Search
Like Tree305Likes

Xray X1 - Formula One Car

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2015, 07:22 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by PDR
I'm not sure if reducing the sag or the net effect of reducing droop was helping, but it was a little better. I probably need to rebuild the roll shock too, since the damping effect seemed to be minimal

Phil.
That's one thing I noticed after I had built my car, the rear end had a lot of droop/sag in it, maybe need a spacer under the piston in the main shock to curb that.
Need to try different rebound settings as well, for I suspect this will also affect the handling too.
Old 06-22-2015, 02:40 PM
Tech Elite

I too experienced this problem, which is the rear inside wheel lifting in the middle of turns alowing the inside wheel to spin freely making the noise you can hear.
Even on a low grip surface, the rear end generates a lot of grip, making the car lean over a lot, and lifting the rear wheel.

To solve this I used stiffer side springs, and higher cst oil in the roll shock (800), and placed a 1mm shim under the front pivot balls of the side links to alow more suspension movement without having the side links hitting against the main chassis.

My F113 also had the same issue which frustrated me to no end, because I believed the diff was coming loose during a race & losing drive out of the turns, until I changed to stiffer side springs & placing the 1mm shim under the front side link balls.
Like the Xray, the F113 has a very wide chassis, along with having the side link balls mounted too low.

Other F1 cars that have a more narrow chassis, with more space between the chassis & side links don't experience this problem as much.

*edit* If you find that the rear wants to swing out on corner exit, try changing the front caster to 6 degre's instead of 9.

Cheers
Rob.
ah, so glad this is "normal" ...the sound bothered me too. But the car seems to handle very well. So not sure how much I want to go down the path of solving this sound. But since you've laid out the steps for me and done all the hard work I may just have to start tinkering

That's one thing I noticed after I had built my car, the rear end had a lot of droop/sag in it, maybe need a spacer under the piston in the main shock to curb that.
Need to try different rebound settings as well, for I suspect this will also affect the handling too.
This too I've noticed, ...its noticeable when you lift the car off the ground ..the rear sags very easily. I notice that adjusting the main shock doesn't seem to really change the amount or rate of sag. ...BUT, my car is handling well so I personally may not disrupt that by making too many adjustments off of the stock settings.
Old 06-22-2015, 02:41 PM
Tech Elite

I plan on getting back out for more practice w/ my F1 later this week. I hope to get it completely dialed in to my liking and ready for its first race in July (if all goes well).
Old 06-22-2015, 06:57 PM
Tech Elite

Also, if you installed the roll shock as per instructions, when the rear suspension depresses to a certain amount, the motor mount will hit against the roll shock end. To fix this, just flip the roll shock around so the end that has the grub screw is on the motor mount side.
Old 06-26-2015, 09:25 AM
Tech Elite

Also, if you installed the roll shock as per instructions, when the rear suspension depresses to a certain amount, the motor mount will hit against the roll shock end. To fix this, just flip the roll shock around so the end that has the grub screw is on the motor mount side.
I will have to look at my car to understand what your describing (at work now), ...but like the sound of this.

-----

I did get out for another day of practice yesterday. I feel that slightly tightening the ball diff about 3/4 of a turn solved the noisy diff' issue. I think my diff may have been just a tad too loose and was spinning a bit more than it should have. It is a sensitive adjustment that in my opinion is really done by adjusting and driving, adjusting and driving, adjusting and driving ...till you get it right and to your liking.

I also got my braking adjusted nicely. Only thing I'd prefer is if it could turn a bit tighter, ...but I may be comparing it to my TC car too much. I just have to slow to take tight turns, but sounds like this is how F1's drive?

