R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 10-27-2013, 06:40 PM   #1
Tech Rookie

Default Best RTR for under $400?

So I'm looking to get into on-road. Had a Revo 3.3 a couple years ago, don't want to spend that much again so I'm looking at on-road. Also because there's a good amount of local support and events for it.

Anyway, looking to spend $400 (on the RTR itself, not including LiPo's, charger, etc.) on a new RTR. Looking for brushless. I will be doing touring, and will also want something I can set up for drifting, though most can be set up for that. My top choice right now is a HPI Sprint 2 Flux, I'm open to ideas though. What do you guys think?
revrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 06:50 PM   #2
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

How about an AE Apex?

http://www.teamassociated.com/cars_and_trucks/Apex/RTR/

If you do plan on racing, I'd suggest picking up an AE TC4...
jjjheimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 07:52 PM   #3
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to valk Send a message via AIM to valk Send a message via MSN to valk

If you wanna race, spend more.

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...z-Radio-System

I probably wouldnt get a sprint 2 for more than bashing in the street. there is also the team magic e4d which can be setup for drift or tc racing but it is brushed. only $250 though with 2.4ghz.

if $400 is an absolute budget and you wanna race, id have a look around our classifieds for used electronics, rollers and radio gear. you will get much more for your money that way.
if you just dont wanna bother though, the serpent is probably the best option.

edit:
sorry not e4d, but this the e4jr
http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...ic-Touring-Car

then you would wanna buy the oneway and rear solid axle for the e4d to swap in and out for racing and playing.
www.irocc.ca - www.wcics.ca - www.vrcworld.com - http://proampsrc.com/ - www.teamassociated.com
valk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 08:24 PM   #4
Tech Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjjheimer View Post
How about an AE Apex?

If you do plan on racing, I'd suggest picking up an AE TC4...
I was eyeing the TC4. Apex doesn't look all that great, to me that looked like a step down from the Sprint 2, no?

Quote:
Originally Posted by valk View Post
If you wanna race, spend more.

I probably wouldnt get a sprint 2 for more than bashing in the street. there is also the team magic e4d which can be setup for drift or tc racing but it is brushed. only $250 though with 2.4ghz.

if $400 is an absolute budget and you wanna race, id have a look around our classifieds for used electronics, rollers and radio gear. you will get much more for your money that way.
if you just dont wanna bother though, the serpent is probably the best option.

edit:
sorry not e4d, but this the e4jr

then you would wanna buy the oneway and rear solid axle for the e4d to swap in and out for racing and playing.
That S411 looks really nice. How is the ESC/motor on it? Tunable at all, what kind of speed expected on 2S? What about parts availability? I can't find much info on it.

Last edited by revrunner; 10-27-2013 at 08:35 PM.
Old 10-27-2013, 09:03 PM   #5
Tech Rookie

Also found a guy local selling a good looking RS4 converted to brushless for $250, minus transmitter/receiver. That's kind of a dated chassis though right?
Old 10-27-2013, 09:07 PM   #6
Suspended

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Anything used over $80 is not a good deal....
Best to find a tc4 roller for $50 or less, and adding the dc4 le CF kit(trimmed) to it for $200.....
bertrandsv87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 09:20 PM   #7
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 65 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by revrunner View Post
don't want to spend that much again so I'm looking at on-road. Also because there's a good amount of local support and events for it
On road is not "Cheaper" in anyway. I could argue that it is more expensive actually.

for 400 I would look used. People seem to like to use cars for a season, then sell them at the end, I would look into one of those.

A very nice car can be had on the cheap.
ThePanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 12:04 AM   #8
Tech Elite

Send a message via ICQ to valk Send a message via AIM to valk Send a message via MSN to valk

honestly, if racing is even remotely on your radar, id avoid rtrs almost entirely. the only classes you will be allowed to run those cars in would be modified. depending on your driving skills that could turn you off racing entirely.
rtrs are all gonna be plastic cars with too much horsepower lol.
id avoid the tc4 unless you wanna race 17.5 or slower turn classes. it CAN be raced in modified but you will likely be replacing a lot of stuff and who knows how much longer the car will be supported. also it doesn't have the optimized suspension you would get with a newer car.

electronics don't have to cost a mint. i put a $350 car together to race 17.5 just to see what you get. raced it directly with $1000 cars and it worked just fine. id still look to get into a used racing chassis from 2011 or newer though.

you really would be surprised what you can get around $400 in the classifieds. id be surprised if you couldnt get a roller with electrics. just drop in receiver. you would be much happier with that i think. just add a $60-$100 spectrum.

