R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 12-19-2013, 11:24 PM   #1
Tech Initiate

Default Need Quick Help - Mounting Drift Tires!

Hi guys, So i was just about to do what I thought was the proper way of putting on drift tires and then i decided to look it up on youtube just to be sure. These people were boiling the tires and then just sitting them on the rim allowing the tires time to cool and shrink. I was going to just use a hair drier to help get them pliable and then use dabs of glue....should i not use glue? what should i doooo!? first time doing this by the way...sorry for the noobness... thanks everyone!

Scott
ScottySTi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 11:26 PM   #2
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottySTi View Post
Hi guys, So i was just about to do what I thought was the proper way of putting on drift tires and then i decided to look it up on youtube just to be sure. These people were boiling the tires and then just sitting them on the rim allowing the tires time to cool and shrink. I was going to just use a hair drier to help get them pliable and then use dabs of glue....should i not use glue? what should i doooo!? first time doing this by the way...sorry for the noobness... thanks everyone!

Scott
Boiling them is the best method. Depending on what type of tire and rim you may not need glue at all. I just boiled mine and put them onto the rim, then left it and went to have fun.
-Ted
mschumi101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 11:36 PM   #3
Tech Initiate

well, I'm working with HPI Racing Volk TE37 6mm offset 26mm and the bridgestone potenza drift tires....what should i do?
Old 12-20-2013, 12:13 AM   #4
Tech Initiate

This stupid thing is really getting on my nerves now, I've been at it for about an hour now, idk if anyone knows what I'm talking about but if u look inside at the very edges of the tires, I'm specifically using HPI bridgestone potenza drifts, but I'm sure its like this with every tire, there are 2 lines in which interfere with lines on the rim to make a more secure fit, almost like locking it in. Well i can't get past the last line. Im so god dam close. It sso friggin frustrating. Ive tried a rubber mallet, a hair dryer, tweezers...u name it. Ive now tried 2 different attempts with 2 different rims and tires and so far both have failed except my first one has glue on it...i think I've manage to crack most of the glue, but if anyone can lend some help, i would really really appreciate it. I need it so bad right now. I really don't wanna just leave this project hanging out right now. Thanks.

Scott