R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 11-28-2013, 03:26 PM   #1
Tech Initiate

Default Rs pro gen1/redline gen2 5.5t motor ok for boost??

I'm currently running a tc4 with an rs pro, redline gen2 5.5t BL motor, venom 2s lipo 70c 5300, 72/26 spur pinion combo. I generally run in parking lots and drag mostly, but with that setup I topped out at about 45-47mph with my garmin strapped to it. Looking at getting a hotwire interface but someone on another thread said they didn't think the rs pro could handle a low turn motor with boost. As of right now my motor barely gets warm and so does the esc. My question is, is it safe for the esc and motor to boost it thru hotwire? If so, how much is tolerable and what type of gains can I expect? Should I change my pinion size? Please help...any input would be greatly appreciated.
kmc978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 04:22 PM   #2
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to valk Send a message via AIM to valk Send a message via MSN to valk

Rs pro can handle a 5.5 boost just fine. You might need to add a fan to blow at the posts on the esc though.
Find someone at a local track with a hotwire and mess around. Id prob start around 8:1 fdr then throw a butt load of boost at it.
Sustained high rpm full throttle runs are what heat up the rspro. As are drag brakes. Turn off dragbrake and just use normal braking.

I raced a gen2 4.5 in my tc with that esc. It overheats easily but with cooling it should have no trouble with your 5.5 for bashing.
www.irocc.ca - www.wcics.ca - www.vrcworld.com - http://proampsrc.com/ - www.teamassociated.com
valk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 05:08 PM   #3
Tech Initiate

Ok good lol. So shut off drag brake and get a fan. I think I can handle that. As far as a butt load of boost, my motor is preset at 10 degrees advanced. I just advanced it to 30 and didn't see any real gain but the motor was def warmer. I've read that the rule of thumb is not more than 60 degrees total between motor/boost/turbo. Should I even bother with the motor timing? I also read that the sweet spot should be around 160-180 degree temp. Is this accurate?
Old 11-28-2013, 08:55 PM   #4
Tech Elite

Send a message via ICQ to valk Send a message via AIM to valk Send a message via MSN to valk

boost timing is quite complex and usually requires considerable track time to properly set up. unless you can find someone who has run the exact setup you are running under the same conditions, it really is just a matter of trial and error.

different motors like timing added in different ways. most guys in my group are trinity people and their RS settings had boost added throughout the rpm range. My tekins, gen 1 and 2 both seemed to like boost higher up, starting around the midrange. The rs turbo settings were also kind of unreliable over 6 minutes i found so people were adding more boost than turbo. modified is a little different though as low wind motors have so much torque people were tuning them down with boost to make them friendlier out of a corner, then adding lots of turbo to get straight line speed.

when i had rspro powering my gen2 4.5, i ran only 25 boost and 20 turbo with default endbell timing. that was FAST ENOUGH. what you could try if you wanted pure top speed in a big space is gearing the car for blinky, just a little turbo but add a lot of boost at the upper rpm range.

having your own hotwire is definitely useful on these types of things for sure.
if you want to really get a handle on this, go check out a track that runs modified.
www.irocc.ca - www.wcics.ca - www.vrcworld.com - http://proampsrc.com/ - www.teamassociated.com
Old 11-28-2013, 09:16 PM   #5
Tech Initiate

Ok gotcha, thanks for all the input too. Sorry but I keep seeing the term "blinky" and I have no clue what it means lol. I also don't have many tracks to choose from...we have exactly one on Long Island that I know of and it's indoor off road. I have no problem with trial and error though.
Old 11-28-2013, 09:32 PM   #6
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

If you're racing and you're trying to run a lot of boost and turbo, you're gonna be a fan on that RS pro or else it'll get up to 180+ degrees, which is definitely not good. If you're just messing around in front of a parking lot, you'll probably be ok. Racing puts bigger stress on an ESC and a motor.

Blinky stands for 0 timing and 0 boost. It refers to the ESC blinking when there's no timing or boost, hence the term 'blinky'. It's a stock spec class
Old 11-28-2013, 09:46 PM   #7
Tech Initiate

Ah ok thanks man. How high of a pinion do u think I should be running with a 72t spur? I'm at 26t now.
Old 11-28-2013, 10:10 PM   #8
Suspended

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Talking

The quality of the Esc fan is also important... I think the new WTF fan is the right size and performance for the job....
bertrandsv87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 10:19 PM   #9
Tech Elite

pft.. rc fans... what you need....

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/88...?tl=g36c15s575

this one for roar business

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/21...tl=g36c15s1993

Old 11-28-2013, 10:21 PM   #10
Tech Initiate

lol WTF fan? is that made by GFY?
Old 11-28-2013, 10:24 PM   #11
Tech Initiate

cool thanks valk. is this fan ok too or no?

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXUDM9&P=7
Old 11-28-2013, 10:29 PM   #12
Suspended

Wtf fans or Wild Turbo Fans are available at wildturbofan.com..... They have all the specs, thrust, etc, measured so you know you are getting a solid fan...
Old 11-28-2013, 10:32 PM   #13
Tech Initiate

Awesome thanks guys. Any input on the pinion gear? I'm at 72/26. Do u think if get more gains out of a higher tooth pinion?

Last edited by kmc978; 11-28-2013 at 10:32 PM. Reason: I'd*
Old 11-28-2013, 10:42 PM   #14
Suspended

I would not recommend a bigger pinion. Boost is better with around 8.18FDR gearing(72t/22t pinion). It will also give you more punch,control,etc....
Also add a second wtf 30mm fan for the motor... I own the muchmore fans too, and the wtf outperforms them...
Old 11-29-2013, 03:50 AM   #15
Tech Initiate

Ah ok good call on the fans. I'm just curious about the gearing...my ultimate goal is to have a higher top speed, so if I had a smaller fdr, I get more top end. But if I do that, ur saying the boost won't work as well. So my question is, is it more advantageous to go smaller pinion/higher boost or larger pinion/low boost?