R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 11-19-2013, 07:10 AM   #61
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlfx car audio View Post
U r correct its a race if u r racing for position hold Ur line and he will have to pass u . unless u feelhero's pressure us getting u out of control (usually meaning u/I would blow a corner anyways )then just let him by and u wait for him to make a mistake .
I am a mid pack racer and looking toward the front . so I race for position only (unless one of our local heros want to push us from behind instead of lapping to incourage us to push our self to be faster
Ahhh now I see ur point, so its not illegal or anything, just a "between racers" kinda stuff.
Noobi_Kenubi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 07:16 AM   #62
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by locked View Post
It's mainly during qualifying that people are referring to. If the car behind you has caught up to you, they are already ahead of you on the clock, so you let them by. They are ahead of you before their car is past yours because everyone is on their own clock.

During the mains, if you are legitimately battling for position, holding your line is perfectly fine, but if the guy behind manages to get the inside line on you, it's in your best interest to give way a bit. Any contact will likely do you more harm than the guy on the inside. Let them have the pass and try to stay on them, waiting for a mistake. If you can keep the pressure on, they will probably bobble.

Owh i see, then there is no problem if its regarding qualifying rounds.Now I get what u guys been saying, if its related to qualifying then its quite obvious to let the faster car go through.
If i were in that situation i would try my best to signal the faster driver when im going wide. Try to keep constant communication between drivers is the key then.
Noobi_Kenubi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 07:18 AM   #63
Tech Master

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noobi_Kenubi View Post
Noob here, just curious though, i never been to a race before so i would like to ask u guys regarding the overtaking part in racing.

It seems to me everyone is saying if you are slow, give way to the car behind u. I do see the point if the slow guy is a backmarker(lapped car), but if u say u have to give way just because your car is slower than the car behind u(let say u are 3rd and the 4th car are faster) during races is quite unfair dont u think?

Being a fan of f1 races I still remember the clash between two giants, schumacer and hakkinen. It is known that merc car were faster than ferrari during that time, and schumacer usually had to block hakkinen when fighting one on one. To me this is acceptable since that is what racing is about, u need to have the skill to overtake as well as the skill to avoid collision at the same time. If u say just because he is faster u need to give way then u guys might as well race drag events where theres no way the two cars effect each other.

Its just my 2 cents
If you're racing for position then hold your line and make the guy behind you earn the pass. If you're lapped traffic then let the faster guy through. Most guys will appreciate a slower guy letting them by.

**** "Luxury" ****
EricW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 08:38 AM   #64
Tech Master

Send a message via ICQ to JiuHaWong

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricW View Post
If you're racing for position then hold your line and make the guy behind you earn the pass. If you're lapped traffic then let the faster guy through. Most guys will appreciate a slower guy letting them by.
Old 11-19-2013, 08:43 AM   #65
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix82 View Post
Lol. I was lucky enough to run in my first BIG race this past year. And thats the way it rolls there. 3 corners and you if you dont move.. you get moved... But at the end of the day.. We all have to remember. We are PLAYING with TOY cars..

Nick K
This has got to be the worst justification I have ever heard. I have even heard it from local racers too.

Sorry, my car is not a Toy car. It is a hobby and I tend to get a little too competitive myself...but is it definitely not a toy car when I have 1000's invested in it.

Second thought...I don't trust Adams, they make up everything!

"Leave it to Steever", custom paint masks, decals, and paint.
Meradin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 09:09 AM   #66
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bertrandsv87 View Post
I am slower than the fast guys, but when I practice, they know to wait until I come Off, and when I come back to practice I wait until they're done... I get my practice, and so do they !!! They got tired of breaking when they hit my heavier cheap Car...lol... So we sort of agreed to practice that way until I get better...Too many newbies get intimidated by the pros, and don't communicate with them...
x2. I'm only doing practice as I know my skills, car, and car setup are not like the other cars in practice. My Sprint2Sport is about twice as heavy as the pancars/WGT/F1 cars, I actually feel bad when they rear-end me. The HPI is like a tank comparatively (slow, tough). I do like the idea presented to announce you'll go wide to let the faster car through.

On a sidenote: a serious racer asked me if my car was an x-ray/etc, I told him it was a brushed HPI, he said "Oh, vintage". Really? it's a 2013 car. but i get it, all the on-road cars there are frp/carbon w/brushless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix82 View Post
But at the end of the day.. We all have to remember. We are PLAYING with TOY cars..
It's funny when you want to make fun of your own car, kinda rude otherwise.
firefoxussr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 10:16 AM   #67
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lessen View Post

VTA is the epitome of a beginners class. [end of discussion]
Yes and no. The nature if the class is what brought me back to R/C after a long break, running Touring cars back in the day got real expensive and it pushed me out of the hobby. My wallet simply wasn't deep enough to be competitive. So veterans like the class because once we've bought in, we're all about the same. New driver's like it for the same reasons.

As far as driver etiquette, it's always the responsibility of the faster/better driver to make a clean pass, whether it's qualifying or not. The new guys are out there trying best they can, we have all been new before and had to learn somehow, and still the faster guys got around us.

