Search

New to everything - help me make the right choice

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2013, 06:57 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default New to everything - help me make the right choice

Hi all-

Just got back into RC - upgraded my old Associated tc4 to lipo and brushless and have been having a blast. At the RC store they said I should try out racing and were talking about VTA. Almost my whole setup would need to be changed (lipo esc tires and battery) to run this car in VTA. A guy at the shop said he had a used XRay t3 2013 for sale for 350 as a "roller" and he would throw in the futaba receiver (just bought the controller, love it)

Is this a good deal? Would it help a lot to have a dedicated racing car? My car is running well but clearly been well used outside.

Would I be better off selling my new brushless and esc (castle sidewinder 3) and getting the correct one and maybe spending the 350 on a different type of car, like a buggy or something else fun?

Thanks!

The Yellow Dart
Old 12-03-2013, 07:28 PM
Regional Moderator

There isn't a T3 '13. There was a T3 '12, and last year's model is a T4. $350 for a T3 '12 is a bit steep. They have been going for around $250. They are good cars.

For the ESC, ditch the Sidewinder and get a $50 Hobbywing JusStock. Best ESC for the money. The only "legal" motor in VTA is a Novak 25.5.
Old 12-03-2013, 07:52 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Cool

Vta is way too slow buddy !!! Get a 17.5t motor in your tc4, and join the racing fun, while saving that $350 son !!! The tc4 is good enough to run any class competitively, and don't fall for the trap !!! Go to the ”team associated tc4” thread for tips on how to make your car handle. Ray K. and Red Line M03 have the tc4 dialed with videos of them winning both Usgt and 17.5t blinky.... You don't need to spend much to have fun.... Setup what you have first, and go race at your local club. If afterwards you want to change your car, no problem.....
Old 12-03-2013, 07:57 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 68 (100%+)

its not the speed that matters, as much as the fun you will have doing the racing.
Old 12-03-2013, 08:05 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

I recently got back into the on-road scene. Initially, I had an Associated TC3 that I built over 10 years ago and updated with a modern, brushless motor and LiPo setup. After a few races, I got hooked and purchased 2 Xray T3s - one 2011 and one 2012. I spent about $250 for each with a few spare parts and accessories thrown in. This turned out to be a good decision. Your results may vary, but I found attempts to bash with my TC3 to be a very bad decision. Lack of ground clearance and that (unique to the TC3) problem of getting small rocks wedged in the steering rack made for crappy outings. If you're not interested in racing and just want some parking lot or dirt jump fun, then I'd say it's hard to beat something like a stadium truck (Traxxas Rustler or Associated T4). I used to keep a Rustler in my car's trunk and bash whenever I found a cool spot while driving to trailheads in the mountains.
Old 12-03-2013, 08:10 PM
Tech Apprentice

Ha - Guess that's why I had such a hard time finding the 2013 t3 - strange he would call it that - he says he knows a lot about cars and racing.

Thanks for the guidance on the car - I think I will keep my tc4. The only reason why I was looking into the VTA is because it was slower, maybe I would have a chance! The motor I currently have is a castle 1406 5700kv and swidwinder 3 as the esc. It came as a set together. It says it runs 3s but I am running a new 2 cell lipo - dont know how much it matters.

I have been getting pretty good at taking the car apart - rebuilt the wrecked diff in front and back, so I guess I could get the VTA esc and motor and install as needed.

I did notice my car doesnt turn very tight (as well as I have seen in the youtube races) - is that something a servo will fix (stock now) or is that a feature of the body.

Thanks all!

The Yellow Dart

EDIT: Bert - is this the thread? /forum/electric-road/49177-team-associated-tc4.html I have the older tc4 - maybe 6 years?

