Wiki Posts
Search

new types of touring cars

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2013, 02:48 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by theproffesor
I had a jrxs and it was awesome. It was a great idea at the tine to center the heaviest items. I think it would be a great idea again with some modern tweaks. Chassis flex would be an issue but I am sure that could be overcome with a good suspension design.
I had a guy I race with who does a lot of offroad prototype builds CNC mill me out a few new top decks and battery tray for the JRX-S to give it some flex. It's still a bit tight but the new deck/tray combo lets me run a thick shorty LiPo with bullet plugs with room to spare.
Old 11-27-2013, 06:00 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by bertrandsv87
Awesomatix = tc4 + new shocks.....
Don't feed the real troll (....)....
The Tc4 beat all the belt contenders in USGT, and almost lapped the field...
thats because its more efficient, by a fair amount, you put a tc4 and a new car in the hands of 2 equal opponents ill gaurentee the new car cars comes out on top, assuming that the motor they are running is 17.5 or higher. also a newer trend that happened was the smaller shocks, and smaller shock towers, which lowered the cog, id like to personally see less rotating mass especially in the djc, cvd/a its alot of extra weight and we can surely reduce it and that will in turn allow our cars to go faster, with less heat

Last edited by rc car guy; 11-27-2013 at 06:54 PM.
Old 11-28-2013, 11:19 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by rc car guy
thats because its more efficient, by a fair amount, you put a tc4 and a new car in the hands of 2 equal opponents ill gaurentee the new car cars comes out on top, assuming that the motor they are running is 17.5 or higher. also a newer trend that happened was the smaller shocks, and smaller shock towers, which lowered the cog, id like to personally see less rotating mass especially in the djc, cvd/a its alot of extra weight and we can surely reduce it and that will in turn allow our cars to go faster, with less heat
Who really cares? Most people race the stock type classes and the fact is, a 10 year old+ shaft drive design can still beat the most expensive high tech cars out there. I was lucky enough to win a stock class national title this year with my TC3 + another competitive event (by New Zealand standards) where we ran 13.5 boosted...

You can spend all the money in the world on having graphite this, and titanium that, with a million settings, but the fact is, if you car has been designed well from the factory(with few but important setting options only) + is very efficient, it will be extremely hard to beat in stock type racing.

Last edited by ixlr8nz; 11-28-2013 at 11:32 PM.
Old 11-29-2013, 08:17 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Qatmix
Rule change will be the main thing to change chassis design.

The majority of chassis are 'similar' as they follow the most race proven layout to base a touring car on. The fact that they look similar from a casual glance means nothing. I can sit down with a 417 and an Xray and they handle very differently.

These cars are refined pieces of machinery, where every millimetre counts.

The awesomatix is a fantastic piece of kit, and I have a buddy who is loving his. But overall when you look at results, its no more successful than any of the current breed, if it was destroying them on the track then everyone would be looking at changing to that layout.
Agree with this and would like to add, the manufacturers are playing it safe maybe because in the last 10-12 years there were many different ideas - TRF414, Losi jrxs, xxxs, Corally, AE tc3 etc and after all that the TRF415 layout came out on top. Given our electronics perhaps it is the least compromised design overall.
Old 11-29-2013, 08:51 AM
Tech Champion

Smile

The trf415 did not come out on top, the tc3 did !!! The tc3 ,shaft design is everywhere in all durable Rc toys, drifting kits, winning kits, mini Rc cars, Gt cars 8th scale(no belts here), and all the real 4x4 cars that haul all you overweight racers to the track.... The shaft drive is universal, while the belt drive is limited to some Rc classes.... Even boats, helicopters, airplanes, flying saucers, use shaft not belt !!! LoL!!! All the types of real racing use shaft drive not belt....
.......THE TC3 WINS !!! PERIOD !!!
Old 11-29-2013, 02:24 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by bertrandsv87
.. Even boats, helicopters,....
Plenty of RC helis using belts.

