R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Closed Thread

Old 07-11-2005, 11:40 PM   #31
Tech Master

Promatch still matches at 30, don't they?
(978) 416-2572
Old 07-11-2005, 11:40 PM   #32
Tech Initiate

Big Dog and Burps

There is an old saying that people may think you are STUPID but if you open your mouth then they will KNOW,yes I use Maxamps and while some of them don't make the grade most do and I don't have to spend $80.00 plus dollars for an abused pack, I get to abuse them myself. So dog if you are so tired then please don't try to impress for as I have already stated WE KNOW!

Last edited by Tucker; 07-12-2005 at 06:56 AM.
Old 07-11-2005, 11:41 PM   #33
Tech Addict

Send a message via AIM to vi3tishduy

nope, mine are 35's
Old 07-11-2005, 11:43 PM   #34
Tech Master

You don't have to spend $80 for a matched pack. There are plenty of matchers that offer very good cells under $50 and even under $40.
(978) 416-2572
Old 07-11-2005, 11:44 PM   #35
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by vi3tishduy
nope, mine are 35's
Hmmm, their website still lists them as 30, at least the last time I visited. The numbers they have listed are also 30 amp numbers...
(978) 416-2572
Old 07-11-2005, 11:52 PM   #36
Tech Initiate

Hyper

You are correct but most of the superior intelligent crowd look down their noses at anything less then $80.00 if you ain't spending you ain't winning. Their thinking not mine I buy as cheap as I can and see what I can make of them.
Old 07-12-2005, 01:20 AM   #37
Tech Adept

Okay, I think I got it. The attached document is a test I did some months ago to figure out whether or not MaxAmp batteries performed as advertised. This is not a scientific test, but it all done using the same parameters for each battery. All the batteries were new, charged/discharged and recharged and tested.

Simply, I put a 30 amp load on the batteries, with a stop watch and multi-meter I recorded the voltage at 15 second intervals. (This idea I got from a well noted R/C Magazine, note the included Performance Curve Chart) Then with a little basic math, I came up with the figures of Pack Avg and Cell Avg. This is what a computer does, other devices work on the same principles and use the same forumlas I did, though they do throw in different variables.

I guess you can guess what MA batteries were tested against .... they were 1.18's too. I mean NO disrespect the manufacturer they are good batteries. LiPo's are something else that I am testing, they were done the same way.

I have found with a stock motor for every 10th of a volt, 500 rpms are lost. I don't care about the technicals of IR, Run Time, etc. 5 minutes of performance from a battery is all I want. Of course that has changed to 6 minutes of performance, we're running longer heats at the local go-round.

You cannot race dyno's, that I have proven with both Tekin and Fanthom Racing. I know, that no two charges will charge the same way over and over again. So I have to deduct that no two computers or testing methods will net you the same results. Because it them becomes "Statiscal Averaging" and you all know how statistics can be manipulated.

Plain and simple you have to find numbers and a system that works for you. With a system of numbers that work for you, you can then put them all together consistently so that your car can perform to your expectations. This system works for me, my system also tells me that Maxamp claims are true, just as the other the manufacturers claims are. I am just watching my pennies so I don't take nothing away from my family for my playthings. I am happy with that!

Now with that said. People will say "well, but how about the performance on the track". Two things I have to say, buy the batteries and test them for yourself, or buy yourself a plane ticket to Phoenix and come on out to RCSM on any Saturday night and you will be shown how well they work".

As my "Grand-Pappy" would say, "Now its your turn to crap or get off the pot". But please make sure you have your feces consolidated.
Attached Files
File Type: doc Date.doc (91.0 KB, 140 views)

Last edited by Hick; 07-12-2005 at 08:44 AM.
Old 07-12-2005, 03:04 AM   #38
Tech Adept

Send a message via ICQ to elvo

Hick,

what do you use as a load? If you want to do it correctly, you can't use a plain resistor. As the voltage drops, the current will drop with it....

For the record: MaxAmps batteries are allright. They have good voltage, good runtime, and are more or less matched. They do the trick for me, I'm leading the national championship.
IMHO, these days it's more important to buy new cells every 3 months, than to get the 80 bucks ultra-closely matched ones.
Old 07-12-2005, 07:19 AM   #39
Tech Initiate

Hick

Maybe you should do something to your post to emphasize that it is not a scientific test other wise you are going to be debating heat, load, resistance,charge amps, room temperature, were you smoking,what phaze was the moon in and anything else someone can come up with to argue about. You should have also told them that while the numbers and method used are different a CE Turbo matcher used on the same cells confirm what you already know which are the best packs for your use application regardless of numbers and stickers.

elvo I agree
Old 07-12-2005, 09:43 AM   #40
Tech Adept

Yes, Elvo...the bucket full of water with a hole near the bottom analogy is appropriate here.

I took an unknown, untested battery and compared it to a proven known battery, established a performance baseline and went on from there. It was the same 30 amp load place on all batteries, it was the same multi-meter, same stop-watch, I used the same chargers. Even though my grades didn't show it, I did learn something in school. Wow! That does meet the requirements of a scientific experiment! Who'd a thunk! K.I.S.S.

I didn't do these test to prove a point to no one except me! I will share them, with the results I got speak for themselves. Screwed up maybe, not a scientific as some would like. Not enough money spent on testing? That's okay.

I still turn the same lap times, flip my sprinter just as many times before, whack the wall in the same places, and I win occassionally. All with the same confidence as I did before, but with a little more money in my pocket!
Old 07-12-2005, 12:00 PM   #41
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to BigDogRacing

Tucker, after reading your posts another old saying comes to mind- "Don't bring a knife to a gunfight"

Your knowlege is more of a butter knife
Old 07-12-2005, 12:37 PM   #42
Tech Master

BigDog: I'm trying not to crack off a crude remark about the hose in your avatar....LMAO
Old 07-12-2005, 12:40 PM   #43
Tech Addict

Send a message via AIM to vi3tishduy

lol......
Old 07-12-2005, 06:25 PM   #44
Tech Elite

[QUOTE=elvo]Hick,

what do you use as a load? If you want to do it correctly, you can't use a plain resistor. As the voltage drops, the current will drop with it.... QUOTE]

Uh, I am pretty sure that as the voltage drops the resistance drops, therefore the resistor tries to pull more amps.

Same thing with a light bulb. When its off, it has the least resistance. As you turn it on, and current flows, it heats up-raising the resistance. When the light dims, its resistance goes down again.
Old 07-12-2005, 06:34 PM   #45
Tech Addict

Send a message via MSN to dynoman007 Send a message via Skype™ to dynoman007
Default rofl

if you hit the walls more than 2 times in a race it doesnt matter what batteries you have spend money on tire and practice time and have fun that is what the hobby is about ............
Closed Thread