R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 10-24-2013, 09:01 PM   #1
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default LRP Tyre Additives

I'm looking to determine which is the best control additive to allow on a new CRC roll-out carpet track. Our local hobby shop is basically the Australian LRP importer, and we have a good relationship with them, so an LRP additive seems like a good option.

I've been thinking about LRP Top Grip 2. Which I've heard good things about, but now I see there is LRP Top Grip 3 as well.

Not everyone at the club is in favour of allowing traction compound, so I want to make sure I'm recommending something that ticks all the boxes, and allays their fears about smell or greasyness etc.

Ideally it should:
  • Work well with both rubber and foam.
  • Have a good applicator and not be messy to apply.
  • Last a good while and not be expensive.
  • Be odourless.
  • Produce consistent track conditions each time the carpet is rolled out.

Based on those criteria, which is the best compound to use? I noticed Top Grip 3 is being touted as a "Green Formula" and is apparently environmentally friendly. What other differences can I expect?

I'm told Top Grip 2 works ok on Asphalt as well. Can the same be said for Top Grip 3? There is an asphalt track in our area, and members cross-over.

Lastly, we would also consider a control tyre for club racing on the TCs. I believe there is an LRP tyre ideally suited, but I don't know the part number. Can anyone help me out?
Australian 12th Scale hastag: #EP12AU
Radio Active is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 12:08 AM   #2
Tech Elite

I doubt you would be able to get reliable supplies of LRP 2, LRP 3 is effectively the replacement.

LRP definitely has the best applicator bottle of all the brands. The additive is odourless (Low odour). It works pretty well on carpet with rubber but I don't see it used with foam very often. I have used the old version outdoors but for some reason the one time I used the new one outdoors the car was terrible (might have been some other unknown reason for that though).

Haven't run any of the recent LRP tyres so couldn't comment. UK racing is now almost exclusively on Sorex, mainly because they work really well.
sosidge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 01:33 AM   #3
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I am using LRP additives mostly, because of my participation in the LRP-HPI-Challenge. Loved the Top Grip Carpet 2 very much for Stock. I compared it to AME, CS and other additives and always returned to LRP. The TGC3 in comparison to the 2 allows you to let the car roll better through the corners. All of our drivers/members prefer the 3 over the 2. So I can recommend the LRP additives indoors

Top Grip Asphalt works fine on our (in the beginning dusty) low grip outdoor track, too (the rubber tire drivers always warm their tires). When driving foam I never use tire additive for my TC. For F1 on foam tires I once did and there was a clearly noticeable grip gain.
Old 10-25-2013, 02:36 AM   #4
Tech Elite

It does sound like you're trying to cover too many bases with one product, 'Jack of all trades, master of none' is a phrase that springs to mind.

The outdoor track you use, do nitro cars run there as well and have you tried carpet additive there before?
wlrc.co.uk (West London Racing Centre)
RCDisco.co.uk
Skiddins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 05:56 AM   #5
Tech Regular

I have been testing LRP 3 as i had no choice but to move to a "water based" additive.

On my yokomo r12c3 it compliments very well from the beginning of the evening till the end, however becomes to aggressive if you apply to front tyres. The additive provides a high level of grip but not enough to start grip roll, in my case anyway and overall very pleased with the results, applying to foam tyres however with the applicator is not that easy and is easy to be patchy with application.

On rubber sorex's in my opinion not strong enough, grip was a struggle throughout the whole day and requires a very obvious black groove in the track to provide any grip, it was less of an issue as the day went on and as the race was coming to a close, but the first couple of minutes of a race was a struggle for me anyway.
application on rubber tyres is very painless.

my finding thus far on carpet.
PurcyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 06:09 AM   #6
Tech Elite

People are still using LRP etc but one of the most common is now Spider Grip Green for carpet.
There is also an Orange, which is for asphalt and a blue, which is less powerful than Green.
Dave Spashett hand a hand in their development.
It isn't the cheapest, but the tins it comes in are bigger than the CS High Grip etc.
wlrc.co.uk (West London Racing Centre)
RCDisco.co.uk
Skiddins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 06:26 AM   #7
Tech Regular

Yeah Zen racing spider grip has proven to be VERY popular

once im out of LRP 3 i will go over to spider and give it a go.
PurcyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 05:44 PM   #8
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Thanks for the responses so far.

Recommendations of other things that aren't in Australia aren't really that useful though. It's important that we select something that is able to be carried by the LHS. They import LRP, HB, HPI and Durango as far as RC brands go, so that's the selection we'll have to work from.

Perhaps I was a little ambitious in my first post, whether or not the compound works well on asphalt is a side issue. If it does, it's a nice bonus, nothing more. What's most important is that we get something that will work with foam and rubber on CRC carpet, is odourless, has a decent applicator so it won't be messy, and won't cost an arm and a leg.

I was shown a bottle of Top Grip 2 on the weekend by a racer using it for asphalt, and was happy with the applicator. The guy using it, who isn't really a fan of compound in general, said it was basically the best as far as applicator was concerned. So, I'm happy on that front.

We don't need the best performing compound, because the idea is that it will be a control, one compound set-up. So, I just need to make sure that Top Grip 3 is going to work well enough on carpet for foam and rubber for the racing to be enjoyable in all classes. If it's not then I need something else from either LRP's or HPI/HB's range.
Australian 12th Scale hastag: #EP12AU
Radio Active is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 11:48 PM   #9
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Just to point out, TopGrip Carpet3 was the control additive at AOC in Melbourne... Tc on rubbers, and 12th on foam. Worked plenty fine there...
Old 10-28-2013, 12:43 AM   #10
Tech Adept

Send a message via Skype™ to TChan

Quote:
Originally Posted by TryHard View Post
Just to point out, TopGrip Carpet3 was the control additive at AOC in Melbourne... Tc on rubbers, and 12th on foam. Worked plenty fine there...
Ed how was aoc? Did jj do good?