R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 07-06-2005, 07:18 PM   #16
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeti35
Umm, get longer lasting batteries?!! I get 7-8 minutes out of my Monsters with no problem running 33's and can get almost 10 or more if I use 37's. I'm not really getting the logic, but guess I don't have to since it is your situation and you guys have to deal with it.
I cant see the logic either !! But will listen with an open mind to anyone who would care to explain the reasoning.

I dont think cost cuts it as a reason
loopedeloop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2005, 08:16 PM   #17
Tech Addict

Failip-Why do yo say that silvercans will be harder to come by soon?

Trust me ive been racing for 15years and they say this all the time. Its just another one of the Auckland scare tactics!!!!

Its kinda funny how Auckland has so many clubs and just vote for each other at the agm. They are going to find out the reality when the nats roll around and there are even less people racing than last year!

Its a bit like last year when they changed the rule to 12turn limit in mod. Come the nats they are wondering where everyone went to and trying to blame everything else but the rule change.

Mike
ixlr8nz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2005, 08:24 PM   #18
Tech Master

Default Well I've not long been back into RC.....

here in New Zealand and I'm running 1500mah in TC stock (CGM) and have no problems making 8 min in practice and about 7 in a race so I'm not worried about it at all really.

In fact at the new Manawatu track there's no more than a lap difference between the pro stock and 540 stock times anyway (best individual laps of course).

I've got 8 batteries now (4 Sharks and 4 Amp Max 2) and both are about the same, although I had 10 batteries a couple of the shark packs couldn't handle the 20amp dis-charge and well now I've got 8 packs.

As for price of packs I think from the U.S including postage they ended up costing me around $20 NZ each.
Mabuchi540 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2005, 08:29 PM   #19
Tech Regular

I know that 1400's get quite warm during a stock silvercan race (46mm rollout)
They must cook when run with 27t motors surely??
Hence the reason you burnt out two packs.???
Old 07-06-2005, 08:33 PM   #20
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by loopedeloop
I know that 1400's get quite warm during a stock silvercan race (46mm rollout)
They must cook when run with 27t motors surely??
Hence the reason you burnt out two packs.???
Well I'm only running a silver can at the moment and sure it gets a bit warm (were talking ratios down in the 4-4.25 region in TC stock) but nowhere near as hot as it gets on the discharger.

Edit: My current rollout is 47.86mm (just a little bit much for the Sharks but not the AmpMax) but the fastest 540 stock guy at the moment is running a rollout of 48mm and he uses 1400scr and makes time no problem at all.

Last edited by Mabuchi540; 07-06-2005 at 08:45 PM.
Old 07-06-2005, 08:37 PM   #21
Tech Regular

Have you tried a 27t on 1400's??

Did it make runtime?
Old 07-06-2005, 08:38 PM   #22
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by loopedeloop
Have you tried a 27t on 1400's??

Did it make runtime?
You posted too quick for me lol. See previous posts edit.

I don't have a 27t myself but from what I've seen run time can be made.

It's just that with the speed/gearing you might have to use to make time you might not be lapping 540 silvers anymore lol.
Old 07-06-2005, 09:00 PM   #23
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

it was only a few years ago we all were running modified 5 minute races in offroad using 14 turn motors and 1700 battery packs - never had a problem with run time then, so why now 8 years on are we saying a 1500 pack will not last on a 27 turn motor?? i think you guys need to stop moaning and actually try it. Manawatu had a remit to combine stock 540 and 27 turn stock motors to one class - but talking to people at events about this we were going to get nil support so why bother. This rule has created another class for all stock racers (biggest class remember) and the mod races have super touring. If you have just purchased 3300 for prostock then you are an idiot - never buy new batteries 3 months before an agm because even if we didnt lower the battery rule - it would have followed modified anyway and gone to 3700 so then you would be moaning your 3300 arent enough. how about spending another $80 buy a mod motor and race in a fast class (cause thats what you are all moaning about - having to gear low = low speed). And how about attending the AGM next year so i can abuse you for a change about rules you voted for or against!!!!!!!!!!
my4ari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2005, 09:27 PM   #24
Tech Regular

If I wanted to race supertouring I would be!

