Wiki Posts
Search

Driver Etiquette

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2013, 08:42 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Phoenix82
You can either talk to them and teach them how racing works.Solution Or just plain run around or over them.. The problem.

JMO

Nick K
Old 11-17-2013, 08:49 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by kewdawg
Lol. I was lucky enough to run in my first BIG race this past year. And thats the way it rolls there. 3 corners and you if you dont move.. you get moved... But at the end of the day.. We all have to remember. We are PLAYING with TOY cars..

Nick K
Old 11-17-2013, 09:05 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Phoenix82
But at the end of the day.. We all have to remember. We are PLAYING with TOY cars..

Nick K
This is what keeps fueling / justifying the negative attitudes in our hobby / sport. Its also what's keeping it from becoming mainstream and being nationally televised as it should be. I believe this is a way for some to show that they don't take it seriously. There's nothing wrong with not taking it seriously. Just say THAT(I don't take it seriously) instead of lessening the value of what we do, by calling them toy cars. If, we don't see it as a worthwhile venue for entertainment, on every level, then no one else will. I think we could be racing on TV on a regular basis. This will only happen when we're all serious enough.
Old 11-17-2013, 09:11 PM
Tech Elite

This brings up another point: There needs to be racing penalties at the weekly club level. I think a lot of the "rough" driving would all but disappear. No one wants to be penalized by incurring a "drive thru" or "wait and go" penalty. It would completely change the look and attitude of racing, at every level.
Old 11-17-2013, 09:14 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

But who wants to see a 30 year or even a 50 year old throw a hissy fit because he got bumped in the first corner in the A main and went from P1 to P4.. I dont.. Dont get me wrong. I love to see this hobby/sport that I dearly LOVE go mainstream. I only see a select few of it that can make a living doing it.. Ty, Paul, Ronald ect... but at the core of it..99 percent of us do it because we love racing..

Nick K
Old 11-17-2013, 09:46 PM
Tech Elite

No one wants to see people throwing fits on the driver's stand. Its okay to get upset - we're human beings and these things happen. We need to be more mature about it and not get out of control. I hate to see racers throwing their cars and equipment when they have a bad run. I think it looks really bad. Yes, we have to be mindful of what others had to go thru to get to P1. Some racers put in a lot of hours into being a very good driver. We just need to display more self-control. There are more then just racers that come to the tracks. There are spectators that come to watch. They bring opportunities to spark a real interest in becoming new racers. They see how we act, the money we invest and the time we spend doing this thing. The money can be a big turn off and I can see why, but the bad, immature attitudes are damaging and something we can do without. Racers tend to think clean racing only applies to big events and bad or rough driving is ok, at the local club level. It really isn't.
Old 11-18-2013, 09:17 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Don't forget guys, there is RCtech site etiquette just like there is track etiquette. Keep it civil.
Old 11-18-2013, 02:15 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by muahdib4
I'm saying there are no beginners classes , veterans are sandbagging stock and there is no way to practice (around here at least) unless you own your own private indoor track.
I'll reply to the sections that are actually somewhat worthy of one.

VTA is the epitome of a beginners class. [end of discussion]

I'm not going to get into details about my personal progression in this game, but suffice to say that I move for faster cars and I'm a crap ton faster than I was 3 years ago when I started. I'm sorry, but your argument is completely unfounded among the masses of those who actually do put in the time and effort to get better and rely on themselves to do it. I choose that quote for my signature for good reason... because it's true.
Old 11-18-2013, 03:52 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by kewdawg
I would have to agree, that, track etiquette has been lacking in the on-road scene (particularly, Electric TC). You do have a lot of fast drivers who feel that they own the track, shouldn't have to wait for slower drivers, and will punt or plow thru them to pass. This isn't only happening in those faster driver heats, but within the slightly slower (a.k.a. B-main) heats, too. Just because you can run some fast laps, it doesn't mean you can do what you want to the other cars on the track. I also agree that communication is absolutely necessary on the driver's stand. Let someone know they are holding you up in qualifying or in the mains, when you've already lapped them. Ask them to let you pass. sometimes the other driver is focused on their race or run and aren't paying attention to the cars around them. Yes, we should all be aware of what's happening around us, on the track, but that's not always the case. Displaying patience goes a long way. Give another driver a couple of corners to move over for you. Inform him, that, you're there and allow for him to alter his driving line. Nine times out ten, the slower car will move over for you.

NOTE:It helps to have a race director who is following the action closely and calls out the traffic issues.

