R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 07-06-2005, 10:31 PM   #31
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mabuchi540
I was out of RC for 12 years but I remember those days too when mod would run 1700mah packs (showing my age) and I don't understand why 5 min should be any problem for a pro-stock either?
Just a guess... maybe the motor (esp stock motor) these days are VERY different to how the motors were designed 12 years ago?
Today's 27 stock motor are designed for 3300 batteries, run time is never an issue (when using 3300 batteries) so efficiency is probably NOT something they concern the most when designing the motor>

Anyway a few people have already tried and almost everyone can only get the car go for 3-4 mins before it dumps, so to make it last 5 mins, a lot has to be done. But then the 27T stock motor's timing is fixed and there is only so much we can do to improve the efficiency/run time probably softer spring may help or maybe 1-2 other tricks but all of these will DECREASE the speed...

so yes it maybe cheaper to switch to prostock but why do we want to move from stock (which is silver can for those who is not from NZ) to prostock (27T stock) if we have to limit the motor and result in speed similar to/same as silver can? the maintenance cost of racing in prostock class is much higher than stock (silver can). Speed is(was) probably the biggest/only reason why people want to move from stock -> prostock.... so if there is almost no speed difference between these two class because we have to "drive slowly", i personally don't know why someone would still want to race in prostock class.

i was going to race in prostock next year but it looks like i may have to stay in stock next year
yellow15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2005, 10:46 PM   #32
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

if you dis-like it so much - get your club to put forward a letter to NZRCA - i believe things can be changed at other times other than the agm - they are called special general meetings - but be careful what you ask for - you are never going to please everyone. I will not be attending any special meetings to change the rule back - espcially when those who couldnt be bothered going to the meeting in the first place are now the ones wanting to speak up and have it left as is. Get on to this fast and submit something to NZRCA - find out how many clubs have to support it first and go for it - what have you got to lose - or like the agm - is it to much time for you to be bothered??
my4ari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2005, 03:20 AM   #33
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

It would appear that no one actually put a Pro-Stock motor in their car and ran it with 1500's until the rule changed.

People say to just accept it, but no one used their brains on this one.
Greg M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2005, 05:27 AM   #34
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg M
It would appear that no one actually put a Pro-Stock motor in their car and ran it with 1500's until the rule changed.

People say to just accept it, but no one used their brains on this one.
Yes they did, and yes we did you should try using yours as well
Old 07-07-2005, 08:27 AM   #35
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I'm glad I don't race/live in NZ. Does not sound like stock would be much fun over there. Our deffinition of Pro Stock here is our best stock drivers and mod guys running together with 27t motors. Our regular stock class still uses the same motor as Pro Stock, but the drivers may not all have the skill needed yet to run Pro Stock or Mod. They don't do a sanctioned Novice class, even though I think that would be a good idea. Our local track does a novice/sportsman class and it works out well. I personally would not want to be starting out running against guys who have been doing it for years only to be frustrated by not being able to run with them or more or less be in their way. I think you guys need to get together with whoever is in charge of your sanctioning body and work this out before you loose people from the hobby. I can see that happening.
Yeti35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2005, 09:03 AM   #36
Tech Addict

Send a message via AIM to josh69162

What I don't understand is wouldn't the batteries have the same voltage regardless of their capacity? If so, why worry about the battery capacity if both of the packs can reach the 5 minute mark?
-Josh
josh69162 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2005, 12:45 PM   #37
Tech Addict

Most of the people that voiced their support for this change don't actually run in the class as well which makes it even more frustrating.

We now have to live with it, but I would have liked to have seen info on gearing etc and comparisons to our stock class in performance prior to the AGM in support. All we see are guys gearing down their cars and still only making 3.5 minutes. Time will tell, but the people that pushed this change need to get some info out to the racers so they can get them selves set up with the change.

fathead - myself and many others are, we still see no information that supports this change. Is this change going to increase numbers? It will loose a pile of guys that currently run it, so I hope alot of guys come up from stock and also continue to run stock as any change should be to improve numbers. This crap about looking for the future, what a joke, if that was true we would be running nimh in all classes!
Old 07-07-2005, 02:35 PM   #38
Tech Apprentice

like i said - instead of moaning about it on a forum - put something in writing to the NZRCA and get it changed back.
my4ari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2005, 02:40 PM   #39
Tech Addict

Do you think that is really going to work? A letter to NZRCA from the clubs that opposed this won't achieve anything as the so called majority still won, so what would need to happen is one of the clubs that supported it to let the others know that they have changed their minds. Do you agree??

We have already voiced our concerned at the AGM and it still went through. The NZRCA and clubs that supported this are feeling alot more heat than expected over this.
Old 07-07-2005, 02:46 PM   #40
Tech Master

If I've read the AGM report correctly didn't it in fact come down to the president casting the deciding vote? The club vote was a 50/50 split.
Mabuchi540 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2005, 03:04 PM   #41
Tech Addict

Yes, you are correct, 50/50 with the President casting a vote to change the rule. If anything a 50/50 split should keep the rule as is.
Old 07-07-2005, 03:06 PM   #42
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg M
Yes, you are correct, 50/50 with the President casting a vote to change the rule. If anything a 50/50 split should keep the rule as is.
And if nothing else it certainly displays democracy in action.
Mabuchi540 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2005, 03:23 PM   #43
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mabuchi540
And if nothing else it certainly displays democracy in action.
This may be right but if the pres's club voted for it then the pres. should abstain for reasons of conflict of interest.
loopedeloop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2005, 03:32 PM   #44
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to fatbear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixlr8nz
Failip-Why do yo say that silvercans will be harder to come by soon?

Trust me ive been racing for 15years and they say this all the time. Its just another one of the Auckland scare tactics!!!!

Its kinda funny how Auckland has so many clubs and just vote for each other at the agm. They are going to find out the reality when the nats roll around and there are even less people racing than last year!

Its a bit like last year when they changed the rule to 12turn limit in mod. Come the nats they are wondering where everyone went to and trying to blame everything else but the rule change.

Mike

Mike,

You are a shining example to plonkers worldwide.
JConcepts www.jconcepts.net
Ace Hobby Distributors www.acehobbyaustralia.com
fatbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2005, 04:02 PM   #45
Tech Addict

Whys that Darren?