Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Best high performance Lipo's currently out >

Best high performance Lipo's currently out

Best high performance Lipo's currently out

Old 11-17-2013, 02:01 PM
Tech Initiate

Default Best high performance Lipo's currently out

Hi Guys
Some help/advice would be very much appreciated.
I'm getting my car ready for the 2014 BRCA outdoor championships and I need some Lipo advice. The car spec is as below and it will run in the modified SuperTouring class.
TC6.1 WC base with RSD and EXotek mods (floating horizontally placed servo, floating Lipo set up. DCJs. Ceramic bearings. TRF aeration dampers with HPI and RSD springs)
LRP Works Flow esc
LRP X20 4.0T with 13mm team rotor, alloy vented end cap and ceramic bearings.
Sanwa servo
Ko Propo radio gear
Sorex BRCA control tyres
LW protoform Mazda 6 body with MR33 wing

I have been using some Revtech formula X Lipo's for testing and club races. But they are not (as yet) BRCA legal. Any advice what other top end Lipo's I should consider e.g. The orion 8000mah set, LRP, GM??

Thanks again
Tom
Old 11-17-2013, 02:47 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Thunderpower period !!!
Old 11-17-2013, 03:18 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Two things.

Lipo's are not the most important thing when you have a 4.0 in the car. Just be sure to get one that doesn't overheat and puff and you'll be fine. Any of the more popular 6-7000mah packs should be fine.

Also, dump the 13mm rotor and get the 12.0mm version. LRP motors have a huge low to mid range power band out of the box that you don't need to promote more power down low with the larger rotor in a 4.0t. The 12.0 will be easier to drive, have more top end on big tracks and run cooler.
Old 11-17-2013, 04:00 PM
Tech Addict

Thunderpower. End of.

I would take the advice of the previous poster about motor because he clearly knows what he is talking about. I used X20 5.5 boosted I can assure you there was no shortage of power.
Old 11-17-2013, 04:03 PM
Tech Initiate

Hi and thanks for the comments so far.
I don't imagine there is a massive amount of difference between the various makes and I agree it will be minimised with a already quick motor.

Regarding the rotor, I sent a day doing back to back tests the all of the avaliable rotors for the x20 and overall I preferred the torque curve on the 13 it wasn't as vital as you might think. Obviously you have to take esc set up and car set up inc gearing into account but all being equal I preferred the 13.

Thanks again
Tom
Old 11-17-2013, 04:46 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Brooksracing
Hi and thanks for the comments so far.
I don't imagine there is a massive amount of difference between the various makes and I agree it will be minimised with a already quick motor.

Regarding the rotor, I sent a day doing back to back tests the all of the avaliable rotors for the x20 and overall I preferred the torque curve on the 13 it wasn't as vital as you might think. Obviously you have to take esc set up and car set up inc gearing into account but all being equal I preferred the 13.

Thanks again
Tom
hi tom,i have run hpi plazma 6500 95c all year in 13.5 and they are still going strong,highly reccomended,but you may need a bit more mah in mod,ive gone off the ip lipos as the 4 shorty versions my son has used in blinky have all puffed up,i got him some 5300 turnigy nanos which seem very punchy
Old 11-18-2013, 04:41 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Brooksracing

Thanks again
Tom
Huh, interesting.

Did you use the sintered or works team rotor?

sintered

http://www.lrp.cc/en/products/electr...130mm/details/

works rotor

http://www.lrp.cc/en/products/produc...130mm/details/
Old 11-19-2013, 04:29 AM
Bar
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Been looking at the dualsky lipo's, anyone have any experience with these, or know if they are the same as some other batteries?
Old 11-19-2013, 05:54 AM
Tech Regular

SMC are the best lipo out there the new 80c daulsky are same as orca 5mm
Old 11-19-2013, 06:48 AM
Bar
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Craig W
SMC are the best lipo out there the new 80c daulsky are same as orca 5mm
The dualsky batteries use a 4mm connector unlike the orca which uses a 5mm connector though
Old 11-19-2013, 09:44 AM
Tech Initiate

Thanks guys I really appreciate the input. It's not an easy choice.
I think I have narrowed it down to Thunder Power, GM Vmax, or SMC.

I would really suggest people have a go with the 13mm rotor it doesn't give the response you might think. The alloy vented end cap on the X20 makes quite a difference too.

I have posted a link to some pics of my car on the TC6 thread if anyone wants to take a look. It's got quite a resemblance to the new TC6.2 as it uses Tamiya style hinge pin blocks and a floating horizontally mounted servo. I really like the change the dual bell crank steering made, I was initially concerned as the car seemed to have lost quite abit of steering lock overall but on the circuit it scrubs of way less speed and appears to steer more so win win!

Thanks again guys, now to start pricing up the Lipo's above and make the purchase! I will let you know how the my perform in comparison to the formula X packs I currently run.

Tom
Old 11-19-2013, 09:58 AM
Tech Champion

I run my thunderpower 2700mah/3300mah lipos against the 7000+mah lipos of my competitors, and I can hardly tell the difference down the straight... That's in 17.5t blinky.... In mod I run the Tp4200 40C lipos with my 3.5t Car and pull them down the straight easily too. I don't run boost though... So my conclusion is that all the batteries that are at or above the Tp4300-2spr65d level will not differ much in performance, stock or mod........ I am sure others will disagree, but that's my opinion: save your money !!!
Old 11-19-2013, 10:23 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by chasingthepack
hi tom,i have run hpi plazma 6500 95c all year in 13.5 and they are still going strong,highly reccomended,but you may need a bit more mah in mod,ive gone off the ip lipos as the 4 shorty versions my son has used in blinky have all puffed up,i got him some 5300 turnigy nanos which seem very punchy
Except Turnigy Lipos are not BRCA legal and the question included that he wants to run in the 2014 BRCA series
Old 11-19-2013, 12:12 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Barry_Hughes
Except Turnigy Lipos are not BRCA legal and the question included that he wants to run in the 2014 BRCA series
i wasnt aware of that,im sure they will be by the start of the next season?
Old 11-19-2013, 01:39 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by chasingthepack
i wasnt aware of that,im sure they will be by the start of the next season?
It is up to the manufacturer to submit batteries for approval. If this has not been done, they will not be legal.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.