I will say, if you wanna race; go to the track you wanna race and talk to people. if you are really set on an rtr, you need to find out what they will let you run on their track in competition. some clubs are more anal about rules than others.
www.irocc.ca - www.wcics.ca - www.vrcworld.com - http://proampsrc.com/ - www.teamassociated.com
valk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 12:27 AM   #9
Tech Adept

Send a message via Skype™ to TChan

If your looking for competitive racing than just disregard the RTR scene. I ended up doing the wrong choice by buying the Cyclone S (an old discontinued RTR from i think mid 2000's) and thinking i wasnt going to upgrade it. Upgrading the cars will b like bitch in ur wallet so the smart way to go is to buy a top of the line car imo. Going to the top of the line cars theres not much u can upgrade for example an HB TCX or TCXX you can find a good one for about 500 or 550 around there. But if you are sure you will keep the hobby than go all out. Otherwise just stick with a RTR for the streets like a sprint 2 or something like that.

Oh BTW the AE cars arent bad because a lot of the hobby shops have their parts.
Old 10-28-2013, 08:39 AM   #10
Tech Regular

There is so much bad advice here. Let's sort through it for a moment...

If you want to race and only race, get a racecar. However, if you're just jumping in and want to get a feel for it, you can get most any RTR and be more than okay. The Team Associated Apex is a great option as well as the HPI you mentioned. The key is getting something that has a relatively low pricepoint that you can grow into. A newbie shouldn't be buying an Xray or another high priced racecar to start with. Most likely, any tub car should work for what you are looking for. Go to the track you want to run at and see what they carry parts for. Then, decide what you want to do. If I may, I'd also throw Tamiya and their TT-02 into the mix.

Sure, some will critique and criticize RTRs and plastic tub cars for lack of adjustment and weight... HOWEVER, if you're just starting out, you need to learn how to drive and control what you have. I was and have been very happy with my Tamiya TT cars. Would I use them for 17.5 or mod racing? No. Then again, I wouldn't be using anything except for a high end touring car for those classes. Ultimately, you need to decide what you want to accomplish. If you want a low price point to jump into onroad, just buy whatever your local store can get parts for. You need to teach yourself to drive, not spend time making crazy adjustments and destroying a carbon fiber car.

Been in your shoes, done that before, and that's why I write and contribute on RCNewb.com ... to try and help answer questions like this rather than starting a brand or dollar amount flame war. Best of luck to you RevRunner... I'm sure you'll find what you need.
Need belts or parts? I can help.
SWs, RWs, XX-4s, XXX-S
jhwnissan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 09:33 AM   #11
Tech Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhwnissan View Post

If you want to race and only race, get a racecar. However, if you're just jumping in and want to get a feel for it, you can get most any RTR and be more than okay. The Team Associated Apex is a great option as well as the HPI you mentioned. The key is getting something that has a relatively low pricepoint that you can grow into. A newbie shouldn't be buying an Xray or another high priced racecar to start with. Most likely, any tub car should work for what you are looking for. Go to the track you want to run at and see what they carry parts for. Then, decide what you want to do. If I may, I'd also throw Tamiya and their TT-02 into the mix.

Sure, some will critique and criticize RTRs and plastic tub cars for lack of adjustment and weight... HOWEVER, if you're just starting out, you need to learn how to drive and control what you have. I was and have been very happy with my Tamiya TT cars. Would I use them for 17.5 or mod racing? No. Then again, I wouldn't be using anything except for a high end touring car for those classes. Ultimately, you need to decide what you want to accomplish. If you want a low price point to jump into onroad, just buy whatever your local store can get parts for. You need to teach yourself to drive, not spend time making crazy adjustments and destroying a carbon fiber car.

Been in your shoes, done that before, and that's why I write and contribute on RCNewb.com ... to try and help answer questions like this rather than starting a brand or dollar amount flame war. Best of luck to you RevRunner... I'm sure you'll find what you need.
And this is what I was thinking. I know how it is to just recommend getting the best thing because of the long term, I tend to suggest the same for guys getting into car audio as I have some decent stuff in that area, but I'm not sure I want to devote that much to it. Not sure I will go full blown racing rig, and compete on a big level. For now, I would just like a solid setup that has some decent potential.

