R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road-2/)
-   -   new types of touring cars (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road/774752-new-types-touring-cars.html)

rc car guy 11-26-2013 09:55 PM

new types of touring cars

Alright so recently ive noticed that apart from the awesomatix every touring car apart from chassis cut outs all look the same now. So please post a link to each touring car that has come out within the last year (2012-current). Lets see if anyone is doing anything different with touring cars

XCELL 11-26-2013 10:14 PM

You should take the time to do the research yourself, You would find out the information you are looking for faster.

Patrick

rc car guy 11-26-2013 10:23 PM

I lookes up several of the cars but theres cars out there that I woulsnt find if I looked for a week. Im not looking for an easy touring car thread to see all im looking to see the different cars that arent readily searhed

bertrandsv87 11-26-2013 10:39 PM

There is only One new type of touring Car : the Awesomatix A700 L/EX/EXL/EVO....... RESEARCH OVER !!! LoL !!!

hyujmn 11-26-2013 10:45 PM

The Schumacher Mi5 did some weird thing with the upper deck which was pretty nifty. It's also got a very cool design for the center steering brace.

The Awesomatix is really the only touring car out in recently that just completely threw out the old formula of touring cars.

And this really is all research you could've done yourself lol

wtcc 11-26-2013 11:55 PM

It is all up to us tinkers to try new things out. All established manufacturers play it save, introducing new parts slowly step by step, after they proved to suit their actual car.
Only Awesomatix entered the market with a surprise design. The risk was high, but in spite of the high price they managed to get their customers. But the number of customers compared to other manufacturers as Hudy, AE, Yokomo, Tamiya and so on, is low.
Playing it save for the big manufacturers means they can be sure of their profit, they don't frighten customers away and waste money. If all big names continue doing it that way, the further development speed will be slow. If one of them raises the bar with a revolutionary (faster) design then we will see action again. Unfortunately the Awesomatix didn't prove to be a dominant better design.

I believe that the next generation of touring cars will be much more complex regarding suspension/damper design; and therefore expensive to produce. The coming generation will also need an other way of setup understanding and to deal with car management electronics.

andrewdoherty 11-27-2013 12:14 AM

Playing it safe.

andrewdoherty 11-27-2013 12:15 AM

Not hatin', just sayin'.

tak4 11-27-2013 04:14 AM

Most cars nowadays look similar but you can definitely see the differences from one generation to the next.

I'm looking at my Kyosho TF-5 stallion, BD5wx, Serpent Eryx and Xray T4'14 side by side.

The TF5 (as sleek as it once was) looks like a boat compared to the rest. The BD5x looks similar to the modern cars but closer inspection shows clumsier and longer shocks which goes with the taller shock towers compared to the modern Eryx and T4'14 which boasts lower centre of gravity.

The (outgoing) Eryx and T4'14 are of course as new as they come but both are different in designs as well. The T4'14 is using it's new exchangeable blocks as a selling point but the (maybe) 10-year-old Tf-5 Stallion already had them. So it's not new... just new to the X-ray cars.

Also there's the saying "Why change something that's not broken". Best example I can think of are the outdrives on the Kyosho TF6 which uses balls instead of dogbones. Great idea but I've seen them fail on moderate impacts, leading many to switch them out for classic dogbones.

Qatmix 11-27-2013 05:08 AM

Rule change will be the main thing to change chassis design.

The majority of chassis are 'similar' as they follow the most race proven layout to base a touring car on. The fact that they look similar from a casual glance means nothing. I can sit down with a 417 and an Xray and they handle very differently.

These cars are refined pieces of machinery, where every millimetre counts.

The awesomatix is a fantastic piece of kit, and I have a buddy who is loving his. But overall when you look at results, its no more successful than any of the current breed, if it was destroying them on the track then everyone would be looking at changing to that layout.

bertrandsv87 11-27-2013 09:30 AM

The Awesomatix Car is dominating all Spec Classes right now, and would have dominated Mod classes if they had enough money to get few top drivers like Volker, Hara, Rheinard,etc.... The other companies have already flooded the market, and still there are over three Awesomatix cars in every Amain... To put it simply, the Awesomatix is far beyond the knowledge of the average racer, and it's up to the racer to catchup to the Car, not the other way around...
You give any driver an Awesomatix, and he'll be instantly 0.2second per lap faster than with his usual Car, and that's with the base setup, no tinkering yet... Just you wait until the A700 starts winning Mod everywhere !!!

PurcyP 11-27-2013 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by bertrandsv87 (Post 12763066)
The Awesomatix Car is dominating all Spec Classes right now, and would have dominated Mod classes if they had enough money to get few top drivers like Volker, Hara, Rheinard,etc.... The other companies have already flooded the market, and still there are over three Awesomatix cars in every Amain... To put it simply, the Awesomatix is far beyond the knowledge of the average racer, and it's up to the racer to catchup to the Car, not the other way around...
You give any driver an Awesomatix, and he'll be instantly 0.2second per lap faster than with his usual Car, and that's with the base setup, no tinkering yet... Just you wait until the A700 starts winning Mod everywhere !!!

:weird:

every chassis on the market is now up to a point where its all equal and its down to the driver, a car cant magically make you faster unless your previous was a complete dog.

bert you do talk a lot of pap dont you lol.

Anyway

in terms of touring car innovations, things have plateaued and its in a stage where things just improve and then slowly innovate, the MI5 was hardly a ground breaker with its vertical top deck and servo/steering mount setup, all been done before by capricorn and WRC.

The next thing that could innovate is the number of belts maybe? or some different style of shaft drive, who knows..not my job lol

DesertRat 11-27-2013 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by bertrandsv87 (Post 12763066)

http://memecrunch.com/meme/12MJ7/not...king/image.png

Noobi_Kenubi 11-27-2013 10:09 AM

New types would be awesomatix, tamiya tb04, tamiya ta06 ms(planning to buy this maybe), schumacer mi5.

These are the current models which uses different chassis layout that i know of.

But truth to be told, ive seen people reverting back to chassis with old layout (those two belt thingy) since its a lot easier to setup the car by sharing tips with friends.

Being rare is fun but it will be a lonely trip to get the right setup.

inpuressa 11-27-2013 10:36 AM

Tires are limit when it comes to handling. No amount of design change will give you faster laps when you are already at the limit of the tires. You can get phenomenal grip from tires on carpet, but then you traction roll. So how do you keep the car from rolling without forcing the car to not have grip or adding a ginormous wing, slowing the car down? Google "Chaparral 2J" Now that will be "innovation"

At this point, any other chassis change is just gimmicky imo. But it sure does look cool. Nice refresher from the cookie cutter designs.