R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Like Tree62Likes

Old 06-19-2015, 02:40 AM   #961
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by eR1c View Post
brought my X1 out to the track today for some practice and to get it dialed in.

I feel it is mostly there.
The diff' is the only thing I had to really keep adjusting. Too tight and the rear wants to swing out, too loose and you lose power ...I found a nice middle ground. I was at an indoor track, so sounds echo a bit, ...the car is super quite. Yet around corners when the diff is being spun there is a noticeable sound made. Kind of a whinning sound ...is this normal? I am used to TC which are silent (probably because the diff's are closed).

Also, taking tight turns you really have to slow down, -not like a TC. Your turn radius is reduced greatly when at higher speeds. ...just something I have to get a little used to.

Love the car though, once the tires warm up it really sticks to the ground nicely.
With these F1's it's all about the brakes when making tighter turns
wlrc.co.uk (West London Racing Centre)
RCDisco.co.uk
Skiddins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 08:08 AM   #962
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
eRC1,

I see you went to Delta. Was it hot in the building? Anyways, its a pancar and it will make a whirring sound from the pinion and spur but it should not be too loud. Normal. As far as corner speed,if there is a bunch of traction on that track, your car should turn very well. Sounds like a setup issue. Easily remedied. Try a bit more drag brake also. Maybe our paths will cross at the track at some point. Thanks again on the 9551 deal.

John
-Yes, you nailed it John, Delta in Antioch. I did notice that the car handled much better once the tires warmed up, in fact it handled great then. Seriously, one day we will cross paths. I used to go to Nor-Cal when they were in Union City, ...San Jose is a bit far for me now. That is a 2+ hour drive. I could make it to Delta again next week as I think I am getting a day off during the week. If your interested in joining ...I think Tue or Thurs will work. PM me if interested.

Quote:
With these F1's it's all about the brakes when making tighter turns
Yes, I noticed that yesterday. I got the brakes dialed in nicely ...also I adjusted my steering curve so that the steering is much softer and more like what I am used to w/ my TC. This helped greatly too.

By the end of the day I was getting the hang of it. It is a blast to drive. Just need to continue to get more practice with it. I may enter it in its first race in early July (that is my goal).
eR1c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 08:10 AM   #963
Tech Master

John,
...it wasn't too bad in the building. It started getting a bit hot by 3pm ..probably in the 80's.

Okay,
one more quick question. What ride height do you guys recommend for outdoor asphalt parking lot racing? Our club runs on a smooth parking lot, there are no noticeable bumps or edges ...but it isn't as smooth as a dedicated asphalt RC track. ...meaning our track is used for parking 1:1 cars when we're not running. I am using the stock recommended setup ...it seems really low to me, but again coming from TC's F1 is a bit new to me.
Old 06-19-2015, 08:29 AM   #964
Tech Elite

Quote:
John,
...it wasn't too bad in the building. It started getting a bit hot by 3pm ..probably in the 80's.

Okay,
one more quick question. What ride height do you guys recommend for outdoor asphalt parking lot racing? Our club runs on a smooth parking lot, there are no noticeable bumps or edges ...but it isn't as smooth as a dedicated asphalt RC track. ...meaning our track is used for parking 1:1 cars when we're not running. I am using the stock recommended setup ...it seems really low to me, but again coming from TC's F1 is a bit new to me.
I think most run between 4.5-6mm
I can't honestly say I notice any difference between the different ride heights.
wlrc.co.uk (West London Racing Centre)
RCDisco.co.uk
Skiddins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 08:34 AM   #965
Suspended

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Well if you get a chance, come out to Pole Position RC raceway. They will be racing about 5 minutes from the old Norcal Hobbies. There is the where the biggest northern california f1 contingent will be. It's a parking lot track like GP club. Lots of help and fun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q7I3...ature=youtu.be

video of a practice day with a couple F1's

Quote:
-Yes, you nailed it John, Delta in Antioch. I did notice that the car handled much better once the tires warmed up, in fact it handled great then. Seriously, one day we will cross paths. I used to go to Nor-Cal when they were in Union City, ...San Jose is a bit far for me now. That is a 2+ hour drive. I could make it to Delta again next week as I think I am getting a day off during the week. If your interested in joining ...I think Tue or Thurs will work. PM me if interested.

Yes, I noticed that yesterday. I got the brakes dialed in nicely ...also I adjusted my steering curve so that the steering is much softer and more like what I am used to w/ my TC. This helped greatly too.

