R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 12-17-2013, 08:29 PM   #1
Tech Rookie

Default TRF417x good enough to start with?

Hi, im new and zero in rc industry.
Is TRF417x a great chasis to start with? I've read in other thread saying that TRF chasis doesnt really suitable for beginners like me...but considering there's a very good deal for a used chasis i find now n the condition is like a brand new, i just cant get it out of my head.
And what electronics should i go with it. I know i dont need a high end stuff as i just in learning process but at least i would love to have a good/proper set up to start with.
Comments and helps from fellow members are really appreciated. Thanks
FZainol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 08:57 PM   #2
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FZainol View Post
Hi, im new and zero in rc industry.
Is TRF417x a great chasis to start with? I've read in other thread saying that TRF chasis doesnt really suitable for beginners like me...but considering there's a very good deal for a used chasis i find now n the condition is like a brand new, i just cant get it out of my head.
And what electronics should i go with it. I know i dont need a high end stuff as i just in learning process but at least i would love to have a good/proper set up to start with.
Comments and helps from fellow members are really appreciated. Thanks
Hi and welcome to the forum! The 417x is an excellent car. Maybe not as durable as some of the others but has won its fair share of big races if the deal is good then go with it. As a beginner if go with the stock blinky classes to start with and you could run any of the stock class esc/motor combos. I'd go with either the hobbywing justock or the speed passion reventon stock club race. Motor choice depends on the classes raced in your locality but I expect it'll be around 17.5t or it could be 13.5t. Stick a savox low profile servo and whatever radio you have and you'll be good to go. You don't need to spend a huge amount on batteries either at this stage. Any 50c 2s hard case lipos will do the job well.
Serpent Viper 977e EVO2, Serpent Viper 988 GP, Serpent Project 4x, Serpent 811T-TE Truggy, Serpent 811e 2.1, Serpent SRX2-MH, Serpent SRX-2 RM, Serpent SRX-4, Serpent F110-SF2, Serpent F180, Serpent 748 Natrix WC, Serpent Cobra GT 3.1, Serpent SRX8, Serpent S811 2.2, Baja 5B Flux, Atomic AMZ 1/27th, Schumacher GT12 SS.
Sanwa, Ielasi Tuned Novarossi Racing Engines, Tekin, Hobbywing, Muchmore.
dan_vector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 09:00 PM   #3
Tech Fanatic

Are you going to be racing at a track? The TRF 417x is an excellent chassis, but your setup skills will have a heck of a learning curve learning what to do.

If you plan on racing, start in either VTA or USGT. They run 25.5/21.5 brushless motors, respectively. These will be more than fast enough and will help you learn setups and how to drive a car.

The Hobbywing Justock is an excellent ESC and can be purchased for $50 brand new. Hard to beat its value. It rivals $200 ESCs for stock racing.

A savox 1251-mg is a great servo that is so relatively low cost. It's low profile and has great torque and speed for touring cars.

For batteries, SMC lipos are kinda hard to beat in value too. Pick up a 5000mah+ SMC lipo and use that.
Old 12-18-2013, 02:21 AM   #4
Tech Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan_vector View Post
Hi and welcome to the forum! The 417x is an excellent car. Maybe not as durable as some of the others but has won its fair share of big races if the deal is good then go with it. As a beginner if go with the stock blinky classes to start with and you could run any of the stock class esc/motor combos. I'd go with either the hobbywing justock or the speed passion reventon stock club race. Motor choice depends on the classes raced in your locality but I expect it'll be around 17.5t or it could be 13.5t. Stick a savox low profile servo and whatever radio you have and you'll be good to go. You don't need to spend a huge amount on batteries either at this stage. Any 50c 2s hard case lipos will do the job well.
Tq so much for ur input dan-vector. I think i've made my mind to go with the 417x. Im thinking on 17.5, savox 1251mg, & sanwa mt-4. Esc & batteries still not quite sure as have to look around 1st what available here in Malaysia.
Old 12-18-2013, 02:25 AM   #5
Tech Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyujmn View Post
Are you going to be racing at a track? The TRF 417x is an excellent chassis, but your setup skills will have a heck of a learning curve learning what to do.

If you plan on racing, start in either VTA or USGT. They run 25.5/21.5 brushless motors, respectively. These will be more than fast enough and will help you learn setups and how to drive a car.

The Hobbywing Justock is an excellent ESC and can be purchased for $50 brand new. Hard to beat its value. It rivals $200 ESCs for stock racing.

A savox 1251-mg is a great servo that is so relatively low cost. It's low profile and has great torque and speed for touring cars.

For batteries, SMC lipos are kinda hard to beat in value too. Pick up a 5000mah+ SMC lipo and use that.
Tq hyujmn. For now im not thinking of joining any races but maybe in the future. Here stock races using 17.5t motor, so i think i should go with that just to get used to it. Or is it too fast for a beginner like me to handle?
Ok look into it, the savox 1251mg & batteries as well. Any other tips/input for me to set up the car? Is sanwa mt-4 a good radio to start with?
Old 12-18-2013, 11:17 AM   #6
Tech Fanatic

I love the Sanwa MT4. My brother and I each use one and they are excellent radios. Low cost with tons of features.

If the stock class runs 17.5, then you'll have to start there. You'll get used to it soon enough. Again, the Hobbywing Justock ESC is an amazing ESC that you can purchase cheap and works very well.
Old 12-18-2013, 11:46 AM   #7
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

The 417 is a great car but if you plan on doing any driving in the street or parking lots, all that shiny carbon fiber on the 417 won't stay pretty for long. Street driving on a car with a few MMs of ground clearance is rough on the chassis.
Old 12-18-2013, 09:05 PM   #8
Tech Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyujmn View Post
I love the Sanwa MT4. My brother and I each use one and they are excellent radios. Low cost with tons of features.

If the stock class runs 17.5, then you'll have to start there. You'll get used to it soon enough. Again, the Hobbywing Justock ESC is an amazing ESC that you can purchase cheap and works very well.
I've searched but it seems quite hard to get HB Justock over here in Malaysia, especially combo with 17.5. Any other option in case i couldnt get it?