R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-29-2013, 05:23 AM   #1
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 168
Default Is it worth getting the Tamiya TRF417 v5 at this time (October 2013)

Hi guys,

I am new to RC car and I own a RTR car (with upgraded LiPo batts and brushless system) at the moment.

I have been playing with my RTR for about 3 months and I thought of building my first car through an assembly kit.

Assuming if I can get a new Tamiya TRF 417 v5 kit with a discount of about 17% off the retail price, is it worth buying it now as the new Tamiya TRF 418 will be out soon?

Thank you in advance.
Kakaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 06:18 AM   #2
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 264
Default

TRF417v5 is still and will be a very competitive car for a long time even after the 418 comes out, it comes down to if you want to have the newest kit or not.
PurcyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 07:11 AM   #3
Tech Champion
 
ThePanda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Michigan
Posts: 7,037
Trader Rating: 64 (100%+)
Default

Do you plan to race? Cuz if its your first car kit a trf car may not be for you. They are not simple kits.
ThePanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 07:46 AM   #4
Tech Master
 
OnRDPassion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: West LA
Posts: 1,185
Trader Rating: 54 (100%+)
Default

The 417V5 was my first Tamiya kit and was extremely pleased with it and still am. It's up to you if you are the type that needs the latest and greatest or you are ok with having a car that is one season old.
__________________
Jay Williams
Xray RX8 2014
RC America - Protoform Racing - KO Propo USA - Kevco Racing / Picco EDO Modified - Byrons Fuels
OnRDPassion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 08:04 AM   #5
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Kaohsiung City, Taiwan
Posts: 1,571
Send a message via ICQ to JiuHaWong
Default

Yes, it's a fine car.
__________________
오늘의 청소년들이 미래의 문제를 처리 할 준비가 병 슬프게도 있습니다 우려하고있다.
JiuHaWong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 08:28 AM   #6
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 168
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePanda View Post
Do you plan to race? Cuz if its your first car kit a trf car may not be for you. They are not simple kits.
Hi,

I do not plan to take part in racing competition (at least for now) as I'm still learning. I understand that TRF417v5 is a high end kit and if it is not suitable for a beginner, what is the recommended kit for a first timer? Is Yokomo BD7 RS (which is an intermediate kit) a better choice instead?

Thanks mate.
Kakaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 08:41 AM   #7
Tech Master
 
Mr.juarez's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 1,280
Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)
Default

I myself prefer the 417x with a v7 smokem kit.

417x $400 +80 for v7
417 v5 is $500?
418 eill be what 550-700 depending on demand?
__________________
TRF-417, KYOSHO SCR-SP
Mr.juarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 11:03 AM   #8
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 168
Default

Hi guys,

There are a few replied to my posted question on buying the tamiya trf417v5 kit and thank you for your prompt responses.

What do guys think of the intermediate rc car like Yokomo BD7vRS (which was just released last month) as compare with Tamiya TRF417v5 (which was release about this time last year, if I recall correctly)? The cost of a Tamiya TRF417v5 is about 45% more than the Yokomo BD7vRS. However, the opponents in the Tamiya TRF417v5 are mostly carbon fiber and aluminum.

As a first time kit builder, what would you recommend? Also, will the Tamiya TRF417v5 generate a wider turn, smooth turning, endure more crash and is more durable than Yokomo BD7vRS (which is unlike its predecessor BD7, no aluminum and some carbon fiber opponents (e.g. Front and rear damper stay are plastic and not carbon fiber) are taken out for hop-ons option). The reason I asked about wider turn, smooth turning, endure more crash is because my Kyosho EP Fazer RTR car (with LiPo batt and brushless 10.5T motor) is a great disappointment when I tried out running on the track lately. The turning was bad and some parts came off when it onto a minor crash.

In addition to build a smooth control and durable car, I would also like to take this opportunity to learn more about RC car through building a new car kit from scratch. As of now, there isn't much thing I can do much to my RTR.


I look forward to you guys precious advice again and thank you.
Kakaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 11:29 AM   #9
Tech Champion
 
RedBullFiXX's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Intergalactic Planetary
Posts: 6,542
Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kakaru View Post
Hi guys,

There are a few replied to my posted question on buying the tamiya trf417v5 kit and thank you for your prompt responses.

What do guys think of the intermediate rc car like Yokomo BD7vRS (which was just released last month) as compare with Tamiya TRF417v5 (which was release about this time last year, if I recall correctly)? The cost of a Tamiya TRF417v5 is about 45% more than the Yokomo BD7vRS. However, the opponents in the Tamiya TRF417v5 are mostly carbon fiber and aluminum.

As a first time kit builder, what would you recommend? Also, will the Tamiya TRF417v5 generate a wider turn, smooth turning, endure more crash and is more durable than Yokomo BD7vRS (which is unlike its predecessor BD7, no aluminum and some carbon fiber opponents (e.g. Front and rear damper stay are plastic and not carbon fiber) are taken out for hop-ons option). The reason I asked about wider turn, smooth turning, endure more crash is because my Kyosho EP Fazer RTR car (with LiPo batt and brushless 10.5T motor) is a great disappointment when I tried out running on the track lately. The turning was bad and some parts came off when it onto a minor crash.

