R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 07-04-2005, 11:08 AM   #16
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmatter
I took about 10 Years off to Race Dirt Bikes, Separated My shoulders, Broke My Collar Bone, Broke my femur, Bruised about the Neck Chest Face and Head. I am glad to be Back in RC! Now, I sit in my Basement and Drink Mountain Dew and Wrench all night I have only gained about 40lbs in the last Three Years

I haven't broken any bones but I'm right with ya on the 40 lbs.
gonad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2005, 12:07 PM   #17
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Something about Cold Basements, RC Cars, and Mountain Dew! When it is 90 outside there is only one Place to be!!! In the basement getting fat I mean Fast
dmatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2005, 12:22 PM   #18
Tech Regular

i have to say its expensive hobby , im a student and i race on carpet its my second year in this hobby and my fisrt year racing on carpet. the parts are expensive 6 or 7 $ for some screw!! Electronic are expensive (ESC,Battery) but i have to day its my best hobby that i ever done!!! i cant imagine to quit this hobby hehe!! i ahs very good time whit my Touring Car!!

Later!!
T1Raycer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2005, 12:59 PM   #19
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

personally, i don't think (adjusted for inflation) most of the base items are anymore expensive now than 15 years ago. the difference as i see it is nowadays everything has been taken to the Nth degree.

take batteries for example. in the 'old days' you bought one of the high zoot packs, had your timed charger (leisure), a resistor to discharge and a resistor tray. nowadays you've got a plethora of different cell types and capacities, they are zapped and cycled then matched at voltage/time/IR. dozens of different chargers with a range of functions from charge/discharge and motor run-in to programming an esc. dischargers galor including digital and trays with adjustable cut-offs. maintenance zappers, new chassis/cells to match the new sized cells, etc. by their own, the individual items are comparitively no more expensive. it's just the sheer volume of stuff to spend money on.

the one area that i think has caused an unhealthy shift in the market though is TC's. even taking into consideration build quality, when price tags are AVERAGING 350-400 bones just for a chassis (sans body, tires, electronics), this is not conducive to bringing in new racers. say what you will about entry-level tc's being a better choice, but most people don't want to buy a yugo to race a ferrari.
gee-dub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2005, 01:08 PM   #20
Tech Master

me myself got caught up in the moment and baught too much things that someone like me doesn't need yet...and all in year and a half. Now i'm only planing on buying things that really count in driving...tires, neccessary parts (not fancy hop-ups ), bodies when neccessary. But the only thing on my mind is a 20-30amp dishcarger...it's really hard to go race when you're using your charger as your discharger too. As for batteries i'm only going to spend on packs in the $50-$60 range.
axel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2005, 01:28 PM   #21
Tech Regular

Default Buy Used

Except for Radios and ESCs, I've picked up most of my chargers, dischargers, set-up tools, and pit stuff used. I've even bought at low mileage cars and snagged some great deals at 50% of market rates.

Ebay purchasing is much more risky than buying from this site as you really don't know the seller.

I just think you need to keep your head screwed on and avoid impulse purchases and bling-bling stuff.

You want some expensive sports - try motorcycles, bicycles, boats or kids!
Ducati-Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2005, 01:30 PM   #22
Tech Apprentice

I find it very relaxing. I've set up shop in my garage. Added tv and frig. I can spend hours down there. And it's always available, 24/7. Not all hobbies offer that.
As far as expense. What form of racing isn't expensive? This is by far the least expensive form of motor racing.
Priced a bass boat lately? Dirt bike? My wife paid over 4k for her bicycle. Most hobbies do become "expensive" once you've been hooked.
I feel it's money well spent, and I haven't mentioned all the great people I've met. Even the nerdie ones (this sport brings out the nerd in all of us). Everyone is so friendly and helpful. I meet someone new at everyrace. Now if only I could remember names. Hey, the friendships alone are worth the expense. The thill of racing is just a bonus.
Well,that's how I see anyway. Gotta go check on the ribs,
See ya, Tom
tmurf03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2005, 02:33 PM   #23
Tech Regular

For me the hobby is a chance to get away from the daily grind. Wife, kids, and a company can really beat you up. Before I started racing again I was wound up so tight I was taking out all my frustrations on the wife and kids, which is never a good thing. So to be able to relax I started racing again.

