R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 10-02-2001, 10:58 AM   #1
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 69 (100%+)
Default the next TC3

i wonder what the next generation TC3 will look like?
to start off, my wish list includes following:
1. pivot ball suspension (similar to the x-ray or C4)
2. fully sealed drivetrain (there has to be a way to enclose the pinion and spur gear mesh - our track destroys those gears, especially 64 pitch)
3. built in nerf wings and wider front bumper
4. retain the shaft drive
5. fully sealed steering rack (pebbles sometimes lodge themselves in here)
6. separate motor mount (should be aluminum for cooler motor temp)
7. im out
marvi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2001, 02:17 PM   #2
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

mine would include better luck!
Jack Smash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2001, 02:41 PM   #3
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 95 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Core Creations

The better TC3 is already out...it's in your latest edition of CAR ACTION! Actually it's a MRC STR4 PRO, but it takes all the good points of the TC3 and has corrected a lot of the downsides (strength of parts). The STR4 PRO will be a contender, guarenteed!
Core Creations is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2001, 03:43 PM   #4
Tech Apprentice

yeah! I read the article on the Academy/MRC STR4 PRO. Its sweet! I just cant find an online hobby retailer that sells it so I can see how much it costs.
I especially like the carbon fiber chassis
kenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2001, 04:01 PM   #5
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Civic91: what I like about that article was at the beggining when the say the original STR-4 had "unabashed resemblance to Associated's TC3" and that it has a "TC3-style shaft system".

First, didn't car action defend the TC3 when people said it was similar to Tenth Tech's shaft drive sedan? Now the shoe is on the other foot, but they don't seem to have a problem with saying that MRC's car is similar to the TC3! Double standard......uhhhhhh, yeah, I think so.

And now its a "TC3 style shaft drive". Thats right, Associated had the original shaft drive sedan! Never mind Tamiya or goodness forbid poor old Tenth Tech.

The only reason I mention this is because of the near angry responses Car Action has given to some of the letters writen to them, when people even suggest that Assciated copied anything. Now they themselves speak openly about how they think Associated is being copied???

Its this type of stuff that has cost CarAction is creditability with the average racer. The line between being fair, truthful and catering to the people who advertise in their magazine are too blurred.

For example. On the cover with the XXX-S, "the next world champ???" have they done that for any other sedan? Yeah, with the TC3! Who spends the most on ads in their magazine. I don't know, maybe Associated, and Losi?
Old 10-02-2001, 04:08 PM   #6
Regional Moderator

Civic91: you gonna make the leap from the Kawada to the MRC car?
Old 10-02-2001, 04:23 PM   #7
Tech Champion

It's possible. I always liked the effinciency of the TC3 in stock, (Acceleration was killer!) but never liked the parts quality. The Str4 has shielded bearings too, which offer much less friction. And contrary to popular belief my Kawada has shielded bearings and need only a good cleaning maybe twice a season. This car looks nice!
Old 10-02-2001, 04:30 PM   #8
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I think, if I remember correctly, Car Action did state that AE copied the Tenth Tech car, but the shaft drive system ONLY. The rest of the car is COMPLETELY different, down to the material of the gears in the gearbox. I don't think that article said that AE 'invented' the shaft drive, but merely put this super efficient drive system into a super competitive chassis.

MRC's system is very much like the TC3's. The Tenth Technology did have the drive system, as did the Tamiya, but both systems were very inefficient. Hey, everyone copies something from everyone else. Everyone uses parts of someone elses designs to make a better car, as MRC is trying to do, and as AE DID!

Correct me if I'm wrong about the TC3 article. I'm old, and it's been awhile....I may be wrong...
CompetitionX.com
R Sector / F1 Paint Labs
TPhalen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2001, 04:54 PM   #9
R/C Tech Founder
R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Darkside: Don't forget Trinity, the king of RCCA advertising
futureal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2001, 05:26 PM   #10
Regional Moderator

futureal: How could I forget Trinity! They are the kings of advertising! What do they get these days, like the first six pages of Car Action?!

TPhalen: I guess we just read two different car action magazines. From what I remember they acknowledged NO relation between the two other than they "both have shafts" They didn't say AE copied anything. That same drive train that you say was inefficient, did pretty good in the hands of Brian Kinwald when he used their 4wd off road Predator buggy to win a few races before the XX4 came out. So AE didn't improve all that much on it. It was already pretty good.

Your right, though. Their is so much cross over in the industry these days that its too hard to keep up with who copied who. Thats why I like the XXX-S and KX-One so much. Because it looks like both work well, and actually came up with some new ideas. But, I remember the original article about the TC3, and it certainly didn't start out the way they did for the MRC car! When the TC3 came out, Car Action wouldn't even mention it and the Tenth Tech car in the same article unless it was a letter from a reader.

And in those letters the Car Action editors were a little less than friendly when people said AE copied!

Thats what I'm talking about. How Car Action has handled the whole "who copied who thing". And yes there is a double standard there.

In fact in response to one letter a reader wrote(about the original testing of the MRC car)saying that MRC actually copied Tenth Tech and not AE, the editor said no one would want to copy the Tenth Tech car "that came and went with hardly anyone noticing" because they never won anything with the car, but AE has, so MRC was copying the AE car. Don't believe me, check the back issues, you'll find it.

All I'm saying is that Car Action seems to have a different attitude about copying now that they feel that AE is being copied.
Old 10-02-2001, 05:38 PM   #11
Tech Fanatic

MRC copied the Tamiya TB-01 by making it a hassle to change the spur and motor . . .

I'd be hesitant to buy an MRC until the proof has been on the track for awhile. Same with the XXX-S. Wait for kit quality to go up, revisions, etc.

Who was the first two-belter? Everyone else copied them.
coolrcdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2001, 07:02 PM   #12
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 69 (100%+)

well, there's only so much you can do with a shaft drive design. just look at all the 1/8 buggies out there. it's like their parts are almost interchangeable. i think the associated hit it right with the TC3's drivetrain layout. unless they figure out a way to make a dual shaft drive. or a mid motor shaft drive. or a triple shaft drive! oops, im getting carried away
marvi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2001, 07:22 PM   #13
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

Did anybody read the RcCAR magazine article! They said that the driveline was hugely overweight and if they could get that fixed the car might be competitve. Also the MRC comes with gear diffs.
Jack Smash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2001, 07:52 PM   #14
Tech Champion

Dude, you need to read everything before responding. Were talking about the new STR4 PRO! Not the original STR4. The new pro version is actually a much closer copy of the ALEX DESIGN driveshaft car at the 2000 Tokyo Hobby show than a pro version of the original STR4. Look back at the pictures...it's the same car! The diffs are ball type diffs, not gears and the drivetrain is superlight, just like the TC3. If I'm not mistaken, the CAR ACTION review said it " accelerated violently, lighting up all 4 tires!"
Old 10-02-2001, 08:16 PM   #15
Regional Moderator

marvi: dual shafts huh! You are getting ahead of yourself aren't you. You better patent those ideas. Who knows who might copy them! LOL!