As far as punting people and putting them into the wall cuz they wont get out of the way, that's never cool. Race directors should pull people for it. No excuse to drive like that. Ever.
Toasty359 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 10:27 AM   #68
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by locked View Post
It's mainly during qualifying that people are referring to. If the car behind you has caught up to you, they are already ahead of you on the clock, so you let them by. They are ahead of you before their car is past yours because everyone is on their own clock.

During the mains, if you are legitimately battling for position, holding your line is perfectly fine, but if the guy behind manages to get the inside line on you, it's in your best interest to give way a bit. Any contact will likely do you more harm than the guy on the inside. Let them have the pass and try to stay on them, waiting for a mistake. If you can keep the pressure on, they will probably bobble.
+1
Old 11-19-2013, 10:34 AM   #69
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toasty359 View Post
As far as punting people and putting them into the wall cuz they wont get out of the way, that's never cool. Race directors should pull people for it. No excuse to drive like that. Ever.
Yes, it's not cool. But it will happen if that slower car is holding up 1,2,3. The race director needs to tell that car to move out of the way to prevent it from happening. It will also prevent that driver from becoming "that guy" at the track.
Old 11-19-2013, 10:55 AM   #70
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

This isn't complicated. If a newer driver isn't comfortable being on the track with fast guys then just wait a couple of minutes until they pull off and then jump in. Probably a very short wait. I see fast guys holding off before jumping in all the time. I've yet to hear one whining that they need their own track time. When racing, if you aren't fighting for position, let the faster guys through. This doesn't mean pull off the track, just give some room and they will sneak through. A good race director will announce when the fast guys are coming up and ask traffic to allow the leaders through. it shouldn't come to the leaders having to plow through traffic. We all started somewhere. I'm still not fast and made a zillion bonehead moves when I started, spent a fair amount of time in the pits apologizing for juking when I should have been jiving, and have yet to find anyone that gave me a hard time. On road is tough, there is no guarantee of success but the hobby can be very rewarding to those who watch, listen, and work rather than pointing fingers the second things get difficult.
Chaz955i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 01:35 PM   #71
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default Keep it smooth and consistent

Speaking from many, many years of racing and as usually one of the faster guys, here's my advice for the slower guys getting passed in a qualy or lapped in a main:

1. Don't make any sudden moves or changes of direction-keep your racing line consistent.

2. When a faster car pulls up behind you to lap you in a main, or pass you in an IFMAR style qualifier, give him a little room on the inside on the next corner and he should get by cleanly.

3. After that faster guy gets by you, he might lose a little momentum approaching the next corner as he might not have been on the ideal racing line trying to get by you. This is where most newbies or slower guys mess up-don't "Kamikaze" him in the next corner trying to dive inside of him to pass him back to try to show him you are fast too. Just let him go, he'll probably be out of sight in a corner or two.
Ed Delgado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 02:11 PM   #72
Suspended

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Also, the expert driver should sense whether the newbie he just passed will kamikazee him in the next corner, and take action fast, either go faster or slow down..... Remember, the newbie has nothing to lose.....
bertrandsv87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 03:39 PM   #73
Tech Addict

Cool

Quote:
Also, the expert driver should sense whether the newbie he just passed will kamikazee him in the next corner, and take action fast, either go faster or slow down..... Remember, the newbie has nothing to lose.....
That's just a ridiculously silly thing to write. It sounds like you've tried pulling off a few "Banzai" passes in your racing days.

There is only so much a driver can do to avoid being taken out from behind as he enters a corner. Sometimes you can avoid it, sometimes not. The problem with this scenario is that the faster driver got by the slower one in a sportsmanlike fashion without contact. The Kamikaze in trying to pull off a desperate pass and possibly causing contact between the two (which can add up to a lot of $$$ real quick) and ruining both their races is acting in a very unsportsmanlike way. He, the slower driver, should not be surprised then if the same driver punts him off the track at the next corner or the next time he is lapped.
Ed Delgado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 04:47 PM   #74
Tech Elite

Quote:
No, not quite.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Delgado View Post
That's just a ridiculously silly thing to write. It sounds like you've tried pulling off a few "Banzai" passes in your racing days.
Well, what can extrapolate from bertrandsv87's post is to be mindful of the slower driver, once you pass. That's really a given because of what racing has taught us, but the point is not having to worry about the car you just passed going into the next corner. Smh.

Trinity / Epic / Revtech / VBC Racing USA / Mugen Seiki / Hot Race Tyres / SkyRocket Racing / SUPAFAST RC
kewdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 04:49 PM   #75
Tech Addict

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Quote:
..... Remember, the newbie has nothing to lose.....
Dude, seriously?!? Why are you trying to label new drivers as people who don't care about what happens to their, and the other racer's, cars on the track? I remember being new, and the last thing I wanted to do is risk any contact with another car. Every new racer I've been around has expressed how sorry they are for just being off pace, "in the way" as most put it. You seem to want to make it out like they are coming to the track just to mess everyone up, when all they want to do is learn.

TLR22 / Tekin RS / D4SS 6.5 / Futaba 9551 / ORCA 6000 /SCMOD,
F14 carpet Oval Chassis too!
alloyslash is offline   Reply With Quote