TF5 had a belt & shaft version of the same car (carbon not the plastic tub version)....
Almost zero difference in track times between the 2 , as tested in a RC MAG a few years back.
Old 11-30-2013, 01:25 AM
Tech Fanatic

http://www.rctech.net/forum/12769945-post4880.html

Please pay your attention on the innovations that will come with Awesomatix A700 Evo car to the end of this year.
Old 11-30-2013, 05:59 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Tyres and straight line performance still have the biggest influence on lap times.
Old 11-30-2013, 06:29 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by frozenpod
Tyres and straight line performance still have the biggest influence on lap times.
Guys, please see this thread topic - "new types of touring cars" but not "what touring car is faster now and why?"
Old 11-30-2013, 08:05 AM
Tech Addict

if you go back to the beginning post i had planned on a discussion of that sorts, but it never got to that point, really once you get a set up for a track, like i am running my tc 6.1(not worlds) and i was running a. bear's from petite rc i think, and the only thing i changed was the rear droop, and really the rest was me fine tuning my car, and driving style, fastest car at our track until i hit the wall hahaha, but that will change, and really tires should be the first thing you pick out, this isnt offroad dirt were running on here, see what the others guys are running we are running jako blues or 32's and we seem to be fairly good, no one was too stuck
Old 11-30-2013, 03:00 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Oleg, I did read the thread topic and to specially answer the question your car is the really only different option out there.

But tyres and power output are the two biggest factors in getting you 90% of the way to being fast. The chassi only contributes about 10% and they have all pretty much evolved to be very good.

Bert, I am a big fan of the TC3-4 ran the TC4 for years and they were very competitive against newer cars.

As good as newer cars no, why? Because mainance was a pain, too heavy and the design isn't quite as good.

IMO it is still the longest running car to remain competitive at local tracks.

IMO the future of RC cars if we stick with rubber tyres is better shocks (current shocks high frequency dampening sucks). Awesomatix is certainly a step forward, ultra low CG suspension but locally they haven't taken off.
Old 11-30-2013, 06:33 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

How about dampers with a spring inside the cylinder?
The current oil filled dampers rely on oil thickness and resistance through the holes in the pistons for dampening. And the rebound is set with ... It's hard to do different rebound accurately.

But if we had springs with different rates or/and lengths pushing the piston upward, setting the rebound would be a breeze. See my draft below.

Also the compression from full droop would be quicker which will translate to faster weight transfer front to back if desired. Or side to side without the use of excessively thick swaybars. Overall it will be another way to tune the shocks and suspension.
Old 11-30-2013, 07:15 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by edhchoe
How about dampers with a spring inside the cylinder?
The current oil filled dampers rely on oil thickness and resistance through the holes in the pistons for dampening. And the rebound is set with ... It's hard to do different rebound accurately.

But if we had springs with different rates or/and lengths pushing the piston upward, setting the rebound would be a breeze. See my draft below.

Also the compression from full droop would be quicker which will translate to faster weight transfer front to back if desired. Or side to side without the use of excessively thick swaybars. Overall it will be another way to tune the shocks and suspension.
Thats pretty ingenious my friend I have somr extra shocks and a set of 1/12 scale center springs and some wire cutters sounds like a plan although it would act as a shock limiter when compressed and thats no bueno we could make and insert for the inside of a larger shock where its tapered at the bottom it could be smaller and at the top larger and that could control the rebound easier you would just need a larger shock
Old 11-30-2013, 09:44 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by frozenpod
Oleg, I did read the thread topic and to specially answer the question your car is the really only different option out there.
But tyres and power output are the two biggest factors in getting you 90% of the way to being fast. The chassi only contributes about 10% and they have all pretty much evolved to be very good.......
IMO the future of RC cars if we stick with rubber tyres is better shocks (current shocks high frequency dampening sucks).....
What about 100% pneumatic tyres without the sponge inserts?
I have just remembered that I have tried this at 2002 TC Euro Champ in Lostallo and even finished some hits with still inflated tires.
Some benefits are obvious: less weight and possibility of the inner pressure adjustment.
Of course it needs a completely new design for the tires structure for better result but this is possible even for current tires.
Old 11-30-2013, 09:49 PM
Tech Addict

so it seems that the xray t4 has been winning a good amount lately, so what ever they are doing must be doing right, although id like to see it go up against the new 6.2 it would definitely be interesting, assuming both drivers are =

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.