R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 11-22-2013, 05:27 PM   #76
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Delgado View Post
Speaking from many, many years of racing and as usually one of the faster guys, here's my advice for the slower guys getting passed in a qualy or lapped in a main:

1. Don't make any sudden moves or changes of direction-keep your racing line consistent.

2. When a faster car pulls up behind you to lap you in a main, or pass you in an IFMAR style qualifier, give him a little room on the inside on the next corner and he should get by cleanly.

3. After that faster guy gets by you, he might lose a little momentum approaching the next corner as he might not have been on the ideal racing line trying to get by you. This is where most newbies or slower guys mess up-don't "Kamikaze" him in the next corner trying to dive inside of him to pass him back to try to show him you are fast too. Just let him go, he'll probably be out of sight in a corner or two.
#1 is really the trick, isn't it? Some drivers have trouble doing that with a clear track.

#2 is particularly tricky on grooved-up carpet tracks.

#3 I've done that far too many times. Not Kamikaze attempt to re-pass, so much as just pulling back in behind them a bit too soon and mis-judging their corner exit speed.

I'd also add:

4. If you tangle with someone, whether you made a mistake and took them out, or you think they were too impatient and didn't give you a chance to make an opening for them, have a chat with them about it. Try to find out if what you think happened matched what they thought happened, and have a constructive conversation to see what could have been done to prevent it.

We've got someone at our track who's quickly becoming "that guy", and the only time people get really upset with him is when he doesn't even apologize afterwords.

Usually this is how it goes down:
- The slower driver is super focused, and doesn't see the faster person coming up, and how fast they're coming up, until they're right there.
- Before they've processed everything and have a chance to make an opening, the slower driver blows an apex by a mile, which looks to the faster person like they're getting let by.
- Then the slower driver comes back onto the line and calamity ensues.

As a fast guy, if someone ruins your quali / race, take a deep breath, and talk to them about it. Understand that it was almost surely an accident. Take accountability for being impatient if you were. Maybe find out if they're having setup issues that you can help them with.

And remember, in the long run, "that guy" will take out everyone about the same amount. But if you're the guy who's friendly, understanding, and helpful, they might just try that much harder to be clean when it's you going past.

I've lost my temper and reamed out a noob on the stand mid race once, and it's a memory that's very embarassing, and I'd take it back if I could. It wasn't the fact that he had about a 50% rate of punting me whenever I tried to get around him on track (this this is a person I'd have to lap 3-4 times per run) that got to me. It was that every time I tried to talk to him about it, I got back an "It's not my problem, you have to get around me cleanly" attitude, from someone who spent more time zig-zagging across the racing line than driving along it. That was rock bottom for me, and I've since learned to just take a deep breath, say "that's racing", and ask what I can do to help.

But if you're that guy who can't even get yourself around the track cleanly, you cannot expect even the most skilled drivers to pass you cleanly every time. Sometimes you just have to park the car way off line and wait for everyone to go past. I struggled like that when I started, and that's exactly what I had to do to make sure I didn't ruin others' races.

-Mike
grippgoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 06:23 PM   #77
Suspended

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Smile

You really think it's fun for the newbie to be lapped over and over ???? There is a point where he won't Care anymore if all he is doing is getting out of people's way... That's why you need a reshuffle of the heats...
The expert driver needs to be aware of that point when newbies or slower racers seem to have enough, and stay clear by passing them & clearing the next corner... That's something I've witnessed time and time over, and I've identified all the potential newbies to be careful with until the reshuffle... Don't get mad, it's the truth....
I've seen many pros request the director to put them in heats with no newbies or slow inexperienced racers to better their laptimes and avoid derbies...
Last but not least, some racers don't like each other sometimes and do wreck others in consequence on purpose.... It is reality, and not fantasy !!!
bertrandsv87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 06:36 PM   #78
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bertrandsv87 View Post
You really think it's fun for the newbie to be lapped over and over ???? There is a point where he won't Care anymore if all he is doing is getting out of people's way... That's why you need a reshuffle of the heats...
The expert driver needs to be aware of that point when newbies or slower racers seem to have enough, and stay clear by passing them & clearing the next corner... That's something I've witnessed time and time over, and I've identified all the potential newbies to be careful with until the reshuffle... Don't get mad, it's the truth....
I've seen many pros request the director to put them in heats with no newbies or slow inexperienced racers to better their laptimes and avoid derbies...
Last but not least, some racers don't like each other sometimes and do wreck others in consequence on purpose.... It is reality, and not fantasy !!!
I am puzzled by your response because I am assuming we are all mature adults here. That being said, I have to ask you: how old are you? If you are less than 18 years old you can just say you are a minor.
Ed Delgado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 07:37 PM   #79
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to Lessen

