R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 11-01-2013, 05:06 PM   #1
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 145 (100%+)
Default 1s esc? Anybody using one or know about them?

Hey guys. I am putting together another 12th scale pan car for this winter racing season and stumbled upon the Turnigy Trackstar 1s esc. It says it has a built in voltage booster and the whole point of getting this esc would be to eliminate the 2s receiver pack. Will this do that? And is anybody else using this ESC? I know it's cheap but i'm sure it will work just as good as my other high dollar esc's until I get good with the car. Here is the link:

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...s_Car_ESC.html

thanks for any input!

Kyle
210-722-6891

IGT Hobbies - The one stop shop for anything on-road and incredible customer service.
brothainchrist0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 05:44 PM   #2
Tech Master

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Hobbywing for the win!!
Old 11-01-2013, 07:32 PM   #3
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.juarez View Post
Hobbywing for the win!!
Thank you for the input, now does anybody have experience with any 1s esc? Do I need a 2s receiver pack still?

IGT Hobbies - The one stop shop for anything on-road and incredible customer service.
Old 11-01-2013, 08:29 PM   #4
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

No the HW 1s don't need any external battery support . it supplies 5.8v @3amps I do believe
jlfx car audio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 10:25 PM   #5
Tech Champion

Orca, Viper, and Hobby Wing all make 1s ESCs that do not require a booster or receiver pack. I'm not sure about the Turnigy though.

You can find pretty much any info you need on 1/12th equipment and setup in this thread:
http://www.rctech.net/forum/californ...ll-so-cal.html
InspGadgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 10:59 PM   #6
Tech Elite

Awesome! Thanks a ton you guys. This is why I love this forum.

Old 11-02-2013, 12:40 PM   #7
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to valk Send a message via AIM to valk Send a message via MSN to valk

lrp makes one as well i belive.
i run the new hobbywing and it is very nice for 1/12. lots of power and very tidy install in a car.
the orca is also quite common in our club.
the hobbywing is 1s only though. if you plug a 2s into it, it might fry the bec as is spoken with the included paper insert.
not sure about the orca.. im told it will work in 2s mode but I probably wouldnt risk it myself.
basically, id either buy a 2s esc and run a cap/battery, or buy a 1s esc and make sure it live exclusively in a 1s its whole life.

I might get an orca for stock as the hobbywing isnt yet roar approved. id stay away from the turnigy stuff if you want to race as im pretty sure their motors and escs are not approved. you can save a few bucks for sure, but as many of our club are discovering now, penny wise, pound foolish as many of them are in a panic to get up to roar approved stuff for our big races.
www.irocc.ca - www.wcics.ca - www.vrcworld.com - http://proampsrc.com/ - www.teamassociated.com
valk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 05:04 PM   #8
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Turnigy trackstar works just fine. Ran one for about 10 months without any problem (no receiver pack required) but i did find that is not as smooth power delivery as some of the bigger named brands.
Test Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 09:16 PM   #9
Tech Elite

awesome, thank you so much for the input. i'll look into the other esc's but as of now, i'm going to run the trackstar and see what i like. In the past i have run a tekin rs with a 2s receiver pack and it was super smooth but i dont have the money to do that set up again right now so i'm just trying to go cheap.

Old 11-02-2013, 10:11 PM   #10
Dan
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 48 (100%+)

Take a look at the V2.1 Hobbywing 1S ESC on Falcon Sekido website. Its like $72.
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 03:30 AM   #11
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

The Trackstar works really well for the cost. If you're racing 21.5, 17.5 or 13.5 blinky then I'd seriously recommend it. The Viper vtx1 is still a great esc and the pro guage unit is a breeze to use. Bottom line is that the hobbywing, LRP and Viper are all in the $150+ range. For around $70 bucks you get the Turnigy and programming card (really a must have). For any blinky class it's worth a try but it's pretty new and IS NOT roar approved.
rctrackman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 04:48 AM   #12
Suspended

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I ran my Serpent LT today on a large outdoor asphalt track, 10.5 Eurtostock. Trackstar 1 Cell esc, Trackstar 10.5T motor, and A-Spec Nano Tech 6.0 1 cell. Turnigy pinion too, the only thing not Turnigy is the servo, radio gear and transponder

From what i have heard from others, the Trackstar 1 Cell is not as smooth down low as some other escs, but, for me, i am happy with my costs bugger all 12th scale. If you are doing 12th on the cheap, then grab the Trackstar, it will not disappoint.
RogerDaShrubber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 10:30 AM   #13
Tech Elite

Excellent, thank u so much you guys for the help. I'll grab the track star and then when I can afford something nicer I'll upgrade. Thanks again!

Old 11-03-2013, 11:22 AM   #14
Tech Master

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by brothainchrist0 View Post
Excellent, thank u so much you guys for the help. I'll grab the track star and then when I can afford something nicer I'll upgrade. Thanks again!

I've seen a few track stars take a crap personally out of the blue. I would rather save a few bucka extra and get the hobbywing if I were you. I've been running hobbywing for over 3 years and not one issue nor have I seen anyone have issues locally with them. (Other than a friend I know killed 2 by mixing the +-)

Falcon seiko is a great deal for the esc, you can find cheaper on ebay but falcon offers warranty if some was to go bad with it. If the track star takes a crap where would you send it and now you have to buy twice!
Old 11-03-2013, 11:34 AM   #15
Tech Elite

haha, alrgiht. i'll go with the hobbywing one than. the 75 bucks isnt bad compaired to the 50 for the trackstar one. thanks guys!