If you were at the AGM maybe you could tell me why it happened?

I always thought 27t was a good compromise between stock and mod and a good training ground for those who wish to move to mod later.
Old 07-06-2005, 09:29 PM   #25
Tech Regular

One more question, who in NZ stocks 1500 packs??
Old 07-06-2005, 09:38 PM   #26
Tech Apprentice

Okay letís get to the point of the thread, I didnít want a debate on the rules that we run, I started this thread to find out about 1500 amp batteries so I could get the best runtime I could within the new rules

I am not here to say wither the rule is a good one or a bad one, I donít really care I just want to race no mater what the rules are

So the point of this thread is to determine which the best 1500 batteries are around so that drivers that have to adjust to the new rule can do so by being informed about all the battery options

Cheers
judge10tpt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2005, 09:43 PM   #27
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by my4ari
it was only a few years ago we all were running modified 5 minute races in offroad using 14 turn motors and 1700 battery packs - never had a problem with run time then, so why now 8 years on are we saying a 1500 pack will not last on a 27 turn motor??
I was out of RC for 12 years but I remember those days too when mod would run 1700mah packs (showing my age) and I don't understand why 5 min should be any problem for a pro-stock either?

Especially when you consider on-road has less resistance (surface) the ESC are more effective (voltage loss nowadays) and the cars themselves are more efficient.

I've recently got some 3700 cells on the belief the rule would pass and I intend to run 1/12th as soon as I can but if 1/12 was only 5min I wouldn't have bothered with that even.

Last edited by Mabuchi540; 07-06-2005 at 09:54 PM.
Old 07-06-2005, 09:46 PM   #28
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

almost every single rc car supplier in NZ will sell the batteries. This same arguement happened when stock was changed to 1500 - everyone moaned like there is no tomorrow - now look - its the biggest class. how about letting it go for a year and trying it - see what happens.
I was at the AGM - why did it happen - well it was voted for by our club because it would give stock racers more racing without huge costs just like mod guys get super touring and they wanted it. Obviously other clubs wanted it as well - sure some clubs didnt want it to change but they were outvoted so it was passed. If you dont like it - dont race - or change and enjoy racing like a large majority of us do
my4ari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2005, 09:51 PM   #29
Tech Master

Default You didn't.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by judge10tpt
Okay letís get to the point of the thread, I didnít want a debate on the rules that we run, I started this thread to find out about 1500 amp batteries so I could get the best runtime I could within the new rules

I am not here to say wither the rule is a good one or a bad one, I donít really care I just want to race no mater what the rules are

So the point of this thread is to determine which the best 1500 batteries are around so that drivers that have to adjust to the new rule can do so by being informed about all the battery options

Cheers
race back in the old days of nothing but ni-cads did you? lol.

Anyway to answer the question. I'm fairly certain my Duratrax shark packs aren't 1500mah as they certainly don't have the duration of the Ampmax 2 packs I have. The sharks punch like SCRs did when I raced off-road.

But solely for run time I'd go for any genuine Sanyo 1500 pack. The Sharks don't appear to perform any different if charged at 4 or 5 amps and the Ampmax seem to like 5 amps with a top up at 6.

As for run time I've timed all my packs on my discharger and to flatten down to 6 volts the Sanyo based Ampmax have a steadier discharge and usually last about 30 seconds longer to the 6 volt mark.

But they DON't seem to like a charge the night before top up at the track procedure like the sharks do.
Old 07-06-2005, 09:56 PM   #30
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Shookie Send a message via MSN to Mr. Shookie

I think it is retarded because you are forcing your cells to basicly go down to nothing which isn't the best for the motor or the ESC or the Batteries...You will end up spending more MOney...
I would say limit it to the Tamyia 540 motors as there are a plenty that restricts the class just right....And no matched packs...but I know some guys would just peal off the labels...
These are my thoughts....
-Shookie <><
All who love the LORD JESUS I praise with you.1 Cor 10:31
Team HOLY Rollers (Team Manager)
The Church is a Hospital for Sinners not a Museum for Saints.
RcTech Feedback <>< RC Tech Subcriber #92
Mr. Shookie is offline   Reply With Quote