Last edited by TheYellowDart; 12-03-2013 at 08:17 PM. Reason: Add link
Old 12-03-2013, 08:35 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

The thread is the ”team associated tc4” thread that's on page one... I also think with just a 17.5t motor you'll be racing rightaway, while VTA is not run everywhere, and turnout is not even close to 17.5t... You will have way more fun with 17.5t, and will never have to worry about turnout, ever....
Old 12-04-2013, 01:43 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Originally Posted by bertrandsv87
The thread is the ”team associated tc4” thread that's on page one... I also think with just a 17.5t motor you'll be racing rightaway, while VTA is not run everywhere, and turnout is not even close to 17.5t... You will have way more fun with 17.5t, and will never have to worry about turnout, ever....
I'll give you props on your knowlege of the tc4, but don't go around making false statements on a class that you obviously have something against. VTA has good turnouts at tracks in nearly as many areas as tc17.5 in club weekly racing period!

Yellow, you will have alot more fun running the tc4 in vta. The atmosphere and racer respect of vta racers is better than any of the "faster" classes. I'm not downing 17.5 guys in any way, just saying that they are normally the faster, more serious guys with years of racing / setup experience under their belt and a new racer will be seconds off the pace, and thats not fun. VTA is the class most run to have a good time, not chase "the motor of the week". With VTA you will be much closer to pace speed right away than trying to start out attempting to set your car up for 17.5 speeds. VTA is the FUN class that blends new racers along with veterans and puts everyone on a more level playing field no matter what chassis you run.

Go to a race and just watch the atmosphere on the stand during a 17.5 main, then a VTA main, and decide for yourself which class everyone is having more fun in. The racing is actually closer in VTA most of the time too.

17.5 isn't the ideal class to begin learning setup techniques, especially with a tc4. Yes, they are people who are competitive in the class with them, but they are veterans, with years of track time, and FAR from just begining to race with them. Its not as simple as copying someone else's setup and instantly being fast. VTA racing is a great place to learn what adjustments work for YOU and make YOU become faster, all the while still having fun and not spending alot of money. Alot of people run tc4s in vta, so you'll have racers that can give you setup advice at the track that will work for the class. The tc4 is one of the best chassis for VTA imo.

Alot of tracks run ROAR VTA, which is any blinky mode esc and any 25.5, and some even run 21.5s for VTA, depending on what track is your "local". Check what they run at your track, buy used esc/motor on here and have fun cheap. Personally I chose to just buy the Novak Edge 25.5 combo and run at USVTA specs.
Old 12-04-2013, 12:11 PM
Tech Apprentice

Thanks everyone - read all of your responses and considered each one. I decided I would reconfigure my car for VTA and try it out. My current motor set up seems way to fast for me anyways to get any type of skill out of it and it seems to eat differentials (hopefully the metal one will fix this). I already feel bad spending $200 on the wrong battery (5400 in size, max is 5000 for vta) and not doing my homework on an esc and motor.

Here is what I am going to buy:

Motor/esc: Tower hobbies : LXDRYE
Battery: Tower hobbies : LXBDBH
Tires: Tower hobbies : LXKKW0
Tower hobbies : LXKKW1
Body: Still picking, but VTA body.

Sorry about the part numbers - i can't post links yet.

Total cost: ~255$ - Still cheaper than just my body and at least gets me in a race.

Thanks!

The Yellow Dart
Old 12-04-2013, 01:33 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 71 (100%+)

VTA is a fantastic class for people of all skill sets. It was the first class that got me into on-road racing after coming from dirt. The rules are very easy and depending on the club your 5400mah might be ok in the short term just to get you racing.

Check out http://www.usvintagetransam.com/rules/index.html for the full rules list.

A few small modifications to your list:

Battery:
Gens Ace 5000mah 50c -> http://www.hobbypartz.com/98p-50c-50...case-2222.html
or
Turnigy 5000mah 40c -> http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store...dProduct=28210
Both are fantastic value and IMHO are worlds ahead of the Duratrax you linked to. Cheaper to boot!

ESC/Motor - Used is a great option for the motor and get the hobbywing JuStock esc. They are smoother than the novaks and tend to be more durable.

Last item: Rims - Need these for your VTA tires
Front
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXKKV5&P=M
Rear
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXKKV8&P=M

Lastly, ignore Bert. I don't know what his beef with VTA is but being this is one of (if not the most popular class in on-road currently) its a blast. The lower speeds help you learn car control, racing with others, lowers the wear and tear on the cars (less cost!), and softens the issue of car setup for people who just want to get their feet wet.

Most importantly, have fun!