R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road-2/)
-   -   Can armature combo's (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road/768-can-armature-combos.html)

Sandor 10-02-2001 03:09 AM

Can armature combo's

Hi all,
Does anyone ever try an Orion armature in a Ti-can? How did it perform?

If you have ever tried some other combo's then let us know how they worked!

Greeting

Speedo 10-02-2001 07:24 AM

hehe, good question. I put a P2K arm in a GM3 can, and on the dyno it comes up just like a GM3, cept on the track it doesn't go POOF!

JesseT 10-02-2001 08:15 AM

Sandor, that should be the best combo available. Ti can has the best magnets by far (measured) and the Orion has quality high-rev armatures. The new Orion Core motors will have the same powerful magnets if you want to wait a couple of weeks.
BR/ JesseT

MattW 10-02-2001 11:11 AM

Jesse is correct.

I have been running Fantom high RPM arms in Fantom Ti cans. That wouldn't be that far away from the orion in Ti can. It seems to work very well.

Darkseid 10-02-2001 11:54 AM

I mixed a P2K armarature with a ParadoxPro can. It produced quite a good motor.

The motor is illegal for sanctioned racing, but most club races aren't that strict.

Sandor 10-02-2001 11:20 PM

That's great, thanks for the info

I forgot to mention I was thinking about mod motors.

antoniop 10-03-2001 04:07 AM

Corally 10x3 arm

Corally 10x3 arm on a D4 can resulted in a very very bad motor.

Low eff, low power and low rpm (dyno tested)

The same arm on a Orion Pro 2 BB can :

Much better eff
Higher rpm all the way
Faster spin to max
More power and torque

The same arm on a Peak Aurora can:

Same eff
Little less rpm
More torque
Same power

The motor is ballistic. I can run it against 8 and 9 motors and keep up the pace easy. The more torque results in more acceleration coming out of curves. Very difficult to catch.

Sandor 10-03-2001 04:48 AM

As far as I can understand is the only difference between cans the strength of the magnetic field. There is not something like a rpm or torque can. Does this mean that simply the can with the strongest field is the best?

I have hear sometime that for high speeds a less strong magnetic field is better?

Big magnetic fields are good for torque armatures?

TimPotter 10-03-2001 05:25 AM

I had some pretty good experience with my Integy Jett ...Atlas Can with a Speedgems 9t ARM... D 3.5 I do believe. I do not have a dyno, but it sure was good. Lots of power. I called it my 9t FRANKEN(insert last name here)...

MattW 10-03-2001 03:10 PM

Generally higher strength magnets should provide more torque. THis works in reverse, in that weaker magnets should have more rpm. This is a little crude as the armature stack will have probably a larger bearing on the overall effect.

JesseT 10-03-2001 11:17 PM

The magnetic field reverses in the iron stacks in a finite time. Therefore more iron in the armature produces more torque, but limts the revs. I believe the strength of the magnets do the same. I guess someone has wondered why we are using so much bigger pinions with even hotter motors than some 10years ago. It's not all down to batteries, but also the magnets. One other thing that varies a little between cans is the airgap. That has a huge effect!