R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 11-30-2013, 04:16 PM   #1
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default Car Glitching - This One Is A Head Scratcher ?

I have a 2.4Ghz radio (FlySky FS-GT3C) and I’ve never noticed any issues with it and I’m using it on 3 different cars. But one car (TC6.1) will suddenly go full throttle for a quick second or two after I press the throttle button. It doesn’t happen all the time but often enough that it's caused me to break a few things before I realized what was going on.

So I've fully tested this thing every way I know how and the problem is still there. At first I assumed it was the receiver but now I'm not sure. I think it may be the ESC but I was told by my LHS it's probably not. So here is what I've done so far to try to isolate the problem...

1. I assumed it was the receiver (FlySky), so I took another receiver (same kind FlySky) from another car that doesn't have any problems and I put it into my problem car. Problem started happening. I did this again with a 3rd receiver (Hobbywing but same as FlySky) from a 3rd car that has no issues and the problem started happening again in my problem car. I even put these receivers back into the cars they came from and then tested those cars again and they had no issues whatsoever. So it can't be the receiver.

2. I unplugged the transponder and fan (was told maybe these are causing interference). Problem still happening.

3. LHS thought it could be the servo (Savox SC-1251MG) so we tried connecting a “glitch buster” but the issue still seemed to be there so then we tried a “double cap glitch buster” it seemed it was fixed but the problem is still there.

4. Then I disconnected the servo and the only thing that was connected was the ESC and the problem was still there.

The reason I thought it was the ESC earlier was b/c one of the wires was exposed and I thought maybe there is something not working right. At this point, it has to be either the ESC or receiver and I’ve tested the receiver with 2 others. Is there anything else I’m not thinking of? Can the ESC even cause this kind of a problem? It does control the throttle in the first place but would it create glitching? I’m totally frustrated and dumbfounded at this point. My LHS has some good guys there that know cars so I was really hoping the glitch buster would have solved my issue but it didn’t.
- ESC: Turnigy Trackstar 80A Turbo Sensored Brushless
- Servo: Savox SC-1251MG
Nickerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 04:21 PM   #2
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 58 (100%+)

What kind of esc is it? Is the capacitor still attached? What kind of servo are you running?
The brighter the picture, the darker the negative. USVTA member #112
theproffesor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 04:29 PM   #3
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by theproffesor View Post
What kind of esc is it? Is the capacitor still attached? What kind of servo are you running?
No, the capacitor isn't attached. The ESC is a "Turnigy Trackstar 80A"

The Servo is a "Savox SC-1251MG"
- ESC: Turnigy Trackstar 80A Turbo Sensored Brushless
- Servo: Savox SC-1251MG
Nickerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 04:49 PM   #4
Suspended

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I had the same type of issue in my tamiya f103gt once, and nothing worked except when I moved the Esc away from the top deck/lower deck sandwich.... It seems that the Esc waves were altered by the deck's carbon fiber... I put the esc on the top deck(not the best for low CG), and the car worked fine afterwards.... The esc was a Novak gtb(3.5t), and it still works fine today.... Also try to put some space between esc,motor,and servo to see if it makes a difference... I also double up on the servo tape under all my esc's, receivers, etc.....
bertrandsv87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 05:04 PM   #5
Tech Addict

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Had the same issue happen to my son. He ran the FS outdoors on offroad, never a problem. We took it indoors and it started causing issues with Spectrum users at 1st, then started glitching his car WOT too. I think it was catching signals from other Spectrum radio users racing at the same time. We switched to all Futaba trans/recv and never looked into it again.

Are you indoors, around other racers, alone? It may be catching another radios signals like ours was.

Bert's fix is also a good idea to try 1st, as its a free fix

TLR22 / Tekin RS / D4SS 6.5 / Futaba 9551 / ORCA 6000 /SCMOD,
F14 carpet Oval Chassis too!
alloyslash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 05:59 PM   #6
Tech Master

3 model, one TX/Rx. 3 different models all of them has different calibration b/n TX/RX. Recalbrate on model being used. You should be ok. Recheck other models on calibration also.
Geezatec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 07:34 PM   #7
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

2 fixes that might work that i can't believe mobos recommended.

1) Install the capacitor. It needs to be on there.
2) replace the sensor wire to the motor. It sounds like a sensor issue more than anything.
Old 11-30-2013, 08:10 PM   #8
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 58 (100%+)

Yes the capacitor needs to be there. It helps deal with voltage drops as you apply throttle.
The brighter the picture, the darker the negative. USVTA member #112
theproffesor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 08:14 PM   #9
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 67 (100%+)

My guess would be sensor wire. I have seen this happen three times recently. If you have an extra sensor wire, switch it and see if issue goes away.
nutz4rcyktw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 02:09 AM   #10
Tech Elite

Also check your carbon fiber parts on the TC6 very carefully. A guy at our club had a similar issue, would glitch every now and then and after trying different things including different radio systems, it was a hair line crack in his CF chassis which was causing the problem.
As soon as he replaced the CF part - no more problems

Cheers
Rob.
Old 12-01-2013, 05:14 AM   #11
Tech Regular

firstly put a capacitor on your ESC its there for a reason and its rather important for the basic functioning of the ESC.

also make sure your receiver antenna is not wrapped up in carbon fibre, it causes interference
PurcyP is offline   Reply With Quote