R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 12-23-2013, 07:10 AM   #1
Tech Apprentice

Default Brushed motors and waterproofing

Hi,
I have 2 things to talk about/ask
the 1st id about MODIFIED brushed motors. I know most normal brushed motors are waterproof to a certain extent, but are the modified ones waterproof as well?
The second is about waterproofing receivers. How would I do this? I would like to just stick a balloon and/or some sellotape over it, or do nothing (because they have been pretty waterproof/splash proof for me so far), but I would like to do it properly.
I know about receiver boxes, but haven't found any waterproof ones yet. if you find one, I WANT TO KNOW

thanks and please help?
Old 12-23-2013, 11:16 PM   #2
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 65 (100%+)

no motor is "waterproof" yes, they will run in water, but they will rust up pretty quickly as well, no difference between modified or stock brushed motors. for waterproofing receivers, get either a box (the traxxas receiver boxes are waterproof), or buy waterproof receivers.
ThePanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 11:28 PM   #3
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChickenRC View Post
Hi,
I have 2 things to talk about/ask
the 1st id about MODIFIED brushed motors. I know most normal brushed motors are waterproof to a certain extent, but are the modified ones waterproof as well?
The second is about waterproofing receivers. How would I do this? I would like to just stick a balloon and/or some sellotape over it, or do nothing (because they have been pretty waterproof/splash proof for me so far), but I would like to do it properly.
I know about receiver boxes, but haven't found any waterproof ones yet. if you find one, I WANT TO KNOW

thanks and please help?
I wouldn't worry about water proofing the motors just be sure to run them after expose to the water, spay with motor spray, and oil the bushings or bearings. BTW Dipping a running motor in water is how we used to break in the brushes a long time ago - never had a motor rust (there was usually a newer faster motor before that would happen anyway).
John Wallace2 is offline   Reply With Quote