Wiki Posts
Search

2002 International Model & Hobby Expo @ Chicago

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2002, 09:54 AM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 81 (100%+)

coolrcdad, no problem.

Troy that is correct because Hot Bodies is owned by HPI from what I have been told.

Also, Jay Kimbrough has posted that next year there will be a show in Vegas. Seems as though the Chicago show has run its course.
Old 09-06-2002, 11:27 AM
Tech Regular

where ever the real reasons are alot of people are sad they did not show up. Atleast I see them here in oct.............
Old 09-06-2002, 11:42 AM
RCTech Member #2

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally posted by Kraig
Troy that is correct because Hot Bodies is owned by HPI from what I have been told.
Kraig - I have been told they are "together, but seperate" if you get what i mean.

Usagi - Yeah, i was mostly looking forward to checking out the Savage, which will be there anyways.

Also, some of the HPI guys will be there, they just will not have a booth.
Old 09-06-2002, 01:01 PM
Tech Master

Originally posted by Kraig
Also, Jay Kimbrough has posted that next year there will be a show in Vegas. Seems as though the Chicago show has run its course.
If there is a show in Vegas, I am there!!!!!!
Old 09-06-2002, 01:20 PM
R/C Tech Founder

There is also a (new) R/C trade event in Los Angeles, if I'm not mistaken.

I wouldn't say the show was small this year, just that there were a few notable companies missing (Trinity, HPI). While I agree that going down to one public day was probably a bad move on the show's part, I still think that not showing up is a rather large diss towards the R/C media and a lot of related people who show up for this show.

I don't think that the Chicago show is 'dead" by any means. It certainly was rocking while I was there. Hopefully the organizers will respond to the concerns voiced by some of these companies and fix things a bit next year.

On the other hand, I do think that the R/C industry is large enough to support a show of its own.
Old 09-06-2002, 03:32 PM
Tech Master

Originally posted by futureal
Yeah... I think the show is call RCX... which is held by rccaraction and sponsors. the show will be emphasized on RC cars.. but I think there will also be some real import racing cars there.... It's not going to happen until next year I think..... not too sure....
Old 09-06-2002, 05:57 PM
R/C Tech Founder

Yea, you're right. Here's the real word from Mike Velez, as quoted from an editorial in R/C Insider magazine:

"For years the R/C car industry has had one major national/international trade show, the International Model & Hobby Show coming up this September 5th through the 8th in Chicago, IL. The show has changed this year and instead of two trade days and two consumer days the show will be made up of three trade days and one consumer day. For years, manufacturers have grumbled about the show's timing getting earlier and earlier, and the lack of new dealers attending. Things have finally come to a head with some key manufacturers deciding not to attend this year's show. And that's a shame. Our industry deserves a major international show here in the United States. The rumblings and grumblings of some manufacturers have spawned two new shows scheduled for 2003. Although our industry does deserve one good show, I don't believe it can support three.

The first show is RCX, produced via a partnership between Air Age Inc. and Vision Entertainment. Vision is a company responsible for putting on some of the more successful import auto shows. This show has potential on the consumer level. This show will take place in Anaheim, aka Disneyland, which is in the heart of Southern California. Southern California is an R/C hot bed and with a population of 12 to 15 million within an hour's drive the potential consumer attendance is huge. As far as getting dealers to attend, that may prove to be more difficult. The local airport, John Wayne, is not a hub for any airline. This means higher air fares and more restrictive flight schedules. My guess is this show will get dealers from the west coast with very few attending from the midwest and east coast.

The second show will be held a few weeks after the IMHS in October 2003. The Hobby Visions show show promises to deliver dealers and consumers to Las Vegas. The show is being put on by many of the same people responsible for the NHRSA Trade Show that takes place earlier in the year in Las Vegas. The NHRSA show has become wildly popular among dealers and manufacturers because it's relatively inexpensive to exhibit and get to Las Vegas from most major cities. I believe this show will get a large dealer draw, but will lack a strong consumer following. Aside from the limited population in Las Vegas it's a four hour drive from Los Angeles and an airline flight for anyone else. How many of your customers do you think will fly to Vegas for a consumer show? This will remain to be seen.

The point of this little rant is that there is no easy solution. It's difficult if not impossible to please everyone. It will be interesting to see what happens with these three shows next year. We plan to attend, but not necessarily exhibit at all three. ..."

The problem I see with the two new shows is that they are more public events than trade shows. I like the idea of having a trade show where you can go and mingle with people from the R/C world -- that is what most industries have, and it works well. It's for that reason that I don't see the IMHS going anywhere anytime soon.
Old 09-06-2002, 10:20 PM
Tech Elite

When do you plan to have the info up on the site?
Old 09-06-2002, 11:37 PM
R/C Tech Founder

I'm working on it right now. I went through all the pictures I'd taken and got it down to 84 decent ones, then converted those to the two size formats (400x300 and 1024x768) and now I need to start typing up the text and breaking things down by company.

Sadly, it may have to wait until morning, I'm pretty beat right now. Also, since Kraig went on Thursday, Matt and I went on Friday, and now Troy is down there today (Saturday) and will probably be bringing back even more pictures and info for us.

Unlike the magazines with their white backgrounds and boring product announcement, R/C Tech aims to bring you as close to the show floor as possible.
Old 09-07-2002, 03:32 AM
Tech Regular

I don't think that the Chicago show is 'dead" by any means. It certainly was rocking while I was there.
Have you noticed what companies are crabbing about the show being in chciago. calif based companies.Being in chciago and having a member for my family working both trade centers in the chicago are. saying companies are moving away frokm chicagi is just plain stupid! Did you know sony is not going to the robot show these sept? Instead they are staying in Japan (yokahama) So these companies in r/c cane say what they want. Unless your either in the business of have memebers who deal with trade types shows, so companies will saying anything...........
Old 09-07-2002, 05:57 AM
RCTech Member #2

Originally posted by Speedo
When do you plan to have the info up on the site?
Give the man a break. I was talking to him between 10:00 and 11:00 last night, and he was a picture editing maniac! Thats for sure.. ( hee's a maniac...maniac on the flooorr... and he's dancin..... ok, too much caffine. )

I'm leaving here for Chicago in a little bit.

-Troy
Old 09-07-2002, 09:30 AM
Tech Elite

LOL, That's no problem, I was just wondering

Coverage last year was great, can't wait to see this year's.
Old 09-07-2002, 02:05 PM
Tech Elite

Faster, Futureal, Faster!!! (only joking. . . )
Old 09-07-2002, 02:32 PM
R/C Tech Founder

I'm working on it, I got distracted this morning by football, tennis, football again, tennis again, football again and now baseball.
Old 09-07-2002, 06:38 PM
RCTech Member #2

I'm working on it, I got distracted this morning by football, tennis, football again, tennis again, football again and now baseball.
Baseball, yeah... too bad they didnt go on strike.

I have like 80 pictures at least to transfer... so ill be back later.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.