By the end of the day I was getting the hang of it. It is a blast to drive. Just need to continue to get more practice with it. I may enter it in its first race in early July (that is my goal).
racenut123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 08:40 AM   #966
Tech Master

Quote:
I think most run between 4.5-6mm
I can't honestly say I notice any difference between the different ride heights.
Thanks! ...just wanted to get a sense of where others were at.
Old 06-19-2015, 08:41 AM   #967
Tech Master

Quote:
Well if you get a chance, come out to Pole Position RC raceway. They will be racing about 5 minutes from the old Norcal Hobbies. There is the where the biggest northern california f1 contingent will be. It's a parking lot track like GP club. Lots of help and fun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q7I3...ature=youtu.be

video of a practice day with a couple F1's
wow, did not know about this place. ...will have to check it out.
Not sure i'll be able to make it this weekend as we have other plans ...but will keep this place in mind for sure.
Old 06-19-2015, 09:47 AM   #968
Tech Master

-says the video no longer exists? no worry..
Old 06-19-2015, 10:09 AM   #969
Tech Elite

Quote:
-says the video no longer exists? no worry..
Come on down Eric... The yellow F1 you see is my X1
Sydewynder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 01:30 PM   #970
Tech Fanatic

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
Airwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 08:53 AM   #971
Tech Master

Thanks for embedding that video into the post,
Wow, nice driving! ...love that aerial view.

Okay, i'll try to make it down one weekend ...yet we'll have to see ...already pushing my RC time limit w/ my wife
Old 06-21-2015, 05:56 AM   #972
Tech Addict

Hello from France,

here's my review.

http://www.rcf1.fr/index.php/le-foru...-de-la-xray-x1

Au revoir,

Romuald
romuald31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 03:40 AM   #973
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
brought my X1 out to the track today for some practice and to get it dialed in.

I feel it is mostly there.
The diff' is the only thing I had to really keep adjusting. Too tight and the rear wants to swing out, too loose and you lose power ...I found a nice middle ground. I was at an indoor track, so sounds echo a bit, ...the car is super quite. Yet around corners when the diff is being spun there is a noticeable sound made. Kind of a whinning sound ...is this normal? I am used to TC which are silent (probably because the diff's are closed).
I too experienced this problem, which is the rear inside wheel lifting in the middle of turns alowing the inside wheel to spin freely making the noise you can hear.
Even on a low grip surface, the rear end generates a lot of grip, making the car lean over a lot, and lifting the rear wheel.

To solve this I used stiffer side springs, and higher cst oil in the roll shock (800), and placed a 1mm shim under the front pivot balls of the side links to alow more suspension movement without having the side links hitting against the main chassis.

My F113 also had the same issue which frustrated me to no end, because I believed the diff was coming loose during a race & losing drive out of the turns, until I changed to stiffer side springs & placing the 1mm shim under the front side link balls.
Like the Xray, the F113 has a very wide chassis, along with having the side link balls mounted too low.

Other F1 cars that have a more narrow chassis, with more space between the chassis & side links don't experience this problem as much.

*edit* If you find that the rear wants to swing out on corner exit, try changing the front caster to 6 degre's instead of 9.

Cheers
Rob.
Old 06-22-2015, 05:42 AM   #974
PDR
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ta04evah View Post
To solve this I used stiffer side springs, and higher cst oil in the roll shock (800), and placed a 1mm shim under the front pivot balls of the side links to alow more suspension movement without having the side links hitting against the main chassis.
Interesting insight, Rob! I experienced loss of rear grip off power during practice in Adelaide. On power mid-corner and exit were ok. I curbed this a little by making sure the pre-load on the centre shock was adjusted better. I'm not sure if reducing the sag or the net effect of reducing droop was helping, but it was a little better. I probably need to rebuild the roll shock too, since the damping effect seemed to be minimal

Phil.
Making an A Main at a Scotty Ernst event. Awesome. Scotty calling you first in A1. Priceless
PDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 08:10 AM   #975
sbd
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ta04evah View Post
I too experienced this problem, which is the rear inside wheel lifting in the middle of turns alowing the inside wheel to spin freely making the noise you can hear.
Even on a low grip surface, the rear end generates a lot of grip, making the car lean over a lot, and lifting the rear wheel.

My F113 also had the same issue which frustrated me to no end, because I believed the diff was coming loose during a race & losing drive out of the turns, until I changed to stiffer side springs & placing the 1mm shim under the front side link balls.
Like the Xray, the F113 has a very wide chassis, along with having the side link balls mounted too low.

Other F1 cars that have a more narrow chassis, with more space between the chassis & side links don't experience this problem as much.

*edit* If you find that the rear wants to swing out on corner exit, try changing the front caster to 6 degre's instead of 9.

Cheers
Rob.
Hi Rob,
It is strange you put stiffer side springs... I would think exactly the oposite should help keeping the inner rear wheel on the ground. In extreem side loads inner wheel lift always happens at the stiffer end. By putting stiffer spring you further stiffen that end... It must be somthing different that hepls you...
sbd is offline   Reply With Quote