R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 07-16-2005, 08:01 AM   #91
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by T. Hodge
I could not agree with you anymore about their being a PRO class. There is no reason for non sponsored racers to go race against racers who are making $40,000-60,000 a year as a salary for racing. It is simply stupid. How many times do we see a national event go to a track, then the following months after the race the track closes or has no business. The racers who went to this race spent all their resources to go compete against a Pavidis or Cavalieri and they got smoked. No one wants to loose. Everyone wants to win. I envision Joe Schmo going to a race and racing the open mod class and bring home a huge trophy saying he won the Mod nats...then a few months later he has 3 magazines to show all of his friends at work..."Look at me...I am in the magazine". How cool would that be?

I have brought this topic to discussion with ROAR and have gotten no where!!!
Todd, this discussion has been ongoing in ROAR ever since some kid named Joel Johnson went to every race and kicked everyone's butt. Yes, Joel is a great driver but he had backing that no one else ever dreamed about. Back then everybody was in it to have fun. Joel took RC racing to the next level, but it left many people behind. There have been many attempts to try to level the playing field (bad BS Bingo phrase) for racers with fewer resources, but they all failed.

We know what the problem is. What we don't have is a solution that will work and everyone likes.
jiml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2005, 01:13 PM   #92
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

solution to the previous post: amateur nationals (absolutely no sponsorship/affiliation) and pro nationals (everyone else + however many 'open' spots to max attendance).

when you look at it, most people don't mind being a few spots behind a BK. it's the 50-60 b-team nobody's (who don't get me wrong, are fast) at an event, that put the average joe into the I main that i believe most people dislike running against.
gee-dub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2005, 02:09 PM   #93
Tech Master

Why is everybody concerned about the top of the racing chaing. That's like chaning the worlds for the once a year racer. The changes need to be lower in the structure. The REGIONALS are where most Pro's don't race, so that's where the amateur guys should be getting their race on. Win that and then add to your resume by going to more local big races. And by the time you are ready for the Nats you won't be upset about anything.
Old 07-16-2005, 02:49 PM   #94
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by gee-dub
solution to the previous post: amateur nationals (absolutely no sponsorship/affiliation) and pro nationals (everyone else + however many 'open' spots to max attendance).

when you look at it, most people don't mind being a few spots behind a BK. it's the 50-60 b-team nobody's (who don't get me wrong, are fast) at an event, that put the average joe into the I main that i believe most people dislike running against.

Fine. How do you enforce it?

How do you tell a guy that once got a free battery pack from Trinity he can't race?

-or-

You let him race, he kicks everybody's butt, and now you have to listen to everyone else scream how could you let a sponsored driver race?

Damned if you do, damned if you don't. That just about sums up ROAR.
Old 07-16-2005, 03:25 PM   #95
Tech Master

The days of Factory guys using "unavailable" items are long since gone. You can buy a mod off the shelf and some good packs. Why everybody thinks because you have some battery that's supposed to be "factory" is going to make you win the race is beyond me. Modified is over powered. Stock is where those thing come into play.
Old 07-16-2005, 05:58 PM   #96
Tech Legend

You believe that ?
Wild Cherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2005, 06:15 PM   #97
Suspended

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiml
Fine. How do you enforce it?

How do you tell a guy that once got a free battery pack from Trinity he can't race?

-or-

You let him race, he kicks everybody's butt, and now you have to listen to everyone else scream how could you let a sponsored driver race?

Damned if you do, damned if you don't. That just about sums up ROAR.

go ask Tamiya

they do it fine
403forbidden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2005, 09:17 PM   #98
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Keep telling your self that and i guess after a while you'll believe it..that would be the "Tamiya" keeping it "fine"
Old 07-16-2005, 09:22 PM   #99
Suspended

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxxkat
Keep telling your self that and i guess after a while you'll believe it..that would be the "Tamiya" keeping it "fine"

Well at the very least, Tamiya is doing something...

With ROAR, all you get the repetitive line: "we're just volunteers, don't expect too much from us...
403forbidden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2005, 11:48 PM   #100
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Cherry
You believe that ?
It's not believing. THere's examples of people buying off the shelf stuff and winning. Believing that the reason you didn't win is because of .001 mor volts or 2,000 more RPM is an excuse.
Old 07-17-2005, 12:08 AM   #101
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

I have pitted next to some Pro's(Made the worlds..pros)And I had packs with better numbers than what they had,In fact a friend of mine was having some "motor" problems,But he gave this motor to one of the pros and the guy went out and TQed with this motor..
Old 07-17-2005, 05:31 AM   #102
Tech Fanatic

The best part is that the pros are stuck using one brand of equipment that might not be ideal. Where amateurs can use whatever equipment they want. The only difference between and amateur driver and a pro driver is that the pro driver is more dedicated to the hobby and works harder at being better, they should win for that. That is not ROAR's fault.
Scrubb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2005, 06:41 AM   #103
Tech Regular

Default Electric Outlaw

Try having to use Rubber Tyres in mod coz of rules.........
DIMO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2005, 09:10 AM   #104
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekB
The days of Factory guys using "unavailable" items are long since gone. You can buy a mod off the shelf and some good packs. Why everybody thinks because you have some battery that's supposed to be "factory" is going to make you win the race is beyond me. Modified is over powered. Stock is where those thing come into play.
Um, Derek, weren't you at the Reedy ROC at Tamiya, where the factory Associated guys were running the Factory Team TC4, a car that won't be available for at least another month?

Derek is right about one thing, the difference between the absolute best and the over the counter stuff is much smaller than it was in the past. However, that's not the advantage the factory guys have, or even sponsored drivers. For instance, a local racer here has a battery sponsor. No question he's good enough to deserve it. He gets free battery packs. The guy who matches the cells will also do different things to get them better, and gives them to the racer to try out. Now the average racer who has to buy his packs isn't going to do anything that may shorten the life of the cells, but the sponsored racer is free to try whatever he thinks will make his battery better. If he ruins a pack, who cares, he just gets another one. I can't waste fifty bucks or better like that.

It's also true the factory guys spend much more time practicing than regular racers. They will practice 5 times a week, where most of us are lucky to get to the track once a week.

There is no easy answer to this question. It's the attitude of the racers (not ROAR) that has to change before this problem is solved.
Old 07-17-2005, 10:02 AM   #105
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiml
Um, Derek, weren't you at the Reedy ROC at Tamiya, where the factory Associated guys were running the Factory Team TC4, a car that won't be available for at least another month?

Derek is right about one thing, the difference between the absolute best and the over the counter stuff is much smaller than it was in the past. However, that's not the advantage the factory guys have, or even sponsored drivers. For instance, a local racer here has a battery sponsor. No question he's good enough to deserve it. He gets free battery packs. The guy who matches the cells will also do different things to get them better, and gives them to the racer to try out. Now the average racer who has to buy his packs isn't going to do anything that may shorten the life of the cells, but the sponsored racer is free to try whatever he thinks will make his battery better. If he ruins a pack, who cares, he just gets another one. I can't waste fifty bucks or better like that.

It's also true the factory guys spend much more time practicing than regular racers. They will practice 5 times a week, where most of us are lucky to get to the track once a week.

There is no easy answer to this question. It's the attitude of the racers (not ROAR) that has to change before this problem is solved.
Why is a proto-type car an advantage? No knowing set-ups and trying new things every round? I don't see that as an advatange that the regular guy can't have. The tub chassis TC4 did just as good as the Factory guys who can drive anything fast.

Give Michael Schumacher the worst F1 car and I'm sure he can beat me with the best.