R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 09-08-2002, 01:26 AM   #31
R/C Tech Founder
R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

I sat down to do the Chicago update and I ended up changing every existing page on the site instead. Talk about getting sidetracked.

I have the pics up but the text isn't there yet, and Troy just dumped some more on me so it is back to Photoshop for me.

Sorry for taking so long -- I didn't expect that layout update to take me all night.
Old 09-08-2002, 01:44 PM   #32
Tech Elite

Send a message via ICQ to Boomer Send a message via AIM to Boomer

Quote:
Originally posted by futureal
Yea, you're right. Here's the real word from Mike Velez, as quoted from an editorial in R/C Insider magazine:

[i]"The second show will be held a few weeks after the IMHS in October 2003. The Hobby Visions show show promises to deliver dealers and consumers to Las Vegas. The show is being put on by many of the same people responsible for the NHRSA Trade Show that takes place earlier in the year in Las Vegas. The NHRSA show has become wildly popular among dealers and manufacturers because it's relatively inexpensive to exhibit and get to Las Vegas from most major cities. I believe this show will get a large dealer draw, but will lack a strong consumer following. Aside from the limited population in Las Vegas it's a four hour drive from Los Angeles and an airline flight for anyone else. How many of your customers do you think will fly to Vegas for a consumer show? This will remain to be seen.
Many of the really BIG conferences/shows (Comdex , and the two that I can't think of their letters right now. . .need more coffee) flourish in Vegas. It's not that big of a drive from LA (I'm there, we head that way now and again) and it's a central point for almost all airlines.

They are set up for big shows, as well or better than most any other place. . .

As much as I hate Vegas, I think that our hobby/industry could flourish with a show there. . .
Old 09-08-2002, 03:19 PM   #33
R/C Tech Founder

The problem, though, is that the major shows that thrive in Vegas focus on big-dollar merchandise in absolutely HUGE industries: consumer electronics, computer software and computer/console video gaming.

I have been going to the CES (Consumer Electronics Show) in Vegas for years now, every January. That is one helluva show -- it has to be seen to be believed if you've never before been. It flourishes because the people who buy and sell this stuff are full of money, and not afraid to spend it. What's a week's stay in Vegas when you're talking about dropping twenty grand on a home theater system?

Although I'm not saying that such a show for R/C would fail, I think it would be harder than people think to attract R/C consumers out there. Still, I think R/C needs two shows: a trade show (think Hobby Expo) and a consumer show (like this one in Vegas, or the RCX one in LA). I don't know if it can handle a third.
Old 09-08-2002, 05:21 PM   #34

hmm, that link is not supposed to be out there ...

Last edited by futureal; 09-09-2002 at 12:28 AM.
Speedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2002, 06:29 PM   #35
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally posted by TRF-Powered
.. but I think there will also be some real import racing cars there....
Wow, didn't know there was such a thing.

Can you imagine an R/C with a double-deck trunk lid spoiler, slammed, body-kitted, with Altezza lights in the back, neon lights underneath, and a thumpin' sounds system? It's the future folks.... all show and no go R/Cs.....
Iso Octane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2002, 03:04 AM   #36
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to ROBORAT

futureal: hay nice coverage and pics of the chicago show. but i was wondering where those close up shots fo the new XXX-s Graphite Plus kit went??? i had a glimpse of them yesterday when someone pre-empted the posting of the link to the pics yesterday but now that i looked at the Event Coverage section, they're nowhere to be found.

http://www.hobbyhaven.com.my/
ROBORAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2002, 03:55 AM   #37
R/C Tech Founder

OK, I finished!

R/C Tech's Hobby Show coverage can be found here: http://www.rctech.net/events/chicago2002/index.shtml

We have a total of 116 photos online there, organized by company, and complete with captions and web links to each company's site.

I apologize again for the delays in getting everything online, it took me a lot longer than I expected, especially in making sure that all my information was correct. I guess I know what to better expect for next year!

ROBORAT: See above.
Old 09-10-2002, 04:07 AM   #38
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to ROBORAT

futureal: thanks! now time to sell my XXXS and get that new one when it comes out!

http://www.hobbyhaven.com.my/
ROBORAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2002, 09:00 AM   #39
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Great coverage of the show! Theres some sweet, sweet, stuff there.
Old 09-10-2002, 11:24 PM   #40
Tech Rookie

Grr... the only things I cared about were the "new" Airtronics M8 (m8ss?) and Reedy's Cobalt motor, both being no-shows.
Boone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2002, 11:26 PM   #41

Great work Shane (and all the people who helped out) I really appreciate this, and I'm sure everyone else does too.

Thanks again,
Speedo
Speedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2002, 06:20 AM   #42
RCTech Member #2

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to TSR6

Quote:
Originally posted by Boone
Grr... the only things I cared about were the "new" Airtronics M8 (m8ss?) and Reedy's Cobalt motor, both being no-shows.
I asked Mike about the "Cobalt" and he said it is no where near production. They are working on it, but it's not where he wants it to be.

-Troy
RCTech Member #2

The postings and views expressed on this site are my own and do not necessarily reflect the positions, strategies, or opinions of any company I may be employed by.
TSR6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2002, 06:46 AM   #43
Tech Rookie

Quote:
I asked Mike about the "Cobalt" and he said it is no where near production. They are working on it, but it's not where he wants it to be.
TSR6- Thanks. It just seems like I've been hearing so much (people getting excited, etc) about the "Cobalt" that I started assuming it was right around the corner. Is "still testing" the only info anyone had on the new M8?
Boone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2002, 12:41 PM   #44
RCTech Member #2

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to TSR6

Control Centre ( http://controlcentre.rctech.net/ ) lists a "M8 SS" Which from what I have heard is just a M8 with a new processor.

I talked to the Airtronics guys at the show, and they didn't know about it. He asked that i e-mail him, so I'm waiting for the responce..

-Troy
RCTech Member #2

The postings and views expressed on this site are my own and do not necessarily reflect the positions, strategies, or opinions of any company I may be employed by.
TSR6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2002, 12:49 PM   #45
R/C Tech Founder

We talked to the CEO of Airtronics USA for a little while and it sounded like the only new M8-related product for 2003 was the Novak Switch module.

The SS is actually just referring to the mass-production model of the M8 LE. My understanding of it is that there are still two versions of the M8 in production, the standard and now the backlight.

The standard version comes in the servo/receiver combos, while the backlit version is sold only in the transmitter/module combo, much like the LE was. The 2003 backlit version, unlike the LE, has a silver antenna and a red power-on LED.

This information is, I believe, in the 2003 Airtronics catalog as well. I don't have a dealer price sheet in front of me so I'm not sure as to cost, but I assume that pricing will be right around where the LE was.