Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
DE-MOUNTING RUBBER TIRES >

DE-MOUNTING RUBBER TIRES

DE-MOUNTING RUBBER TIRES

Old 11-02-2013, 07:36 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)
Default DE-MOUNTING RUBBER TIRES

Any tips on how to remove a rubber tire that is already glued to a rim? I cracked a brand new rim and would like to try and save the new tire. I already tried de-bonder with no success.
Old 11-02-2013, 08:49 PM
Tech Master

You can either hang them above some acetone in a sealed bucket for a few days or the way I do it is I hear up the oven to 300deg the shut it off, slide tires in, wait until cool, then pull the tire off the rim, sometimes it takes a few bakings to get all the glue to break free
Old 11-02-2013, 09:59 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

If they don't snap off at once a dunk in cold water usually helps.
Old 11-03-2013, 01:53 AM
Tech Addict

Ive often wondered if the oven's heat, or acetone will ruin the tyres. Yes they will still be black & round, but will they still have the same grip/traction.
Old 11-03-2013, 07:50 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

I recently saw an adhesive remover in the hardware store that I was interested in trying. It is made by Goof Off. Here is a link to the product

(http://www.goofoffproducts.com/produ...r-glue-remover)

It is marketed as being able to soften/remove super glue, epoxies & gorilla glue. I saw it at my local Menards (big box hardware store), but it looks like you should be able to purchase it through Home Depot as well.

----------

I have used acetone recently on my HPI Vintage wheels (to remove worn out tires). I have a set of front tires that I removed that I was thinking about mounting back up to see if they still work okay after being exposed to the acetone. They look okay but feel a bit less sticky, for lack of a better term.
Old 11-03-2013, 08:11 AM
Tech Master

Acetone or MEK, plastic rims will soak em up softening and melt, ruining them. Old schooled of boiling them water. Put them in oven!!! That will piss off the wife or mother, You stink up the house. Rubber will soften in boiling water, an environment safer.
Old 11-03-2013, 09:29 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Get yourself a used or cheap toaster oven and use the garage.
Old 11-03-2013, 10:57 AM
Tech Apprentice

Having worked in the rubber industry for 25 years, we did aging tests @120 and 200 degrees C, (it was days) but the rubber was shite after it.
For a short period at 100 it should be OK. also we did swell test in oil and water, immersion in water for extend periods is no good as the rubber permanently swells ( increases volume).

If you are not heating or immersing for a long period it should be OK, I have no experience with plastics, but I imagine it's not good for the wheels.

To be honest there is about 10 cents worth of rubber in a set of tyres, I still have access to injection moulding machines and all types of rubber, if I had a set of moulds I could make enough tyres to last a life time for about $30 and a few hours!
Old 11-03-2013, 07:21 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

I tried all the methods seen in the Youtube videos. Boiling, Baking, Acetone. Fail, Fail, Fail. Could have been my type of rim or tyre, but I'll just be buying new ones from now on.
Old 11-04-2013, 05:31 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Out of curiousity, I recently removed tires from rims using MEK vapor. Sorex 24 tires survived nicely after four days. Solaris 32 tires cracked/split. HPI VTA tires got really BIG.

Solaris, Jaco, Schumacher, and HPI VTA rims all survived, and were re-usable.

But I agree with Sith Lord, it's really not worth the hassle. Just buy new.
Old 11-04-2013, 09:03 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Geezatec
Acetone or MEK, plastic rims will soak em up softening and melt, ruining them. Old schooled of boiling them water. Put them in oven!!! That will piss off the wife or mother, You stink up the house. Rubber will soften in boiling water, an environment safer.
Boiling them in water will work, but the technique requires patience and a tolerance for pain (and/or a good set of gloves). My experience has taught me that removing the tire immediately after taking the tire/wheel out of the water works best.

Acetone will melt some plastic wheels, but not all of them. HPI vintage rims don't melt in acetone, as I've reused HPI wheels several times after mounting and destroying a set of tires.

Buying a gallon of acetone will cost 1/2 of what you paid for the tires in the first place - personally, I'd cut my losses and buy a new set of tires.
Old 11-04-2013, 10:20 AM
Tech Regular

Default tire removal

Greetings gozukihop; my suggestion may not apply but it could be a last resort - you may try to grind the wheel rim away . Just enough where applying acetone to the bead can less intrusive to the tire you're trying to save.
I'd previously run nitro where i'd destroy a lesser quality rim(yes, it really was my driving) I ,too ,wanted to save may race foams so i'd decided to grind away the plastic wheel with my dremel. Anyway, goodluck.
Old 11-04-2013, 11:34 AM
Tech Elite

Thank you ALL for the help and suggestions.