Wiki Posts
Search

Which shock oil?

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2013, 10:01 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default Which shock oil?

Yeah I know this is a noob question, but if I don't ask I won't ever learn right? I need to rebuild my shocks on my tc3 and was wondering what weight I should use when I replace the shock oil? I will be using it to race on carpet this winter and to do some lot racing in the spring/summer months next year. Thanks in advance to anyone that can help.
Old 11-25-2013, 10:19 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)

Originally Posted by hoosier_rc_nut
Yeah I know this is a noob question, but if I don't ask I won't ever learn right? I need to rebuild my shocks on my tc3 and was wondering what weight I should use when I replace the shock oil? I will be using it to race on carpet this winter and to do some lot racing in the spring/summer months next year. Thanks in advance to anyone that can help.
Best thing to do is ask people at your track as to what they run. Each setup is different and can change depending on track conditions. I would think most carpet setups run anywhere from 350cst to 500cst.

Last edited by Jerz616; 11-25-2013 at 02:30 PM.
Old 11-25-2013, 10:27 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

It's actually not a noob question at all. Shock oil plays a big role in the suspension and can greatly affect setups.

There are tons of factors that go into shocks, like conditions, traction, surface, car, speeds, number of holes in the piston, etc... Like Ryan said, the best thing to do is ask your local guys and see what a good starting point would be.
Old 11-25-2013, 12:27 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 68 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Jerz616
deiebding
how did it get to that?
Old 11-25-2013, 01:00 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by ThePanda
how did it get to that?
I'm impressed, if you google it the only result is this thread.

As others have said, ask around at the track to get an idea what people are running for shock setups. Usual range is 350-500cSt, but depending on what pistons you're running it could throw that off. Depends on what sort of grip your track has too. Otherwise you'll just have to try something and see how it goes, only way to get it completely right.
Old 11-25-2013, 01:25 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Thumbs up re...shock oil

The TC3 manual is posted on the AE web site. Kit comes with 40wt shock oil and gold front and silver rear springs. Best advice is ask at the track see what other guys are using. I run my TC4 Diggity Design conversio in 21.5 stock on carpet with 35wt front and 30wt rear shock oil. silver front and green rear springs with front and rear sway bars..

Also all my shock oils are old school 30,40,50wt etc!!!! Is there a chart some where coming shock oil from the the old designation to the new ratings???
Old 11-25-2013, 02:31 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ThePanda
how did it get to that?
My auto correct is dislexic and stupid.
Old 11-25-2013, 02:32 PM
Tech Regular

I've recently done a LOT of research on this and ultimately, you have to try different oils, springs, pistons etc. and find what best suits you.
First step, find out what guys are running at your local track, start with the average weight oil and move to thicker or thinner, depending in how your car reacts to your driving style.
to sum up, there is no "right" oil to use. it all depends on the individual driver, the surface, what springs and pistons you have and what mounting locations you are using.
Old 11-25-2013, 02:34 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (75%+)

Originally Posted by THEBIGBULL
The TC3 manual is posted on the AE web site. Kit comes with 40wt shock oil and gold front and silver rear springs. Best advice is ask at the track see what other guys are using. I run my TC4 Diggity Design conversio in 21.5 stock on carpet with 35wt front and 30wt rear shock oil. silver front and green rear springs with front and rear sway bars..

Also all my shock oils are old school 30,40,50wt etc!!!! Is there a chart some where coming shock oil from the the old designation to the new ratings???
I don't think that cst is new, its just come into use because '50 wt' can vary from mfr to mfr, but a cst at associated should be the same cst at xray because cst is more of a standard (and no, I can't really explain it better than that, google is your friend!). Muchmore and xray are sold by cst and all of my associated oil has a cst rating on the bottle (although if it is old enough I don't know what would be on the label).

I'm always a little leery of charts and tables that compare shock oils unless I can see the actual cst numbers. If you are using associated, its probably a decent bet that they haven't changed anything and you can figure out cst just by looking at pictures of the new labeling on any rc store website. hope that helps a little.
Old 11-25-2013, 04:23 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

The best place to start always is the manual default setup. If you do not understand what the car is doing or how to analyze what it is doing around the track, then starting with a box stock setup will give you the most neutral and balanced setup across a wide range of conditions.

I am reluctant to recommend the "SHEEPLE" approach to RC, because it is not a one size fits all affair. Because you can often end up with the situation where, the fast guys might be running rather hard unforgiving setups, but you need something that is softer, rolls more, and is easier to drive.

Mostly, and i think this works for everything in RC, if you do not know what to do, start neutral and balanced with the manual default setup and when you can drive with a consistency of 0.5 seconds race after race and can understand what the car is doing and what you need it to do to make it faster, then start to tune the car to your needs.
Old 11-26-2013, 12:48 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by RogerDaShrubber
The best place to start always is the manual default setup. If you do not understand what the car is doing or how to analyze what it is doing around the track, then starting with a box stock setup will give you the most neutral and balanced setup across a wide range of conditions.

I am reluctant to recommend the "SHEEPLE" approach to RC, because it is not a one size fits all affair. Because you can often end up with the situation where, the fast guys might be running rather hard unforgiving setups, but you need something that is softer, rolls more, and is easier to drive.

Mostly, and i think this works for everything in RC, if you do not know what to do, start neutral and balanced with the manual default setup and when you can drive with a consistency of 0.5 seconds race after race and can understand what the car is doing and what you need it to do to make it faster, then start to tune the car to your needs.
Thanks for the advice guys. I will take it all with me when I go to the track, but I think I will follow Roger's advice and go with the manual (which says to use 40 wt.) as a starting point and go from there. I should have figured that out myself but like I said I will take all of your pointers with me to the track. Thanks again.
Old 11-26-2013, 04:44 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

These may help.
http://www.offroad-cult.org/Special/...wt_convert.php
http://www.rcrcr.com/index.php?optio...eral&Itemid=46
Old 11-26-2013, 05:09 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Thanks for the advice guys. I will take it all with me when I go to the track, but I think I will follow Roger's advice and go with the manual (which says to use 40 wt.) as a starting point and go from there. I should have figured that out myself but like I said I will take all of your pointers with me to the track. Thanks again.
If you cannot find Associated 40wt, a 500cst silicon oil will be very close to what you need. Hope that helps and good luck with the racing.
Old 11-26-2013, 05:41 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by RogerDaShrubber
If you cannot find Associated 40wt, a 500cst silicon oil will be very close to what you need. Hope that helps and good luck with the racing.
I've already found it on e bay and bought it. Thanks again for all of the advice.
Old 11-27-2013, 11:13 AM
Tech Rookie

No expert at all but have had experience a little in other fields to rc.

Outside rc they all seem to use standards whatever the oil is used for.

For some reason in rc some use 30 40 50 when others use 300 400 500.
Why are the standards not the same for this.

As I understand it the spec standars are for consumer hospital/doctors and fire service so they know what they are dealing with. These oils all have a hazzard to a point the standard should be the same for rc.

The only reason I can see they get away with it is it's use is in small qty.
AE will keep the 30 40 50wht so you buy AE oil's others will use 300 400 500,
so when you look at team set ups you use that brand.

As I understand it 30 40 and 50 do not equate to 300 400 and 500