I feel my car is dialed in and I am confident to enter it in its first race the weekend after next (we don't have races over the July 4th weekend).
Old 06-28-2015, 02:00 PM
CFR
Tech Regular

Front & Rear Wings
------------------
Which are using for indoors on carpet?
Old 06-28-2015, 02:01 PM
CFR
Tech Regular

Ride Tyres
----------
Tips & Tricks to get them to work please
Old 06-28-2015, 06:55 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Ran the 2mm chassis,rear pod plate and floating servo mount today. Kept setup same as with previous chassis. Car had more grip both front and rear which was not surprising. Car had way more corner speed and felt more comfortable to drive at the limit. More overall steering without sacrificing rear grip or binding up the rear. This was on asphalt track with varying conditions.

https://youtu.be/rn37cB2yA9A

Last edited by racenut123; 06-28-2015 at 11:21 PM.
Old 06-29-2015, 09:21 AM
Tech Elite

Racenut, -is that the new (since moving to San Jose) Norcal parking lot track in the video?
just wondering where in the bay area you race?
Old 06-29-2015, 09:40 AM
Tech Elite

eRC1:

No this is the parkinglot track that is called Pole Position RC. It's a brand new race program in the east bay. It's nice for those that don't want to drive all the way down to San Jose. It's 5 minutes from the old Norcal Hobbies.They just had their 1st race. Next raceday is July 11th.

I will be racing Carpet at 209 over the Fall/Winter and Pole Position during the summer.
Old 06-29-2015, 09:47 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Wait: the new one piece servo mount is floating?? Awesome!!

John: How would you compare the Pole Position grip to Ripon at night or Norcal when YOU spray it? Just trying to define your feedback on the chassis more to something I know
Old 06-29-2015, 09:49 AM
Tech Elite

eRC1:

No this is the parkinglot track that is called Pole Position RC. It's a brand new race program in the east bay. It's nice for those that don't want to drive all the way down to San Jose. It's 5 minutes from the old Norcal Hobbies.They just had their 1st race. Next raceday is July 11th.

I will be racing Carpet at 209 over the Fall/Winter and Pole Position during the summer.
What? A new place to race! ...i assume I can do a search and find a website for this club and see what events are run? ....googling now!
Old 06-29-2015, 10:01 AM
Tech Elite

Just checked out the FB page, ...I saw Tino in one of the videos. HA, -Tino is a fun guy, ..i've raced w/ him!

1) So do you have a schedule of races?
2) What time do you guys usually end? -looks like there are only 5 or 6 classes (I could race in 3 of them) ...but would mean an earlier day (my current club goes til 7pm ...gets to be a long day). so that would be good and the wife would love me getting home earlier.
3) Can I use the Mylaps 2-wire transponders (I don't feel like buying all new transponders)!
4) Wow, I may have to make it out there soon!
Old 06-29-2015, 10:18 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by JayL
Wait: the new one piece servo mount is floating?? Awesome!!

John: How would you compare the Pole Position grip to Ripon at night or Norcal when YOU spray it? Just trying to define your feedback on the chassis more to something I know
For reference James Davenport said Pole Positions grip yesterday was as good if not a little better then Ripon at night which he said was very good the night before. When I have been left to be the one to spray the track at Norcal, the grip is usually decent considering the pre-spay surface condition but Pole Position's grip was way more consistent.

My comparison was from our practice days at Pole Position to racing there yesterday. I made no setup changes except the chassis/pod plate. If your car feels like it could use a little more steering/more connected feeling, the 2mm chassis helped in this department.
Old 06-29-2015, 10:23 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by eR1c
Just checked out the FB page, ...I saw Tino in one of the videos. HA, -Tino is a fun guy, ..i've raced w/ him!

1) So do you have a schedule of races?
2) What time do you guys usually end? -looks like there are only 5 or 6 classes (I could race in 3 of them) ...but would mean an earlier day (my current club goes til 7pm ...gets to be a long day). so that would be good and the wife would love me getting home earlier.
3) Can I use the Mylaps 2-wire transponders (I don't feel like buying all new transponders)!
4) Wow, I may have to make it out there soon!
1}Next raceday is July 11th. Full schedule coming soon.
2}I did the math. Even with a bunch more participation, we should be done by about 3pm.
3}yes the my laps 2 wire works perfect.
4}You should! FREE DONUTS in the morning and Free Icecream sandwhiches
for everyone before the Mains. Fernando is an innovator.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.