5. Marc Fischer – Serpent – 25/5:04.911
6. Marc Rheinard – Tamiya – 25/5:05.114
7. Marco Kaufmann – Team Xray – 25/5:07.659
8. Yannic Prümper – Team Yokomo – 25/5:07.660
9. Viktor Wilck – Tamiya – 25/5:08.136
10.Julian Borowski – Serpent – 25/5:10.598
Attached Thumbnails
ETS 2013-14-q1mod.jpg  

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old; they grow old because they quit playing."
― Oliver Wendell Holmes Jr.

Last edited by RedBullFiXX; 11-01-2013 at 02:58 PM.
RedBullFiXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 02:43 PM   #17
Tech Regular

i did wonder if i missed a joke
PurcyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 04:13 PM   #18
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Essnowyt View Post
... C: Cost above all, nobody is paying for it.

Snowy
I don't know this events situation, but I do know that in some countries in Europe you can get a sort of government grant for hosting an international event.
This means that there is no financial cost to the host club for running the event.

In the UK there is no such help, which probably goes a good way to explaining why we haven't had a round of ETS. I'm guessing that the US don't have a similar scheme either.
cyclonetog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 05:13 PM   #19
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 60 (100%+)

Its also pretty amazing the turnout they get with the spec rules. Spec ESC and handout motors in the 2 lower classes are pretty awesome!
PROMODVETTE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 05:34 PM   #20
Tech Adept

Last edited by uatemycookie; 11-03-2013 at 12:28 PM.
uatemycookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 08:32 PM   #21
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Kevin K Send a message via Yahoo to Kevin K

Quote:
Originally Posted by Essnowyt View Post
Geography is not directly it, I have not seen any photos like this comming from a race in the states.

Look at the photo Syndr0me. That is in a large gymnasium. Look at the track, which is like 5+ rolls in depth. The venue is different and the layout is different. Both are bigger than what we get to race on here in the states.

Why are we not doing this? A few things come to mind. A: Nobody is setting it up. B: No venue will let us in. C: Cost above all, nobody is paying for it.

Snowy
Geography plays a major part in the success of the ETS. Its Location in Europe is key....The state of Texas is 2/3rds the size of Europe for the most part. With the majority of the races in the eastern part of Europe travel is easy for most people in that area. As a result most of the people in the ETS series can drive or take a train to any of the tracks far easier than anyone in the US could. Have you seen our train system here in the US lately not what most people consider appealing. Cost is the big reason IMO. Cost for racers in the US to travel and spend the time and money to attend such events. Cost for people who run and promote these events they are not flying all over the world to put on races like this out of the goodness of their heart. Think of it this way the IIC is the most costly race in the US to attend and arguably the one with the most value because of its location. Would people be able to afford to attend 5 IIC type events in 1 season in the US that are all over the place? I don't think so. Really what it comes down to is the fact that the ETS is basically equal to a say a local State series in the sate of Texas with far greater attendance. This is why a US National race series would never work we are too large and too broke at the moment. Now if you wanted to get 3 race series to work together and have a triple crown type of championship then cool.....but again that I dubt that will work. From the outside looking in the 3 largest carpet races in the US....IIC, Snowbirds and ROAR carpet Nats...none use the same rules and the ETS has a race date on the same weekend as Snowbirds so I highly doubt that anyone is looking to get into bed with each other any time soon. If there is local government money getting pumped into the ETS then thats also a bonus that a US series would never see to help off set some cost to put on these events.
Im only responsible for what I say NOT what you understand.
Kevin K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 10:55 AM   #22
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Dane Send a message via Skype™ to Dane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Hohwart View Post
Who wants to go to a race with fewer than 300 entries that only lasts three days?? That's not a big race.

Edit: And race only one class. No thanks!
What a shame, perhaps this is an indication in the US manufacturers to see on-road grow and stay current with the world of R/C. We racers have our share of responsibility to see on-road and R/C in general to grow but how can we achieve this if this is the attitude towards one of the most watched events in on-road currently? How can one not justify attending when customers clearly respond with their purchasing power after each race?

www.toycarracingblog.com
Dane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 03:02 PM   #23
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane View Post
What a shame, perhaps this is an indication in the US manufacturers to see on-road grow and stay current with the world of R/C. We racers have our share of responsibility to see on-road and R/C in general to grow but how can we achieve this if this is the attitude towards one of the most watched events in on-road currently? How can one not justify attending when customers clearly respond with their purchasing power after each race?
You know the snark is good when it snares not one but two unsuspecting souls in it's pointy jaws.
* Cee Lo Dizzle, the Secizzle * Red Bull * Team Homies * Pintura de Negro Mate * USVTA #152
CraigMBA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 03:05 PM   #24
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurcyP View Post
i did wonder if i missed a joke
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane View Post
Yes it was a joke.

Although many look at the ETS and wish we had that here, the event could not be more different than the most popular US races. Just look at the schedules of the favorites.

ETS - 3 days, 4 CP rounds, 4 qual rounds, triple mains for all
Snowbirds - 6 days, 2 days practice, 4 qual rounds, single mains
IIC - 5 days - 4 CP rounds, 4 qual rounds, single mains

But the biggest issue is that the ETS format only has three A-mains.
Old 11-02-2013, 05:45 PM   #25
Tech Lord

Please don't discourage guys like Rick from being snarky, he's one of the few manufacturer reps that will actually talk to people about what's really going on.

Freddy's pace at ETS is very impressive. Alex looking good too. All these updated chassis seem to be moving in the right direction. Well, except Tamiya.
syndr0me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 06:03 PM   #26
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by syndr0me View Post
Please don't discourage guys like Rick from being snarky, he's one of the few manufacturer reps that will actually talk to people about what's really going on.

Freddy's pace at ETS is very impressive. Alex looking good too. All these updated chassis seem to be moving in the right direction. Well, except Tamiya.
In all fairness
Tamiya didn't have their new aluminum chassis ready in time for Rd1

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old; they grow old because they quit playing."
Old 11-02-2013, 06:07 PM   #27
Tech Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBullFiXX View Post
In all fairness
True. Hopefully it's available in time for worlds. He did mention they think the chassis on the yet to be released 418 is too stiff for the level of grip they're in.

All joking aside, the racing looks really good. Naoto's interviews were funny. I believe Andy said specifically, "leave me alone." Ronnefalk just wants to do donuts in the dirt out behind the gym.
Old 11-02-2013, 07:54 PM   #28
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by syndr0me View Post
True. Hopefully it's available in time for worlds. He did mention they think the chassis on the yet to be released 418 is too stiff for the level of grip they're in.

All joking aside, the racing looks really good. Naoto's interviews were funny. I believe Andy said specifically, "leave me alone." Ronnefalk just wants to do donuts in the dirt out behind the gym.
How YOU Doin

Old 11-03-2013, 12:35 PM   #29
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBullFiXX View Post
In all fairness
Aluminum chassis?
* Cee Lo Dizzle, the Secizzle * Red Bull * Team Homies * Pintura de Negro Mate * USVTA #152
CraigMBA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 12:48 PM   #30
Tech Lord

He's joking, the Awesomatix guys were running a 2mm aluminum chassis, and Rheinard was quoted earlier in the week saying he thought the 418 needed a softer chassis in the high grip of the event.

Credit to Marc for finishing second in this event with the new car. It started looking a lot better toward the end. High grip is always challenging, especially with a new ride.