Search

Issue with Novak motor on tc4

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2013, 07:48 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Issue with Novak motor on tc4

Hi everyone -

Redoing my TC4 tonight for my first VTA race. I bought a new esc - a novak edge 2s and a novak boss 25.5 turn motor. I have installed it and it will only turn counter clockwise correctly (of course I need clockwise) When I have it on clockwise setting the motor makes a buzzing sound and if i twist the gear on the motor manually it will start moving, but when it stops it will buzz again if i give it power. I can post a video if needed. I am hoping I am just missing something stupid.

Thanks
The Yellow Dart
Old 12-14-2013, 07:53 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 78 (100%+)
Thumbs up

If it doesn't seem right with using the servo/channel reversing on your transmitter try reversing motor wires a and c.This should change you rotation.
Old 12-14-2013, 07:57 PM
Tech Apprentice

hey Skater - when I do that it seems to just vibrate.. if that makes any sense... I switched the outside wires.... I will try a few other combinations
Old 12-14-2013, 08:00 PM
Tech Master

Thumbs up

Ok another thing would be start off fresh by re-calibrating the esc and transmitter.I had a similar issue when I hooked up a sensored motor to a non-sensored esc.Once I re-calibrated everything it was all smooth sailing! Good luck man and let us know how you make out!!!!
Old 12-14-2013, 08:01 PM
Tech Apprentice

Thanks Skater! Looks like a dumb mistake but I switched the middle and the left wire and now its running in the right direction. Very cool. I figured since the esc had an extra cable it would figure this stuff out for me ;-)

Thanks again
Old 12-14-2013, 08:02 PM
Tech Master

Just outta curiosity you are hooking up the sensor wire....right???
Old 12-14-2013, 08:05 PM
Tech Apprentice

Yes, it is hooked up but I am pretty new so it might be wrong. Sensor into esc, 3 wires into esc from motor. Is there anything special I have to do to tell the motor to use the sensor wire? What does that wire even do?

edit: just did the sensor test and it lit up when i made the motor move -- I assume its working correctly

Last edited by TheYellowDart; 12-14-2013 at 08:07 PM. Reason: testing
Old 12-14-2013, 08:11 PM
Tech Master

Sensor should run from the esc to the motor,in addition to the 3 wires.The sensor tells the esc what position the rotor inside the motor is in.If you have a sensored esc and motor you must run the sensor cable always!
Old 12-14-2013, 08:15 PM
Tech Master

There shouldn't be anything special,the esc should know that the sensor is in use. If the problem started without the sensor connected I'd go ahead and leave it hooked up and re-calibrate everything again.
Old 12-14-2013, 08:34 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by TheYellowDart
Thanks Skater! Looks like a dumb mistake but I switched the middle and the left wire and now its running in the right direction. Very cool. I figured since the esc had an extra cable it would figure this stuff out for me ;-)

Thanks again
Do Not switch the phase wires as you would a sensorless motor. A/Blue, B/Yellow, and C/Orange must be soldered/installed correctly. It will change the timing/firing order and cause the motor or esc to overheat as well as "cog"

IF everything is hooked up properly, you should only have to reverse your throttle servo switch
Old 12-14-2013, 11:06 PM
Tech Apprentice

As ercwhtsd said, do not swith the A/B/C motor phase wires around -- they have a direct relationship with the sensor board installed in the motor.

Also, you shouldn't reverse your throttle to get opposite rotation as you'll discover that drag brake, forward movement, and other direction-sensitive parameters don't work right when you do that.

If you haven't done so already, take a look at this. It explains programming the ESC for all sorts of things, including motor rotation:
http://teamnovak.com/file_download/1...ck%20Guide.pdf