R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 12-25-2013, 01:17 PM   #1
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)
Default Jaco tires

Merry Christmas I have a question about Jaco 12th tires what are the different compounds good for so many colors but how do you choose properly . I race at a year old track an am going to a track with new carpet. I am also going to to Cleveland New Year's Day and was wondering what tire compound to use

Thanks Chris
bigcracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 01:37 PM   #2
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to Me_MrTyson Send a message via Skype™ to Me_MrTyson
Default depends on grip levels

My personal choice

pink rear in low grip magenta once grip rises once the tires are tacky move to yellows.
Magenta fronts or pink once grip is up magenta / magenta is a good combo unless becomes tacky

I run 10.5 think slower motors work better with a harder front more double pink or purple ... that is more what I read in the forums

Here is the tire info on jaco

"REAR COMPOUNDS

For carpet racing, there are basically only 3 compounds of rear tyre worth worrying about. They are as follows

Yellow – 30 shore US foam
The softest of the three suggested compounds. Usually makes the rear end of the car feel ‘stuck’ to*
the track. Often good when the grip is high, contrary to logic which would suggest that it’s soft shore*
would make it good in low grip conditions. Good for drivers who like the car to feel safe and easy to*
drive. However, yellows are prone to chunking since they are very soft, and their low rubber content*
means they aren’t as tough as JAP foam. Yellows have become less popular since the introduction of*
link style cars. They used to be the tyre of choice on t-bar cars, but it seems that JAP foam is more*
suited to link cars. An alternative to yellows are oranges; these are yellows with a grey (35 shore US
foam) outer ring (grey-low for CRC tyres). The hard outer ring usually gives a bit more steering, but*
also strengthens the tyre somewhat to help prevent chunking.

Pink – 30 shore JAP foam
The softest of the JAP compounds. Pinks tend to free up the rear end of the car and give it more*
steering than yellows. Usually the tyre of choice for club racing or in low grip conditions; you will see*
most of the top drivers running pink rears on the Saturday morning of a national meeting. Pinks are*
quite tough and are less prone to chunking than yellows, but are soft enough to provide reasonable*
levels of grip.*

Magenta – 32 shore JAP foam
Magentas are basically harder pinks! They don’t always give more steering than pinks, but they are*
definitely harder wearing. Drivers will often switch from pink to magenta rears if they experience a*
loss of rear grip in the final two minutes of a race when running pinks. The fact that magentas are*
harder means they are the least prone to chunking of the three tyres suggested for the rear. These*
are currently the rear tyre of choice for most link car drivers.*

Racer’s Choice*
“If you’re a regular club racer then pink rears will be your safest bet, but for the higher grip of a*
national you may find magentas to be the preferred choice. Different cars and drivers prefer different
tyres, but I will usually run a JAP compound on the rear whenever I can as they are harder wearing*
and less prone to chunking. With the move to 1S li-po and link cars, I have found myself using yellow*
rears less and less frequently. This isn’t a bad thing, as the fact they are softer means they aren’t as*
tough and they go gummy more quickly as a result of repeated additive application. This isn’t such a*
problem with pinks and magentas.” – Mark Stiles Front Compounds

FRONT COMPOUNDS

Purple – 40 shore JAP foam

Purple fronts always used to be the base setting tyre for 1/12
th scale racing. However, this was back*
when the cars were heavier and we used different additive. The current cars are over 100g lighter*
than their predecessors and this has a massive effect on the weight distribution and balance of the*
car. For competitive racing, purples are just too hard to be useful now!*

Lilac – 38 shore JAP foam
Lilacs, while softer than purples, are still pretty damn hard! If you like a really safe car then they
might be an option, but you’re not going to be winning any A finals with them fitted. They are*
obviously hard wearing, so might be worth considering if you’re going club racing and want a tyre*
you can get lots of runs from or run a few times in a day. Also consider lilacs if you have come from*
other classes and are not used to driving such responsive cars.*

2x Pink – 35 shore JAP foam
Double pinks are a middle ground, and are probably what have replaced purples as the base setting*
tyre for the front of the car. They tend to give the car a neutral to slight under steer feel, which is*
ideal for most drivers, especially those looking for a consistent and easy to drive setup.

Magenta – 32 shore JAP foam
The front tyre of choice for most of the top drivers. Magentas make for a car with lots of mid corner*
steering, and will usually return the quickest lap times for top level drivers. They give a nice balance*
and feel through the corner without making the car become snatchy or unpredictable. They may*
however give too much front end for the average Joe (particularly at low speed), making 2x pinks a*
better choice for the majority.*

Pink – 30 shore JAP foam
The softest front tyre available. Used mostly on tight, twisty tracks where a very front-endy car is*
desired. They do have a tendency to peel away from the rims easily though and they wear very*
quickly too. If you want loads of front end then go ahead, but they aren’t for the faint hearted!*

Black – 35 shore US foam
Blacks are 35 shore, but made from a different kind of foam than double pinks. They suffer less with*
a problem known as ‘pickup’ – when the track is really grippy and the tyres go sticky during a run,*
often causing grip roll to occur. Blacks are therefore sometimes useful in very high grip conditions.*
Sometimes a good choice on duo carpet at nationals where grip roll can become a problem."

Last edited by Me_MrTyson; 12-25-2013 at 03:14 PM. Reason: add extra info
Me_MrTyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 04:02 PM   #3
Tech Regular

We haven't ran those compounds in over a year. For 1/12 stock you want Green Rear and Black or Gray front's. Some like Gray-Low rears also. For 1/12 Mod Blue rears and Magenta fronts is all you need.

At the gate Green rear and black fronts have been good for the Pro One guy's in 17.5

The days of pinks and magenta's being the tire of choice are long gone.

Steve
Pro One R/C
sdunnmcp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 04:38 PM   #4
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to Me_MrTyson Send a message via Skype™ to Me_MrTyson

Seems there is a new breed of tires hitting the market guess I am behind the times

Jft, uliti not forgetting the pro nor R/c

Once my backlog of jaco tires are used up where is the best place to purchase the green black and grey tries ??

Tested the Jft c foam and did not like it the a version seems much better
Old 12-25-2013, 05:04 PM   #5
Tech Addict

I have been buying all my Jacos at SMC Batteries that is the best price

Thanks Chris

Last edited by bigcracing; 12-25-2013 at 05:40 PM.
Old 12-25-2013, 05:19 PM   #6
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Try BSR Team Purple fronts and Green Rears.
Check out the following website for excellent prices
http://www.muddslidemotorsports.com
idbdoug
idbdoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 05:38 PM   #7
Tech Addict

I have been buying all my Jacos at SMC Batteries that is the best price
For tires and batteries and now motors. Check them out.
Thanks Chris
Old 12-26-2013, 01:12 PM   #8
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 46 (100%+)

Running Jacos on carpet, you are almost always safe running black fronts and yellow or orange rears. For carpet racing most people prefer running exotic foam because it doesn't gum up mid-way through a race like foam with high rubber content. Your exotics in the Jaco line from hardest to softest are: Black, Gray, Yellow, White. The Orange compound I mentioned earlier is a combination of yellow with an outside ring of gray.
biz77 is offline   Reply With Quote