It personally has helped me alot and given me something to look forward to week after week. As far as the money part of it, it is very expensive. I actually pay cash for everything at the track so my wife doesn't know what I am actually spending on my RC stuff. When I think I'm going too far with what I am buying I will stop and go buy my kids something cool instead of the latest esc or whatever. If this hobby was taking away from my kids or wife, that would be the moment I stopped and got out. But since it's not and they always have what they need and want, I'll keep on racing!!!
nw racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2005, 05:12 PM   #24
Tech Addict

Send a message via AIM to josh69162

This hobby is expensive, but be glad we aren't running nitro (some of us, at least). 30 dollars a gallon for fuel, and then replacing your 60 dollar engine sleeve and piston every 3 gallons or so? At least we're able to pick up a 15 dollar armature instead of a whole new 30,40, or even 80 dollar motor. And once you get a good esc, charger, and discharger, it will be with you for years (for most of us, anyways). You say poor us... I say poor them .
-Josh
josh69162 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2005, 02:23 AM   #25
Tech Rookie

I have been in this hobby for 3 years even when I was in high school I got involved into Nitro on road cars and at that time I wasn't makeing any money at all to buy parts but I still was doing it because I love the hobby. When you get the RC bug constantly picking on you its allmost like an adiction because you want to start playing around with monster trucks or touring cars,planes,boats you name it. If you're serious about the hobby then you will stick to it whether or not stuff cost a bundle. Thats how I see it but then again thats me, everybody else has there own perspecitive on this hobby.
Rickster2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2005, 02:56 AM   #26
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Thats similar to my story. I started in high school, with no job, just racing for the fun of it and only buying things when I absolutely needed them. Then I finished high school and when to university, and found I kinda needed some cash to do things.

I had to leave racing for a while as my job was the same night as racing, but now I'm back as loving it as much as a did when I first started. As many people have said, I think people are only leaving because they have lost the passion for the hobby.

Ben
Old 07-05-2005, 08:58 AM   #27
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by b3n
... I think people are only leaving because they have lost the passion for the hobby.

Ben
So the only question remaining is- How can you do that?
-Josh
Old 07-05-2005, 07:16 PM   #28
Tech Adept

I agree, the ONLY reason to get out is if you aren't having fun.

I have taken a few breaks in the last 15 years. One time for nearly a year. I couldn't get away though. I never sold everything off, I always knew I would come back. After a short break, I always remember the good times, and forget all the bad stuff.

Now I have a 10 year old son who races with me. I like having a hobby that I can share with him. I hope this is something that he will stay interested in. It is very difficult to stay involved with your children as they become teenagers, I'd like to think this will help me with that.

I think one of the keys is to keep a level head about what you are spending. Be honest with yourself about your skill level and don't try to just spend your way to the next level. Have fun with where you are. You don't need to win the A Main every week to have fun.
gotpez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2005, 07:37 PM   #29
Tech Addict

What do you guys find fun about this hobby? I like having to think about what's going on, so you can get your car to hook up. The cool thing about it is that your not especially able to cheat. Most guys at the track won't just give you their set-up. And most likely it won't matter, because they are running a different car. It's rewarding knowing you did something all by yourself (most of the time, ).
-Josh
Old 07-05-2005, 07:46 PM   #30
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh69162
What do you guys find fun about this hobby? I like having to think about what's going on, so you can get your car to hook up. The cool thing about it is that your not especially able to cheat. Most guys at the track won't just give you their set-up. And most likely it won't matter, because they are running a different car. It's rewarding knowing you did something all by yourself (most of the time, ).
-Josh
relaxing. fun.
axel is offline   Reply With Quote