R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 07-14-2005, 02:25 PM   #16
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 17driver
Burbs is correct,while Big Jim Knew his stuff after the first 3 pages of the book all it does is repeat itself.Give me a book by Kisbey or putnam any day!
who is kisbey or putnam....????? all motor companies are based on the teachings of big jim R.I.P.....BIG JIM was the trinity he was the first to make a mod motor and the first motor company to win a world championship...Gil Losi Jr...what up BURPS......
lickrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2005, 02:41 PM   #17
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 23 (96%+)
Send a message via AIM to ALBERTO Send a message via Yahoo to ALBERTO

wow guys relax!!! he's just expressing HIS opinon..... weather he is right or wrong he is intitled to.... we are better then this, let not chastise him for it
Old 07-14-2005, 03:02 PM   #18
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to A-Ko

Regardless of opinion and it's repititious nature, it still is a great book to have by your bench!

I am proud to have mine autographed by BJ in person. Definately a treasure for me!
USVTA National Points Member #101
A-Ko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2005, 03:26 PM   #19
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

The guy taught Peter Robinson and myself.....Chris Tosolini picked up some stuff from him while working at maxtec with him back in the day.....

And look at the results we have produced as a company with some guidance from Big Jim.......

The book does often repeat itself......Keep in mind, Jim didn't write it...Hank from hobby talk did.....they chose an odd format, which leads to some repition.....but last I checked, they still teach repition in schools, as it makes you REMEMBER what you just learned.....

The book is solid for any novice or veteran racer......

Last I remember, Todd Putnam himself has a copy.......not sure about Kisbey....lots of the top motors guys do....information is information, even if it is repetitive....

Amazing how people can still rip on a guy just a few weeks after his death....

Later EddieO
Old 07-14-2005, 04:52 PM   #20
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by lickrim
are you kidding me? big jim was the key to the success of PEAK PERFORMANCE teaching RICK to wind than rick picked DEREK FURUTANI who wound ALL the motors for TEAM ORION current world champions...the book is the shit .....big jim and derek furutani the leaders of our new gereration of motor builders...NOT ..JOE PILLIARS...
Time for a history lesson...

Actually Big Jim never had anything to do with Peak Performance nor did he teach me to wind or tune motor. Big Jim was a super nice guy and when I was sponsored by Checkpoint in the early '80 he was kind enough to give me a part time summer job matching batteries (we weighed them at the time), tearing down motors (we actually took working Mabuchi motors apart), filling Tire Goo containers, and doing other basic functions like packaging and assembly of motor components like the famous modular brush system.

I left Checkpoint in 1985 before I had a chance to learn to wind, balance, cut comms, or tune a motor, and began racing for Team Associated and Reedy as a factory driver while finishing high school.

Peak Performance was formed by myself and Mike Hickman in 1985 making small accessories, then in summer 1986 decided to begin selling motors and matched batteries (and giving up my AE factory status) in addition to the other products. Mike and his brothers (Bruce and Steve who still race to this day) previously had a small motor company called BRM that tuned Igarashi stock motors and made small production runs of modified motors for Southern California locals mostly.

Mike Hickman had experience in all aspects of motor production and taught me the basics of winding, balancing, tuning, etc. In fact the debut of Peak Performance motors was at the 1/12 Nationals in Reno Nevada in 1986 where I won the Modified class with an outdated RC12i (factory drivers used the prototype RC12L).

I became sole owner in 1988.

While I appreciate Big Jim's help (he was my first motor sponsor and a good friend) it is an insult to those that truly helped me get to the point I am at today.
Rick Hohwart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2005, 06:00 PM   #21
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 74 (99%+)

Rick- I love reading when a true Pioneer of the hobby gives us alittle of thier companies early beginnings.

Company and personal history such as what you posted should be on every company webpage.....
Old 07-14-2005, 08:18 PM   #22
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to burbs Send a message via Yahoo to burbs

Last edited by burbs; 07-22-2005 at 05:56 PM.
burbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2005, 08:27 PM   #23
Tech Elite

Even Dieter has a copy of it......

Face to Face is the best way......but last I checked, kids in schools still use books for homework and reference...

And not everyone has access to people who were taught by Dieter......gaining access to as much information as possible never hurt anyone in the process of learning.

Later EddieO
Old 08-05-2005, 08:40 PM   #24
Tech Addict

Thumbs up

what we really need is one of the big time motor guru's to take over for Jim and give advice and product reviews without the occasional nastyness that Jim was famious for.
Racin Rev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2005, 09:26 PM   #25
Suspended

I think EDDIE O is your new motor ass... And if you read his post, he is a self proclaimed know it all just like jim was.. so if your looking for a guru call team BROOD.. If you want a real motor Guru, try anyone but Team brood..but if you want smart azz know it all commentslike JIM you golden

Last edited by grif975; 10-20-2005 at 09:43 AM.
grif975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2005, 09:48 PM   #26
Tech Addict

grif, i think that you are out of line. Jim managed to alieanate virtually everyone in the industry at one time or another, yet, they all respected his knowledge of motors. I personally would have loved to have seen the five or six lobe (i don't think that that is the right name for it) mod motors that he was working on when he died. I hope that EddieO or someone else will carry on the work and make a truly screaming motor, it deserves to be made. I am not sure that eddie has said anything that is out of line, why the flame?
Racin Rev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2005, 02:01 AM   #27
Tech Elite

I don't know who this griffin idiot is....I got a dirty email about a website from him earlier. Not sure what his deal is.....lives in WI....maybe he should buy from Paradigm.

I don't claim to know everything.....never have. I have been stumped many times.....but I am not afraid to ask to figure it out.

Later EddieO
Old 08-06-2005, 10:36 AM   #28
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Hohwart
Time for a history lesson...

Actually Big Jim never had anything to do with Peak Performance nor did he teach me to wind or tune motor. Big Jim was a super nice guy and when I was sponsored by Checkpoint in the early '80 he was kind enough to give me a part time summer job matching batteries (we weighed them at the time), tearing down motors (we actually took working Mabuchi motors apart), filling Tire Goo containers, and doing other basic functions like packaging and assembly of motor components like the famous modular brush system.

I left Checkpoint in 1985 before I had a chance to learn to wind, balance, cut comms, or tune a motor, and began racing for Team Associated and Reedy as a factory driver while finishing high school.

Peak Performance was formed by myself and Mike Hickman in 1985 making small accessories, then in summer 1986 decided to begin selling motors and matched batteries (and giving up my AE factory status) in addition to the other products. Mike and his brothers (Bruce and Steve who still race to this day) previously had a small motor company called BRM that tuned Igarashi stock motors and made small production runs of modified motors for Southern California locals mostly.

Mike Hickman had experience in all aspects of motor production and taught me the basics of winding, balancing, tuning, etc. In fact the debut of Peak Performance motors was at the 1/12 Nationals in Reno Nevada in 1986 where I won the Modified class with an outdated RC12i (factory drivers used the prototype RC12L).

I became sole owner in 1988.

While I appreciate Big Jim's help (he was my first motor sponsor and a good friend) it is an insult to those that truly helped me get to the point I am at today.
me a river rick....
lickrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2005, 07:30 PM   #29
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by lickrim
me a river rick....
He was just posting facts!!!!!!!!
Old 08-26-2005, 07:47 AM   #30
Tech Adept

Anybody has an idea where is possible to find the Big Jim PT armature ?

The PT (Power Trix) armature are the one with 3 integrated diode close to the comm ....

Thanks

e_lm_70
e_lm_70 is offline   Reply With Quote