Quote:
Originally Posted by grippgoat View Post
#1 is really the trick, isn't it? Some drivers have trouble doing that with a clear track.

#2 is particularly tricky on grooved-up carpet tracks.

#3 I've done that far too many times. Not Kamikaze attempt to re-pass, so much as just pulling back in behind them a bit too soon and mis-judging their corner exit speed.

I'd also add:

4. If you tangle with someone, whether you made a mistake and took them out, or you think they were too impatient and didn't give you a chance to make an opening for them, have a chat with them about it. Try to find out if what you think happened matched what they thought happened, and have a constructive conversation to see what could have been done to prevent it.

We've got someone at our track who's quickly becoming "that guy", and the only time people get really upset with him is when he doesn't even apologize afterwords.

Usually this is how it goes down:
- The slower driver is super focused, and doesn't see the faster person coming up, and how fast they're coming up, until they're right there.
- Before they've processed everything and have a chance to make an opening, the slower driver blows an apex by a mile, which looks to the faster person like they're getting let by.
- Then the slower driver comes back onto the line and calamity ensues.

As a fast guy, if someone ruins your quali / race, take a deep breath, and talk to them about it. Understand that it was almost surely an accident. Take accountability for being impatient if you were. Maybe find out if they're having setup issues that you can help them with.

And remember, in the long run, "that guy" will take out everyone about the same amount. But if you're the guy who's friendly, understanding, and helpful, they might just try that much harder to be clean when it's you going past.

I've lost my temper and reamed out a noob on the stand mid race once, and it's a memory that's very embarassing, and I'd take it back if I could. It wasn't the fact that he had about a 50% rate of punting me whenever I tried to get around him on track (this this is a person I'd have to lap 3-4 times per run) that got to me. It was that every time I tried to talk to him about it, I got back an "It's not my problem, you have to get around me cleanly" attitude, from someone who spent more time zig-zagging across the racing line than driving along it. That was rock bottom for me, and I've since learned to just take a deep breath, say "that's racing", and ask what I can do to help.

But if you're that guy who can't even get yourself around the track cleanly, you cannot expect even the most skilled drivers to pass you cleanly every time. Sometimes you just have to park the car way off line and wait for everyone to go past. I struggled like that when I started, and that's exactly what I had to do to make sure I didn't ruin others' races.

-Mike
Best post in this thread.
Old 11-22-2013, 08:54 PM   #80
Suspended

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Smile

No need to get testy here guys... I've seen grown men 50+ block others that were on a TQ run. Maybe it's a NY thing , but it happens more often than we think.... Some even get mad here on Rctech, and carry their grief to the track , wrecking whoever was not nice to them here, but we're all men... Yeah right !!! Give me a break ! The evidence so far is that there are lots of folks taking their stress in life to the track, cursing, swearing, fighting, worst than five year old kids... Some even blame their cars, and go on hissy fits regularly..... Come on...
By the way, I'll tell you my age when you make tech Elite !!! LoL....
bertrandsv87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 09:04 PM   #81
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Most people have a good idea what bad etiquette is and most people know what the rule of thumb is on being a good sport. The problem lies when it's time to apply some of that good sportsmanship knowing it will cost the racers a position, win, etc, etc.....
Old 11-23-2013, 02:12 AM   #82
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Default Exactly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lessen View Post
Best post in this thread.
+1