R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 08-31-2002, 08:52 AM   #16
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

stock racing is not "affordable" if you want to win.
I can make a mod motor last a heck of alot longer than a stocker
RandyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2002, 09:35 AM   #17
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Everyone will have their own opinions about this topic but if everyone is talking about gearing properly (12th scale style) to make the brushes and motors last longer but what about the people that have the money or sponsored guys that have the big companies behind them that can put on a new set of brushes every run or change their motors out all of the time? This same thing we're talking about right now is the same thing we went through when mod was bumped up to 5min, 10 turn motor limit, and when the 3,000 came into the picture.

To be honest..........if racers needed a 3300 battery to make run time for 6min stock race then that's very sad. There are guys that are making 5 min races with 2000 and 2400. 3000 should be all that's needed to make 6min. I think that the 3300 might be geared more towards the mod guys but who knows??????
Old 08-31-2002, 09:37 AM   #18
RCTech Member #2

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to TSR6

I really think that the 6 minute races is something that could slowly be phased in.

5 minute heats, with a 6 minute main? That might be the way to go. You would only need one good battery pack for the main.

2000's will be a thing of the past. Most, and i do say most, of the "sportsman" racers that i have seen are using sport 2400 stick packs. I still use a 2000 pack for practice and sometimes a heat on the occasion that i don't have another pack cooled to charge.

We all know many people will practice for 6 minutes.. I know i'm guilty. Charge up a 3000H practice pack and if the car is working, go run till it dumps...

-Troy
RCTech Member #2

The postings and views expressed on this site are my own and do not necessarily reflect the positions, strategies, or opinions of any company I may be employed by.
TSR6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2002, 09:38 AM   #19
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally posted by Sigearhead
I'm all for 6 minute races. If you have to gear a little different that's fine, if you have to use different brushes, that's fine too, I love to race and the longer the better. 6 minutes isn't bad, and really in my opinion the reason a lot of newcomers start out in nitro is because they like to run longer and nitro let's them do that while electric is always 5 minutes regardless. Even with 3000 sportpacks or whatever 6 minutes is very durable. I use GreenMachines whenever I run stock and if you gear them right you will never burn one and you can definitely run 6 minutes I don't car what motor you have.
I agree that new comers run nitro because of the longer run times but out my way the most popular answer is because "I don't have to cut my comm or replace brushes all of the time" If all they have to do is just re fuel the motor instead of cutting and replacing then that's a no brainer IMO
Old 08-31-2002, 09:41 AM   #20
RCTech Member #2

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to TSR6

Quote:
Originally posted by STLNLST

I agree that new comers run nitro because of the longer run times but out my way the most popular answer is because "I don't have to cut my comm or replace brushes all of the time" If all they have to do is just re fuel the motor instead of cutting and replacing then that's a no brainer IMO
Over the summer, I ran the HPI Challenge, and ran my Nitro for the first time in about a year.

It was honestly a nice break from electric. I didn't even need half the stuff i need for electric. So thats the biggest plus side of nitro. Take half the stuff to the track, and fix stuff half the time.
RCTech Member #2

The postings and views expressed on this site are my own and do not necessarily reflect the positions, strategies, or opinions of any company I may be employed by.
TSR6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2002, 10:59 AM   #21
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally posted by TSR6

Over the summer, I ran the HPI Challenge, and ran my Nitro for the first time in about a year.

It was honestly a nice break from electric. I didn't even need half the stuff i need for electric. So thats the biggest plus side of nitro. Take half the stuff to the track, and fix stuff half the time.
No turbo 30 to haul around, no batteries, stock/mod motors, brush box, etc...... I only take my power supply and pit bull in case my receiver batteries need recharging. Other than that it's just the car radio fuel tire's and a few spare parts. There's pro's and cons to everything. The gas cars are built to take a better beating compared to electric.
Old 08-31-2002, 11:14 AM   #22
Tech Initiate

Last edited by Cube; 12-23-2008 at 11:13 PM.
Cube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2002, 01:57 PM   #23
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 68 (100%+)

1700's, 2000's, 2400's are a thing of the past at our track. Our classes are so competitive, I guarantee you will not keep up unless you don't mind being in the d main all the time.
Sigearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2002, 05:51 PM   #24
Tech Rookie

Default Hey

Quote:
Originally posted by RandyB
make stock into 19turn and then bump up to 6min.
that would be fun it you could get the run time!

I agree, No way would I want to run my stocker motors for 6 min. can you say hot!!!!!
RandyB,

Yo, it's Paul!! good to see ya!!
I agree, lets make 19t stock!!!
matrixXRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2002, 06:03 PM   #25
Tech Regular

Send a message via AIM to Evil_S10

I personally am not ready for stock racing to move up to 6 minutes. Most of us dont have the money to move right along with technology as of yet. I am having trouble with 2400's making it 5 minutes. But I guess in maybe less than a year or two, people will probably be ready to go six minutes. But for right now let them go for 5.
Evil_S10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2002, 07:55 PM   #26
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

You guys have got to be kidding me about 1700's and 2000's making runtime!! I used to run my 1700's and 2000 packs in Japan for Mod class. I'm thinking it was 5 minutes. I used to practice with my 1700's and get over 6 minutes with my 12 turn mod. And as for cost driving up for new comers.. I don't see that. There are plenty of cheap 2400 and 3000 packs out there. And the newbies here practice until their batteries die out after 8 or so minutes. I guess this would be more of a location deal. All depends on where people race or what race track. Our track used to be 4 minute electric. We all voted for 5 minutes for Stock. But I like one thing said.... qualifying could be 5 minutes with a 6 minute main. That would be nice. This will keep the race day about the same length with just a couple minutes added in there.

I notice the cons now. People worried about overheating motors. (usually a summer thing.) My motors don't get hot at all during Spring or Winter months. Unless if I'm on carpet. And runtime which I really don't think is an issue. We still have people racing offroad with 2000 packs for 5 minutes. I did it in truck class with 1700s. Anyways, keep the comments coming!
JimmyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2002, 06:39 AM   #27
Tech Elite

Can I just say that the concept of 5 minute qualifiers and 6 minute mains is the craziest thing imaginable in electric racing.

All your gearing setup for 5 minutes, which you fine tuned during the qualifiers, may as well be thrown out of the window.
sosidge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2002, 02:51 PM   #28
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Why not just leave things as they are? We finally have batteries that make a really strong finish in stock for 5 minutes. You can get cheap packs and always make time. The motors do ok at 5 minutes, and everything is good. Getting into longer races will just make all of the nice things disappear. I know that they may not be visible at every track, but if you race with top level drivers it will be very real to you. If your just kicking around at a local place, just ask if you can go to 6 minute races. i for one, dont want longer races.

"Failior [sic] crowns enterprise." Robert Goddard

I-Lap Scoring Systems http://www.rclapcounter.com/
robk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2002, 03:18 PM   #29
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to BigDogRacing

Hey RobK- that's a pretty serious statement in your signature. Do you have proof that someone was cheating at a national level? I don't know about anyone else, but I'm interested to see who you're pointing the finger at...
BigDogRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2002, 03:39 PM   #30
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to David Galdo Send a message via AIM to David Galdo Send a message via MSN to David Galdo Send a message via Yahoo to David Galdo

I know at the track I manage racers are looking for more run time. I usually give them a fourth round but thought a 6 minute race would make things a bit more challenging. So far, there are some that want to try a 6 min race so we will see how it all works out.

Last edited by RCCadet; 09-01-2002 at 03:50 PM.
David Galdo is offline   Reply With Quote