R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 07-06-2005, 08:10 PM   #1
Tech Master

A couple of quick (unrelated) questions for the U.S people.....

The main one is, when does your Independence holiday period end?

I'm expecting/hoping to get replies to messages I left on hobby shop answer phones/email but then realised it was July 4th your time doh.

And secondly here in NZ tire additives are not allowed in almost all races, how would it change your racing if sauces were a no-no, would you have to drastically alter your tire choices?

See I told you they were unrelated.
Mabuchi540 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2005, 08:30 PM   #2
Tech Elite

The 4th is a one day thing. Since it falls on a Monday this year, many take the opportunity to lengthen their weekend. Saucing; there are a lot of tracks that ban the stuff for varying reasons, but it really depends on the track and the tires. If Takeoffs work, they usually don't need much in the way of saucing anyway, Sorex's usually need lots of saucing, but there are things you can do. Depending on what's legal and what's not, you can do a number of tricks. Some guys Simple Green their tires and use tire warmers, others use stuff like WD40 or even sun tan lotion (that's right), to get the traction up. The point is that, like a spec tire race, everyone is dealing with the same issue, so you have to find traction in other ways.
Old 07-06-2005, 08:52 PM   #3
Tech Master

Understood. But I should really have said tire additives of ANY kind and it applies even to foam tires in 1/12th. I think there is an exception at some races if it's indoor on carpet but can't say for sure.
Old 07-06-2005, 10:38 PM   #4
Tech Adept

My mentor with my pan car, likes Simple Green diluted down with water about 50%.

I am still in the learning stages with the "frog hair" details of pan car set up. Once thing I have experience with tire sauce on Jaco Purple Foams. Using Paragon for the races work well. Me the dummy, I sometimes forget to clean the tires (usually) in the second heat and the tires have picked and retained dirt from the track and well there goes the back end into the fence, thats when I remembered, then... Alan comes out and gives me the squinty eye, reminding me to clean the tires and lay off that sauce. So I clean the tires with Simple Green as he suggests. The car handles good in the "B Main" and occasionally I get the Bump Up to the A, with clean tires and no paragon.

I have noticed that the go fasters at our local track do not use tire sauce, just clean them with Simple Green, (Alan gets around he helps everybody).

Its just a call that the driver has to make...
Hick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2005, 10:53 PM   #5
Tech Elite

Is this asphalt or rubber racing? I don't even clean my tires for asphalt.
ChadCapece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2005, 10:55 PM   #6
Tech Master

Default My bad.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pro4Capece
Is this asphalt or rubber racing? I don't even clean my tires for asphalt.
Asphalt mainly although I'll make the assumption some of the outdoor tracks here are setup on concrete as well.
Old 07-07-2005, 12:08 AM   #7
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mabuchi540
Asphalt mainly although I'll make the assumption some of the outdoor tracks here are setup on concrete as well.
So they don't even allow you to CLEAN your tires after a run? That's all that Simple Green does(& there are a few others that work similarly), it doesn't ADD anything to the tire, it simply cleans it without drying it out, which is the problem if you clean them with something like motor spray. That being said, if no chemicals are allowed whatsoever, then I guess I'd see about further softening my car's suspension setup(including trying to work on my car's roll center as much as possible), & if neccessary, using softer tire compounds(even though they would tend to wear out much faster).....

Go Pokes!!!
Grizzbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2005, 12:15 AM   #8
Tech Master

Default Well from what I understand.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzbob
So they don't even allow you to CLEAN your tires after a run? That's all that Simple Green does(& there are a few others that work similarly), it doesn't ADD anything to the tire, it simply cleans it without drying it out, which is the problem if you clean them with something like motor spray. That being said, if no chemicals are allowed whatsoever, then I guess I'd see about further softening my car's suspension setup(including trying to work on my car's roll center as much as possible), & if neccessary, using softer tire compounds(even though they would tend to wear out much faster).....
nothing on the tires that is left on them for the race so I guess cleaning them wouldn't be a problem.
Old 07-07-2005, 12:19 AM   #9
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mabuchi540
nothing on the tires that is left on them for the race so I guess cleaning them wouldn't be a problem.
The actual wording from the rule book is.....

"The use of traction additives is only allowed if the club hosting the meeting wishes to allow it."

That said I've yet to hear of a club that allows it . So yes cleaning with Simple Green doesn't count.
Old 07-07-2005, 01:06 AM   #10
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to burbs Send a message via Yahoo to burbs

fyi.. sun tan lotion works very well on foam tires for asphalt racing.. and it is not considered a tire sauce... ohh and it isnt toxic..
burbs is offline   Reply With Quote