R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 07-08-2005, 03:53 PM   #16
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

The less grip your track has the bigger the tire you can run. 59-60mm may be ok at a club track drawing 40 guys a week or if you cant use Paragon. However, if you get 100 guys a week and run Paragon you may have to start out at 58mm or smaller.

At the Snowbirds (crazy traction) we started out at just over 57mm. Any bigger and your car would flip off the track
AdrianM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2005, 04:08 PM   #17
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slow4dr
Good stuff. Thanks guys. (makes you wonder why they don't offer foams at ~60 right out of the box)
Cause that'd really suck

I'm running a non-Paragon track where theres only about 3-4 guys a week running foam so its extremely low grip. I'm gonna try to get ahold of some Paragon though and try to get an actual groove going on there.
BlackKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2005, 04:27 PM   #18
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by raving-monkey
what track do you run at? is it bedworth?

most of us..if not all of us other here in the UK run rubber on tarmac...anyway,s ince tarmac is more abrasive than carpet, i'd say go for something like 40 shore, thats what ir un on the ntc3.
no its not at that track its at leverton,

i am using cs-22s ushely at the min and they work,its just that i like the feel of the orions wern i tryed them (just put them on cus i had finised the indoor carpet cham ther) rubber seem ok tho so might stop with them then. thanks anyway bob
bob33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2005, 04:39 PM   #19
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

For running foams on asphalt, it was suggested to me to run nitro compound foams on my electric TC as they would last longer. I tried that for a while, but was having traction issues, so I switched to a Purple rear/Plaid front set up. It seemed to hook the car right up, but did seem to wear faster than the nitro foams. I need to experiment some more with the nitro foams, to really know, but if I can get decent life out of the plaids an purples, I'll just stick with them. Just some food for thought. And when running on asphalt, you might as well just run the foams straight out of the package (no truing down) for longer life. They seem to work just fine at full size. Good luck with your tire hunt!
Old 07-10-2005, 07:28 PM   #20
Tech Regular

we run Frewer black rear and gold or pink fr. outside on a asphalt track. They last for about five racedays when machined to 62mm.

Provided you dont chunk them in a crash of course

I just dont have any luck with rubber probably something i'm doing wrong
loopedeloop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2005, 08:54 PM   #21
Tech Master

One big problem with foams I believe is chunking...If you crash or run over a few corners.Probably there goes some of the foams on your tires.Though I've never run foams on electric as my area runs rubber on carpet and foams.I know as I've ran 1/8 on road before,and it'll be a pain in the a$$ if the tires got chunked when its new and with a big diameter and lots of runs to go....

I still like rubber...Though less grip(a lot less!!),traction detoerates in a few runs( we always sand our tires ever run to expose the newer rubber below.)But at least they don't chunk ...
Ben.C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 01:32 AM   #22
Tech Regular

yeah, chunking used to drive me nuts until i discovered that:

If you sand the out side edge of your foam after truing so that it has a 2or3 mm radius........IT DONT HAPPEN anymore!!

Makes for a much more enjoyable raceday
loopedeloop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 08:37 AM   #23
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juan Valdez
For running foams on asphalt, it was suggested to me to run nitro compound foams on my electric TC as they would last longer. I tried that for a while, but was having traction issues, so I switched to a Purple rear/Plaid front set up. It seemed to hook the car right up, but did seem to wear faster than the nitro foams. I need to experiment some more with the nitro foams, to really know, but if I can get decent life out of the plaids an purples, I'll just stick with them. Just some food for thought. And when running on asphalt, you might as well just run the foams straight out of the package (no truing down) for longer life. They seem to work just fine at full size. Good luck with your tire hunt!
Last year, when I had a VERY good budget, I tried many different combinations of Nitro foam manufacturers, tire widths and shore ratings. The best combination by far was Jaco Nitro Shoes 26mm 40 shore fronts and 30mm 35 (or 30) shore rears. For the older xray FK(04) with a heavier rear end, I had to use 30 shore rears, but now with the FK05 I'm able to use 35 shore rears. The JNS's are the lightest of all, and the compound is much more like a fibery sponge than rubber. They do wear slower than electric foams and they also soak up and keep additive much better.
teamgp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 08:44 AM   #24
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben.C
One big problem with foams I believe is chunking...
To cure chunking, I apply a thick layer of slow cure thick CA glue from the plastic rim to the outer diameter edge on the outside of each tire, and let it soak in and dry overnight. Then after trueing them down, I use a file to round the inside and outside edges about 2mm. After two runs, you'll need to round the edges again or the stress on the sidewalls from cornering will crack the CA on the outer sidewalls and make it ineffective.
teamgp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 10:44 AM   #25
Tech Addict

The local indoor track here is getting new carpet and I heard a RUMOR that when they do they will only allow foam tires on it because rubber tires "tear up the carpet".It sounds like huge BS to me.Anyone know if there is any truth to this?
DrOlds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 10:50 AM   #26
Tech Master

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

I have heard that a rubber tire with too soft of an insert will roll over and the wheel will cut into the carpet.
newracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 10:55 AM   #27
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrOlds
The local indoor track here is getting new carpet and I heard a RUMOR that when they do they will only allow foam tires on it because rubber tires "tear up the carpet".It sounds like huge BS to me.Anyone know if there is any truth to this?

This argument has raged on since the inception of touring car racing. It doesn't really matter which one wears the carpet more, you run whatever the track allows you to run, and be thankful that you have a track to race on. Rubber tires suck anyway.
Team CRC, PowerPush, Access Race Place, US Indoor Champs, CD SUPERPRO, RK Designs, TxDSkingraphix, Cypress, Founder and lead instructor of the Ian Ruggles Negative Reinforcement Driver Training Program, enroll now.....
CypressMidWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 11:00 AM   #28
Tech Champion

Nope...its an old wives tale. You can call Scotty Ernst from S&N Trackside in WI, Reuben Benitez of Stockton R/C Raceway in CA or Debbie Cartwright of Rain City Raceway in WA to confirm this. They all race rubber and foam on carpet and say there is no difference in wear on the carpet. The real carpet killer is poor track layouts where you have high speed runs into tight corners. The cars braking hard pull on the carpet fibers even if its glued down and will eventually wear a hole in it. For example a long straight with a hairpin at the end is the worst possible layout.

You have to change the layout monthly, make sure you always have a sweeper after the straight to slow the cars down entering the infield or don't have long straights where cars build a lot of speed.
AdrianM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 11:00 AM   #29
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrOlds
What wears more, more friction more traction, less friction less traction?
pops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 11:13 AM   #30
Tech Elite

Adrian is exactly right. ANY carpet track will experience wear in the areas where the cars are exerting the most lateral force on the carpet. HEAVY BRAKING areas, and areas where there is a tremendous amount of lateral acceleration take the biggest hits, regardless of tire type. Leaving a layout down for too long is an absolute slayer of carpet. After two or three weeks, depending on racer turnout you'll see the carpet at the end of the straight begin to "lay-over" slightly. This is not a good thing.
Team CRC, PowerPush, Access Race Place, US Indoor Champs, CD SUPERPRO, RK Designs, TxDSkingraphix, Cypress, Founder and lead instructor of the Ian Ruggles Negative Reinforcement Driver Training Program, enroll now.....
CypressMidWest is offline   Reply With Quote