I always look to make clean passes on people. In fact, I love making clean passes on people. Its a display of great driving skills. I take pride in knowing, that, I outdrove the next guy. If, I take someone out, I stop - wait for them to regain position and then continue to race. This type of attitude isn't more prevalent because you have a lot racers who want to win at any and all cost and drive with an " I don't give a f&ck" attitude. This type of racing is only enjoyable to the person driving that way. Other racers get taken out, cars get broken or destroyed (depending on the severity of the take out) and people get upset. People are quick to be dismissive about these situations, by saying; "they're only toy cars". Well, truth be told, they're NOT toy cars. They're full blown racing machines, that, we sacrifice a lot of money, time and effort learning how to build, maintain and drive at a competitive level. So, who am I to think its ok to plow thru your car because I'm faster than you or want to get by you? Look, we all want to do well when

we race. There just needs be a level of mutual respect out there to keep people enjoying racing and not deciding to do something else. I don't know about anyone else, but I can't race by myself.
Well said
Old 11-18-2013, 04:49 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

If someone is faster than you, just go wide on a corner, and let them pass. So what if you lose 0.3 seconds on that lap? Better than getting plowed, possibly crashing both cars, losing 5+ sec, and a bunch of pissed off grown men on the driver stand . It is selfish to try and fight the line against someone better. It earns you respect on/off the track too. imo, racing is not practice time, just like how you don't study during an exam.
Old 11-18-2013, 05:02 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by inpuressa
If someone is faster than you, just go wide on a corner, and let them pass. So what if you lose 0.3 seconds on that lap? Better than getting plowed, possibly crashing both cars, losing 5+ sec, and a bunch of pissed off grown men on the driver stand . It is selfish to try and fight the line against someone better. It earns you respect on/off the track too. imo, racing is not practice time, just like how you don't study during an exam.
Old 11-19-2013, 05:42 AM
Tech Apprentice

Noob here, just curious though, i never been to a race before so i would like to ask u guys regarding the overtaking part in racing.

It seems to me everyone is saying if you are slow, give way to the car behind u. I do see the point if the slow guy is a backmarker(lapped car), but if u say u have to give way just because your car is slower than the car behind u(let say u are 3rd and the 4th car are faster) during races is quite unfair dont u think?

Being a fan of f1 races I still remember the clash between two giants, schumacer and hakkinen. It is known that merc car were faster than ferrari during that time, and schumacer usually had to block hakkinen when fighting one on one. To me this is acceptable since that is what racing is about, u need to have the skill to overtake as well as the skill to avoid collision at the same time. If u say just because he is faster u need to give way then u guys might as well race drag events where theres no way the two cars effect each other.

Its just my 2 cents
Old 11-19-2013, 05:55 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

U r correct its a race if u r racing for position hold Ur line and he will have to pass u . unless u feelhero's pressure us getting u out of control (usually meaning u/I would blow a corner anyways )then just let him by and u wait for him to make a mistake .
I am a mid pack racer and looking toward the front . so I race for position only (unless one of our local heros want to push us from behind instead of lapping to incourage us to push our self to be faster
Old 11-19-2013, 06:03 AM
Regional Moderator

No, you don't pull over if it is for position in a race. If you are getting lapped, then yes (just like a blue flag in F1). Or, since most qualifying is using IFMAR rules (each on your own clock), then let the faster car by. If you do it right, it will only cost you one to two tenths for that lap, nobody crashes, and everyone is happy.
Old 11-19-2013, 06:06 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Noobi_Kenubi
Noob here, just curious though, i never been to a race before so i would like to ask u guys regarding the overtaking part in racing.

It seems to me everyone is saying if you are slow, give way to the car behind u. I do see the point if the slow guy is a backmarker(lapped car), but if u say u have to give way just because your car is slower than the car behind u(let say u are 3rd and the 4th car are faster) during races is quite unfair dont u think?

Being a fan of f1 races I still remember the clash between two giants, schumacer and hakkinen. It is known that merc car were faster than ferrari during that time, and schumacer usually had to block hakkinen when fighting one on one. To me this is acceptable since that is what racing is about, u need to have the skill to overtake as well as the skill to avoid collision at the same time. If u say just because he is faster u need to give way then u guys might as well race drag events where theres no way the two cars effect each other.

Its just my 2 cents
It's mainly during qualifying that people are referring to. If the car behind you has caught up to you, they are already ahead of you on the clock, so you let them by. They are ahead of you before their car is past yours because everyone is on their own clock.

During the mains, if you are legitimately battling for position, holding your line is perfectly fine, but if the guy behind manages to get the inside line on you, it's in your best interest to give way a bit. Any contact will likely do you more harm than the guy on the inside. Let them have the pass and try to stay on them, waiting for a mistake. If you can keep the pressure on, they will probably bobble.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.