R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 07-04-2005, 08:50 PM   #16
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

while i find your statements logical and true in most aspects,i do have to say that in my situation it is very important that i use the quasi isotropic carbon fiber plate that consists of a mixture of different grade raw material.i need the torsional strength more than anything being that my kits use a top deck.there is no substitute for the 45 degree layers in my situation.being that the standard grade c/f is layed at 0 and 90 degrees,the material carries its strength in only 2 directions.through extensive testing i found that the material was 40% more resistant to twist.however,with the construction of a tub style chassis would change my situation quite a bit.is this what you do with your kit?if so,then i see exactly what you are saying.quasi isotropic lay really would just be overkill.the structure is being formed.
J Concepts
protc3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2005, 09:06 PM   #17
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

post a pic of you 1/12th buddy.i love those things.heres mine.i love running this thing
Attached Thumbnails
About High-end Materials used in our TC-12l4-web-pic.jpg  
J Concepts
protc3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2005, 09:09 PM   #18
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMK
Going back to RC car early days, you will find that things such as carbonfibre was used for RC before many other hobby/sports even had a clue about it.
PK
Sport Fishermen certainly were using this stuff before anyone in the the RC arena. I still have a commercially available Graphic fishing rod from the 1970 !
Ghostfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2005, 10:00 PM   #19
Tech Elite

protc3-Please capitolize. I get lost in your post w/o them
ChadCapece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2005, 06:10 AM   #20
PMK
Tech Apprentice

Jason I agree fully about the idea of needing torsional strength vs longitudinal strength. This was the reason for fabbing the second plate. The plate I run now is true definition of Quasi Isotropic and balanced. With the layup having equal strength in all directions and plys stacked symmetrically

0,45,-45,90,90,-45,45,0.

This is with a woven fabric, I forget but think it is a 4 harness satin weave. Being woven the fabric has both warp and fill fibers. The warp and fill strengths were close to equal, but not exactly. Therfore the reason to use the above layup schedule to obtain the equal strength in all directions and balancing the the plys to have identical effect regardless of which side becomes the upper surface.

The second plate version is not a Quasi Isotropic layup, as it does not have equal strength in all directions, though is balanced via it being symmetric.

90,45,-45,-45,45,90.

This is in no way quasi as it does not offer equal strength in all directions.

It does however reduce weight while maintaining the higher level of torsional stiffness.

I had, and still do consider the idea of a lipped edge chassis. Unfortunately time doesn't exist right now for drawing it and then having the forms machined. The tragic part of all this handmade stuff becomes spares, now it's not as if I can break something and just pick one up to replace it, but then again, from previous failure of oem stuff, stregth is added to allow endurance.

As for the fishing pole, I won't disagree, I'm sure there were also some early tennis rackets too, but for the most part Carbon was fairly common in RC long before it bacame mainstream in other hobby areas.

And to see the new methods of producing carbon products using nanofibre methods makes cutting a carbonfibre plate appear antiquated.

I'll try for a photo, no guarantees. It will be a bit as the car is undergoing some mods in other areas.

BTW Jason, if I ever get to a State race you are welcome to check the thing out hands on. If nothing else this is just a learning curve to decide what to buy next time.

PK
PMK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2005, 06:27 PM   #21
Tom
Tech Regular

I have done some home carbon fibre work as well. This is my first effort, with 2 more sitting in moulds as i write this, which are both of a much better quality. Its a bit of learn as you go. Anyway they are parts for my final year Design & Tech project at school. What do you think?
Attached Thumbnails
About High-end Materials used in our TC-1.jpg   About High-end Materials used in our TC-2.jpg  
Tom is offline   Reply With Quote