Wiki Posts
Search

speed comparision against nitro with electric on road

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2013, 03:25 AM
Tech Apprentice

Default speed comparision against nitro with electric on road

Hi,

I am wondering what would be really fast on both straight line and cornering speed. I have seen the nitro ones such as serpent 977 and they looked really fast.

The electric touring cars where pros use looks really fast too and both nitro and electric are belt driven except the nitro have 2 gears.

if that is a pointless comparison then just delete this thread.
Old 11-29-2013, 03:43 AM
Tech Addict

We run both classes on the same track. The Nitro classes (1/8 and 1/10) are faster - especially on a longer track - due to superior corner grip and two speed.

You know how we slow down and roll into a corner before accelerating again. The nitros do it differently. It's just power through the corner.

The supposedly instant acceleration that electric cars have do not provide much of an advantage as you struggle to put down the power. The top electric guys can't even keep up with 'middle of the pack' nitro drivers here.
Old 11-29-2013, 03:51 AM
Tech Apprentice

would electric chassis make any difference if they are wider?
Old 11-29-2013, 04:01 AM
Tech Addict

Am not too sure about that. They're apples and oranges when it comes down to how these two types of cars are driven.

If you just want a straight line speed car then a 1/8 nitro converted to electric while keeping the 2-speed would be your best bet.

If you are talking about speed around an adequately sized track the 1/8 nitro should be the fastest. I've driven both and the grip the 1/8 nitros have are just unbelievable and would beat an electric 1/10 every single time.

Despite saying this, my favourite on-road class is the electric 1/10. Its considerably cheaper to run and IMO provides better wheel to wheel racing action. And a 5.5 boosted car is already faster than most real cars at cruising speed. Plenty fast enough.
Old 11-29-2013, 09:54 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I think it depends on the track layout, the length of straight, etc..... Most top racers use 4.5t boosted, which is really fast but can't catch an 8scale down the straight, but a 3.5t boosted or a 2.5t boosted can, if the electric car is heavy enough to put the power down on the ground.... 1500grams is actually better for straightline acceleration than 1350grams, in my opinion of course: no wheelspin !!! Also, the boost needs to come on at the top end only, and smoothly not abruptly...
Old 11-29-2013, 11:52 AM
Tech Champion

We used to run an annual nitro vs electric race every year. Most years the electric cars won, and this was before brushless and LiPo came on the scene. Now electrics are even faster. Comparing like chassis vs like chassis the electric will be faster on all accounts. With BL they have a lot more power now than previously, the instant torque of electric makes them accelerate faster, and the CG is lower on electric cars so they will corner faster as well. Where nitro still maintains an advantage is in run time, they can come in for a quick refuel and keep going for hours where an electric can not.
Old 11-29-2013, 12:19 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I also don't think it's fair to compare 1/10 electric cars to 8scales... If you ignore Roar electric rules and start tuning the electric car to the max, the 8scales have no chance at all....
By tuning, I mean widening the electric cars to the max and using nitro foam tires, using 3S+ lipo packs, pan type bodies, etc.......
Old 11-30-2013, 04:57 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

First of all u r comparing 8th scale nitro with 10th scale electric.
Next the 8th scale has a advantage of foam tires along with body type.
Put foam tires on a electric tc and a nitro would have no chance. Foam tires is huge advantage compared to rubber tires.
Old 11-30-2013, 05:31 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Depends on many factors.

Small tight tracks with everything being equal electric. But longer straights then there isn't much in it.

Nitro still has a higher peak power output but they both have very different power curves and useable rpm range.

Nitro is cheaper but very little in it.

Nitro cars are stronger.

Race environment electric is fine but for practice and fun with mates, nitro refuel and go plus stronger results in more track time which wins everytime.
Old 11-30-2013, 06:22 AM
Tech Addict

I can see why people are saying both classes should not be compared but if you race on a track where both cars drive side by side on a daily basis then there is definitely a reason for debate and comparison. Not to justify who is faster but why one is faster than the other.

Where I run, the 1/10 electric simply cannot keep up with the 1/8 nitro. We also had a couple of 1/8 electric inferno GTs (4s powered) that tried but also failed to keep up. If we have a 2speed electric car, it might be a different story.

The 1/10 usually run on a smaller cut off section on the track and the 1/8s would occasionally give chase for fun and even on the smaller and tighter sections, there is no doubt the 1/8s are faster.

The foam tyres as previously said are definitely a factor. Electric just doesn't have the corner grip the 1/8 nitro cars have. Drive one and you will see what I mean. You slow down and enter a corner in electric, in nitro u accelerate into the corner without the understeer electric cars experience.

Now in the scenarios I'm talking about, both cars are tuned for races.

The electric cars are running on 5 turn motors with boost, limited at 5 minutes a run. The nitro cars are running with a tune that will see them through one hour races. We can go into the debate of how we can up the electric cars to 2.5 turn boosted but similarly the nitro guys can lean their engines to an unhealthy level and get instant insane power.

As for price of nitro being cheaper... I firmly disagree. I quit nitro 1/8 because of the cost. The foam tyres only last one hour of use at most and you go through an entire gallon of fuel on a weekend. You also go through engines pretty frequently. It adds up really.... really quickly.

The two-speed and superior grip (foam tyres) of the Nitro 1/8s just keep them one head above the electric 1/10s in my opinion.
Old 11-30-2013, 07:01 AM
Tech Apprentice

them brushless motors have higher rpm depending on number of turns and i am not sure about torque and nitro engine's rpm and torque...
Old 11-30-2013, 07:29 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

We have both at our track and when compared side by side the electrics are way faster. The only advantage the nitro guys might have is on the long strait but that is not where races are won and I might be able to gear my car differently to out run them there as well as usually by the time they catch me from out accelerating them I'm hitting the brakes? My 1/8th GT car can run with the mid to low end nitro 1/8th guys and is faster then the 1/8 nitro GT guys. If I was a better driver I'm sure it would be a closer race. If there were more 1/8 966e's or the like out there I'm sure you would see the difference.

You have to compare 1/10 nitro to 1/10 electric to be fair or 1/8th electric to 1/8 nitro and when you do I bet electric wins hands down around the track every time.
Old 11-30-2013, 11:06 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

You guys need to watch some of the YouTube videos of the Dutch and German Pro10 cars.. Insane speeds. Pro10 run foam wheels, and an aero body so they can put some seriously fast laps in.

When ran 10.5 Pro10 on our local track, if the traction was there would could easily beat the 1/10 nitro sedans coming out of the corner, and they would have about the same top speed.

If our track was longer that might have been a different story, but nitro cars just don't have the torque coming out of a tight corner that we normally run.

Cheers,
Shawn
Old 11-30-2013, 01:53 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 71 (100%+)

Apple to oranges. 1/8 nitro has the advantage of higher downforce bodies and foam tires. 1/10 sedan is very quick and I really think the caliber of drivers between the 2 classes is about equal but its like comparing F1 to ALMS cars.
Old 11-30-2013, 01:58 PM
Tech Regular

two very different classes.

1/10 touring cars in mod are being clocked up to speeds of 70mph on the straight, now bearing in mind driving a 1/8 and a 1/10 is very different, as said above 8th is more about power through a corner whilst tourers carry speed n let off the throttle and maybe brake.

in terms of sheer speed the 8ths top is about 70mph same as a touring car.

only reason a 8th is faster round a track is because its well..its like comparing a le man prototype vs a ford fiesta.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.