R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 11-13-2013, 11:24 AM   #1
Tech Apprentice

Default A little help on setting up a TA TC3

Folks I was wondering i could appeal to you for some insight? I bought the car in 2004 and am just now getting back to it. I need a new hi speed servo, radio, ecu, battery, and motor.

I would like to get a brushless system. I'd like it to be the fastest I can legally use in most indoor races (carpeted). I looked at Novak's line and I have no idea which system would work well. I'd like to use lipo batteries, and will need a charger as well.

One other question I have is, how do I know what bodies will fit on it? I'd like to use a Tamiya Audi R8 body on it, but I'm not sure it's a fit. (They are both 1/10)

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXBUUS&P=7

Thanks in advance for any help. If you feel the need to say, you should have googled it, etc., please let me know. I'm hoping someone will just point me in the right direction.
Committed88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 02:46 PM   #2
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

Check what classes your local track runs. This will determine what motor speed control and body you can run. As for a servo in the tc3 a low profile see o such as spektrum s6070 would be good because space is limited to mount up electronics. Getting back to classes if you wAnt to run the r8 audi body i'm sure it'll fit but then you would be running in usgt class if this run at your track which requires a blinky or non timing esc and a 21.5 sensored brushless motor. For this combo i think the hobbywing justock es. Is great paired with either a trinity revtech or reedy mach 2 motor will be very fast for this class. However if your track only runs stock touring car then the justock will be fine again but you need a 17.5 turn motor and a touring car specific body either a protoform ltcr or mazdaspeed6 seem to be the most popular altho there are others. Then of course if usvta is big at your track again a justock will do fine but you need to run a 25.5 turn motor only from novak and the body must be from the approved list of 60's 70's muscle/pony cars. Hope this helps a bit
Justin33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 02:54 PM   #3
Tech Fanatic

As for a radio something 2.4 ghz is the new standard i would stay away from spektrum models unless its the top of the line dx3r the airtronics mt4 is a great midrange model if our on a budget. Futaba's midrange stuff is great too. Or you can go nuts and get a airtronics m12 which is probably more then most need i would try to find a used m11x on the classifieds or an m11 with a spektrum module again i your on a budget. As for batteries again depends on class usvta has a hardcase 5000mah 2cell limit on batteries where as touring stock or mod or usgt has no limits on battery capacity but they do need to be 2cell hardcase so anything tou want i think i've seen some up into the 7200mah range i like to stay around 5000-6200mah also keep your c rating above 40c anything higher is a bonus again i like to stay above 50c but 65-70c even 90c are available if you have the cash my current batteries are 6000mah 65c been working great. Hope this helps aswell
Old 11-13-2013, 02:58 PM   #4
Tech Fanatic

Then of course there is always mod touring car racing but this is a whole other beast with motors as low as 3.5 Turns you need a much more powerful speed control something like an lrp flow team or a tekin rs pro or rsx or a hobbywing xerun v3.1 120amp. Batteries will be the same and bodies are the same as touring stock. However i wouldn't recomend this class for the tc3 chassis i dont think it will be able to handle this much power and wouldn't be up to the task a newer chassis would most likely be needed. The tc3 is great bu is almost 15year old design and does have its limits
Old 11-13-2013, 03:20 PM   #5
Tech Apprentice

Thanks Justin33! That was super helpful. The problem is I'd love to do carpet racing, but my local area is like the boonies. Nothing for at least 5-8 hours. So I'll probably just get the fastest brushless I can get, and just get use to driving the thing.

It is weird that for stock racing you HAVE to use certain bodies. I wouldn't think that matter too much.

Thanks again!
Committed88 is offline   Reply With Quote