to set up for also.
Old 09-11-2002, 08:19 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Ahh a hack I see!!
Old 09-11-2002, 08:56 PM
Tech Adept

Why need to banned one way?
If you find dual diff easier to drive, use dual diff. If you find one way make you faster, why not use it? Let the player choose what is best for them. Banned the one-way will only limited the choice of the racer.
If the race authority get anal about one-way, they should also control the tire and motor. Let everybody use the same tire and motor. (or even the same chasis, and all these stuff is to be 'selected' by the authority)
I think it is a business issue rather than fairness issue.
Old 09-13-2002, 12:59 PM
Tech Regular

I think front one-way is great. It allows you to carry much more speed through tight turns, with a little throttle manipulation. Also, if you are worried about being bumped and spinning out, then stay on the gas. The front one way is only effective when OFF the throttle. You still have 4WD when On the throttle.
Old 09-13-2002, 01:16 PM
ruf
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Obviously, the majority of the supporters that want one-ways banned are hacks. If you can't drive side-by-side through a chicane with a one-way, you won't be able to do it with a diff either. The guys that run full-time 4WD and are good at it seem pretty indifferent. And intentionally spinning someone out mid corner? Wow, that's something I'd readily admit to. Geez, where did you learn to drive much less race? There are simple lines to thwart a hard-charging, hard-braking driver. My mantra: "Corner speed is king."

"the diff allows less mistakes in the process. easier to set up for also." Is this supposed to be fun? Is it supposed to be easy? Mistakes and overcoming them is what makes most hobbies fun for people. If billiard balls and pockets were magnetic, bowling pins were balanced upside-down, and basketball goals were 3' across, I don't think you'd see many people bothering.

Last edited by ruf; 09-13-2002 at 01:22 PM.
Old 09-13-2002, 02:45 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

one-ways don't punt people. people punt people.
Old 09-14-2002, 06:44 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

I'm not saying u can't drive side by side with one ways. I have done it before. And who are u to be calling people hacks just because they dont like one ways and use diffs. There are plenty of fast guys using diffs also. Me included. The diffs make it so much easier to drive without mistakes.

I tried the locked front diff on tuesday. That sucks car was way loose off. I went right back to diff. I guess i will have to work with it for awhile. I worked with a one way for 8 weeks and still couldnt get the rear plant i wanted.
Old 09-14-2002, 08:00 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Originally posted by Trinityracinnut
I'm not saying u can't drive side by side with one ways. I have done it before. And who are u to be calling people hacks just because they dont like one ways and use diffs. There are plenty of fast guys using diffs also. Me included. The diffs make it so much easier to drive without mistakes.

I tried the locked front diff on tuesday. That sucks car was way loose off. I went right back to diff. I guess i will have to work with it for awhile. I worked with a one way for 8 weeks and still couldnt get the rear plant i wanted.
I don't think the guy was calling you a hack because you don't like oneway's...........it could have been the comment about giving someone a little nudge and they'll go right around. The way you worded that post it sounds like you tap people from behind. I'm sure you didn't mean it the way it sounds but that may be the way people who read your post are taking it.
Old 09-14-2002, 10:44 AM
dtm
Tech Champion

Originally posted by Trinityracinnut
........... I worked with a one way for 8 weeks and still couldnt get the rear plant i wanted.
Looks like you were setting the car up wrong.....you cannot expect the same handling characteristics using a one-way as with full time 4WD......if that is your aim.....then why did you install it in the first place??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.