So I am looking at either the HPI Sprint 2 Flux or the Serpent S411 right now. Again, still open to suggestions, and I'm looking around the classifieds as well. Problem is there's soooo many and I don't really know what to look for, what models.

I have two Mom & Pop LHS's, only visited one so far, and he recommended against anything HPI because of them being bought out earlier this year and the lack of parts availability or something like that. On one hand, I can get parts online, but he's a cool guy and I'd like to support him. I was in there kinda quick and didn't really see what he recommended, but I will go back and see. Also need to visit the other one and see what they recommend.

I also have a HobbyTown USA nearby, and they stock HPI stuff.

So I think as of now the Serpent looks good if I can get parts locally. Seems like a solid (and better than the Sprint 2) chassis that I can build up to be better if I get the racing itch.

Thanks for the replies.
Old 10-28-2013, 09:37 AM   #12
Tech Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhwnissan View Post

This is one of the best answer here.

Now i'll talk for me, i was in the same situation a month ago, i have always been a off road guy, but my friends start running touring cause the off road track is to far away and the on-road track is 20 min away from us.

I was not gonna get a RTR cause that is worthless for racing, so i need a good kit on the cheap (cause i don't like to spend much on some things) but i want something that can be upgraded and given that i already have remote, lipos and charger, like you, and i just need the kit, a body a electronics.

I choose:

Sakura XI sport: $120
ESC: Hobby king xcar 120A $35
Motor: Turnigy trackstar 8.5T $32
Body: Protoform mazdaspedd 6 $24
Servo: Solar d771 $17
Total: $250 (with some ramdon things i bought)

Also you can get used kits on ebay for really good price.
symon_say is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 09:47 AM   #13
Tech Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by symon_say View Post
This is one of the best answer here.

Now i'll talk for me, i was in the same situation a month ago, i have always been a off road guy, but my friends start running touring cause the off road track is to far away and the on-road track is 20 min away from us.

I was not gonna get a RTR cause that is worthless for racing, so i need a good kit on the cheap (cause i don't like to spend much on some things) but i want something that can be upgraded and given that i already have remote, lipos and charger, like you, and i just need the kit, a body a electronics.

I choose:

Sakura XI sport: $120
ESC: Hobby king xcar 120A $35
Motor: Turnigy trackstar 8.5T $32
Body: Protoform mazdaspedd 6 $24
Servo: Solar d771 $17
Total: $250 (with some ramdon things i bought)

Also you can get used kits on ebay for really good price.
I just want to clarify that I have nothing right now. If I wrote I have a radio that's my fault, I think I just mentioned that the LHS had a kit minus radio for sale. Also mentioned that my $400 price was for car minus batteries and charger, but I don't have those yet either.

But I'm not against piecing things together. The only problem is I don't know what's good and what's not for the most part. That will come with research and time though.
Old 10-28-2013, 10:07 AM   #14
Tech Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by revrunner View Post
I just want to clarify that I have nothing right now. If I wrote I have a radio that's my fault, I think I just mentioned that the LHS had a kit minus radio for sale. Also mentioned that my $400 price was for car minus batteries and charger, but I don't have those yet either.

But I'm not against piecing things together. The only problem is I don't know what's good and what's not for the most part. That will come with research and time though.
I think you have those basics, given that you had the revo.

But anyway, a RTR is good start, but most of the thing a RTR have are worthless when you start outgrowing the car, and want to upgrade, but there are some basics kits that como RTR or ARTR like the TT-01.

But any ways, if i were you i'll get a car that can be upgraded as you grow, to complement what i have already recommended:

Remote: flysky GT3C $51 (you have to check if this remote is allowed on your race track)
Battery: SMC 6000mah 65C, $40
Charger: Imax B6 $25
symon_say is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 10:21 AM   #15
Tech Regular

I have 2 HPI Sprint 2 Flux. For beginners, they are great. They have a good amount of option/upgrade parts and they are relatively low-cost. I've found them to be quite durable and when something does need replaced/repaired its been cheap to do so. Haven't had any issues with lack of parts except in the body and wheel departments, but that's because HPI bodies and wheel are some of the most popular out there.
The S2 Flux will serve its purpose for learning how to race, but it's not likely to "compete" for various reasons. Do some quick/cheap mods to the chassis and it's much nicer than out-of-the box, but even straight out of the box it's good for bashing and learning basics.
wareagle84 is offline   Reply With Quote