In addition to build a smooth control and durable car, I would also like to take this opportunity to learn more about RC car through building a new car kit from scratch. As of now, there isn't much thing I can do much to my RTR.


I look forward to you guys precious advice again and thank you.
2nd Paragraph...
http://www.redrc.net/2013/10/201314-...rt/#more-73108
__________________
--> 12th scale Information Source <--

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old; they grow old because they quit playing."
― Oliver Wendell Holmes Jr.
RedBullFiXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 11:45 AM   #10
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Montreal, Canada
Posts: 319
Trader Rating: 4 (83%+)
Default

the BD7rs is a money pit... If you relly want a Yokomo take the BD7 !

the TRF 418 is a copy of Yokomo BD7
__________________
Xray T4 2017
Yokomo BD7 2015 Spice FWD
VBC FF17 FWD
VBC FXM F-1
Roche evo 2017 F-1
Quinny45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 11:57 AM   #11
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 264
Default

My first touring car was a schumacher mi5, 2nd was a bd7 RS

the BD7S is not a money pit if you use it out of the box like intended, on 17.5t outdoors, however indoors it struggles, add boost, it dies, mine did so had to get metal spool n pullies and now is smooth as silk, the bd7RS is good for those who want a bit of a project and like to "hop up" models as it were.
PurcyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 12:01 PM   #12
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 129
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Having recently entered in the RC car fray myself, I decided to build a 417 (Kit 44220) which I also know is not the normal progression for a newbie. I do think you will find the higher end kits to be more durable as you pointed out. So far the only thing I've broken is the Speed Control, and a Mazda 6 body shell, though I'm on my second bumper and have 2 more at the ready if I need them. The ESC was my fault when I reversed the polarity (lesson: don't work on your car and watch the World Series at the same time). I can say the building and constant tweaking of these cars is the fun part so I have no regrets at all building a kit like this, its been a blast.

My suggestions would be as follows, and please remember these are coming from a fellow newbie.
First: find out what brands and parts the local hobby store or track carries. Turns out most of the guys in my area run either Xray or TOP kits so the track has parts and hop-ups for them but not a lot for Tamiya runners. Had I realized this I would have either bought an Xray T4 or a TOP Photon EX.
Second: make friends with the guys at the local track and have them help out with set up questions and handling issues. I've had the local guys try my car out and make some changes that have really helped. Especially with the radio which I had left at the preset settings and wasn't making things any easier for me.
Third: Stock up on Shims and Screws (and bumpers) as you will loose these from time to time, it seems to me that when a screw comes loose it doesn't take long before it works its way completely out and you're wondering where it went. I've since learned to stop every 20 to 30 minutes of practice time to check that everything is still tight and accounted for. Also a good set of tools goes a long way.
Fourth: get track time as often as you can, you'll be surprised at how quickly you can improve by just getting time on the track. I'm getting to the point where I may need a transponder so I can get an idea of the lap times I'm turning.

Just my $.02 but I'm sure the others here will have some terrific suggestions for you as well.

Cheers
__________________
Cheers, Jeff
c2tcardin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 12:04 PM   #13
Tech Prophet
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Tega Cay, SC / Charlotte
Posts: 15,137
Trader Rating: 1069 (100%+)
Default

If you are not going to race and want to play out doors on the street any of the Carbon Fiber based cars are a waste of cash. Realize these types of cars are designed to run a ride height of 5-6mm. In the street you will hit every pebble, rock, manhole cover etc. They are expensive to maintain and are more fragile than something made for fun in the street.
__________________
Less warning labels... more Darwin!
EZ Customs Paint / Xtreme RC
ON ROAD: XRAY T4 '15 USVTA/USGT X1 F1 , OFF ROAD RB6
and for those that don't know me.. I'm a sarcastic A DBL S
Dave Cates Founder of www.GO-RCing.org
bigwavedave33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 12:13 PM   #14
Tech Champion
 
ThePanda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Michigan
Posts: 7,037
Trader Rating: 64 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigwavedave33 View Post
If you are not going to race and want to play out doors on the street any of the Carbon Fiber based cars are a waste of cash. Realize these types of cars are designed to run a ride height of 5-6mm. In the street you will hit every pebble, rock, manhole cover etc. They are expensive to maintain and are more fragile than something made for fun in the street.
Yep, a good alternative is the ta06 pro, or a nice ta05
ThePanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 12:26 PM   #15
Tech Champion
 
RedBullFiXX's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Intergalactic Planetary
Posts: 6,542
Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigwavedave33 View Post
If you are not going to race and want to play out doors on the street any of the Carbon Fiber based cars are a waste of cash. Realize these types of cars are designed to run a ride height of 5-6mm. In the street you will hit every pebble, rock, manhole cover etc. They are expensive to maintain and are more fragile than something made for fun in the street.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePanda View Post
Yep, a good alternative is the ta06 pro, or a nice ta05
+1
__________________
--> 12th scale Information Source <--

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old; they grow old because they quit playing."
― Oliver Wendell Holmes Jr.
RedBullFiXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 05:53 PM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net