R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 12-06-2013, 05:18 PM   #16
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 74 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac853 View Post
Lowering CG is good pro, but somebody tell me of short shocks has no advantage on running tight layout and low grip like our track.
If this is real, i am looking to convert my T4 using long shock mount in order have better handling.
Even keep the short shock but using 3 holes instead of 4 holes pistons.

Could somebody think if really worth?

Best regards
I'd experiment with changing the oil, spring rates, and bladders to adjust the dampening response before relocating the shock mounting points and changing the shock size, volume, and geometry. Dialing in dampening is one of the most difficult aspects of setting up an RC car, and learning how and when to make the changes takes a long time to learn.

If your running on a tight, bumpy surface, I'd try lighter oil and lighter springs to allow the tires to stay on the pavement. As you tune the car, gradually increase the weight of the oil until you stop seeing an improvement in lap times, or use the same oil and decrease the spring rate if the car doesn't have the grip you need. Once you've achieved a good baseline setup, you can start experimenting with pistons (# of holes and hole diameter).
Old 12-07-2013, 12:38 AM   #17
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by oeoeo327 View Post
I'd experiment with changing the oil, spring rates, and bladders to adjust the dampening response before relocating the shock mounting points and changing the shock size, volume, and geometry. Dialing in dampening is one of the most difficult aspects of setting up an RC car, and learning how and when to make the changes takes a long time to learn.

If your running on a tight, bumpy surface, I'd try lighter oil and lighter springs to allow the tires to stay on the pavement. As you tune the car, gradually increase the weight of the oil until you stop seeing an improvement in lap times, or use the same oil and decrease the spring rate if the car doesn't have the grip you need. Once you've achieved a good baseline setup, you can start experimenting with pistons (# of holes and hole diameter).
Ok, i will try this later, thanks!
mac853 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 02:32 AM   #18
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

To me this is just another gimmick used in the industry to get people to buy the latest and greatest product. People just need to take the time to learn how to set-up their carís properly.

Patrick
XCELL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 08:24 AM   #19
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by XCELL View Post
To me this is just another gimmick used in the industry to get people to buy the latest and greatest product. People just need to take the time to learn how to set-up their carís properly.

Patrick
Old 12-07-2013, 10:37 AM   #20
Tech Master

So I guess the conclusion here is that people are too lazy to figure anything out, old or new concepts. Also, give up on innovation
redbones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 11:12 AM   #21
Tech Master

Send a message via ICQ to JiuHaWong

Quote:
Originally Posted by XCELL View Post

Patrick
Old 12-07-2013, 11:16 AM   #22
Tech Fanatic

The serpent 411 eryx shocks are shortrr than std, but with std bore and use std springs. This gives the benefit of lower cg. but with the same damping characteristics.

Seems a very good blend of advantages. I guess they'll fit most short shock setups.
Old 12-07-2013, 11:58 AM   #23
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Find shorter springs drill some new holes in tower and run your old shocks. See if lowering them helps you.
FUTABA 2.4G FASST, Spec-R S1, Speed Passion SP-1, Sakura D3 FWD, Kyosho Evolva M3, Team Losi XX-4, Caster EX1.5R, HPI Wheelie King Crawler, Quanum Aquaholic, Joysway Wildcat
nrtv20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 06:24 AM   #24
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrtv20 View Post
Find shorter springs drill some new holes in tower and run your old shocks. See if lowering them helps you.
On many cars this is impossible as the clearance between the shock cap and bottom of the shock tower is hardly anything. Moving the holes up on the shock tower would likely cause the shock caps to contact the bottom of the shock tower binding up movement of the shocks. Please look at your car before anyone tries this.
AE SC10 AE B4.11
SS LS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 11:09 AM   #25
Tech Master

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrtv20 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by SS LS1 View Post
On many cars this is impossible as the clearance between the shock cap and bottom of the shock tower is hardly anything. Moving the holes up on the shock tower would likely cause the shock caps to contact the bottom of the shock tower binding up movement of the shocks. Please look at your car before anyone tries this.
I wonder to buy those aftermarket long shock towers of Raceberry instead of drilling holes by myself!