R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 08-30-2002, 01:04 PM   #16
Tech Elite

Default Re: New Products Again!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by Doug Gaut
New technology is great but couldnt we slow down to maybe 1 new battery and 1 new motor style a year so we can wear out the racing gear we already have?
Actually, you dont have to buy all this new stuff

I think it depends a lot on temper and the club you come to. We have 4 clubs around here. Two of them are quite bad. People dont talk to each other and if you dont have the right stuff, you're a zero. The two others are much better.

Our club is casual and semi-competitive. A good laugh count more, than the latest hi-tec gear. The hobby is what you make it to yourself.
Cole Trickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2002, 01:38 PM   #17

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by Boomer

I wonder if it will go back to the all around champ of the P2K or just be another P2K2. . .(never really liked that thing. . .)
I get the impression that the new stock motor is supposed to be more along the lines of a GM3 rather than a strong all-around motor like the P2k/P2k2.
MarkA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2002, 01:44 PM   #18
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

I have to agree!! I'm tired as well of all the "new and improved". I run a paradox stocker from the on road carpet nat's and my good 'ol redy 2000's and I still clean house. I think we've hit a point of diminishing returns You can buy a 3300pack now...for what??!! So yo can have an extra .05 volts per pack for an extra 20 seconds-STUPID! As for me, I like coming to a track with my 2 yr old batts. an obsolete paradox and my 3 yr. old obsolete lrp sr esc and dropping the hammer. I hat to sound negative,but give me a break. There really hasn't been a significant advance in motor tech. since the p2k(hopefully when we see the new reedy motor). I don't know, maybe I'm a little bitter or a technophobe, I'll ask my gynecologist--Al
Keepin' it real with my M11x
big al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2002, 02:06 PM   #19
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by ruf
I thought flat/square wire was illegal for ROAR/IFMAR.
Will check the book when i get home. Maybe they just break-it-down by AWG size regardless of shape, but then you would think they would have taken the same concept over to the new stocker also..there has to be a reason why only the MOD has this new tech.

Interesting concept though. Kinda like ice-skaters. When they twirl/spin, the closer proximity their arms are to their body, the faster they spin. As their arms extend their spinning/twirling slows down.
Old 08-30-2002, 02:16 PM   #20
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 71 (100%+)

The flat wire is illegal for stock motors but not for modified. Unless the printed version of the ROAR rulebook is different than what is on line.

You never know when it will strike, but there comes a moment at work when you know that you just aren't going to do anything productive for the rest of the day.

Sometimes I post just to look at my avatar.
Kraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2002, 02:22 PM   #21
ruf
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to ruf

Ah that's probably it. Thanks guys.

The thing is that you also have to take into account magnetic field. Having the windings closer to the center and farther from the magnets will have a definite effect on the field strength. Flat wire will also allow less wire to be used so an 8 turn is like a 7.8 turn. Current also travels in wire differently depending on the frequency. IIRC, high frequency tends to travel on the surface of a wire - "skin" effect. A flat wire of the same cross-sectional area would have more surface area or "skin" for high frequency current to travel on. Just some thoughts and theories that may or may not apply.

Quote:
Originally posted by OSherman

Will check the book when i get home. Maybe they just break-it-down by AWG size regardless of shape, but then you would think they would have taken the same concept over to the new stocker also..there has to be a reason why only the MOD has this new tech.

Interesting concept though. Kinda like ice-skaters. When they twirl/spin, the closer proximity their arms are to their body, the faster they spin. As their arms extend their spinning/twirling slows down.
Old 08-30-2002, 02:23 PM   #22
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to David Galdo Send a message via AIM to David Galdo Send a message via MSN to David Galdo Send a message via Yahoo to David Galdo

There is a gauge and length specified for stock motors, I thought the flat wire was ok for Mod since they specify that it be no less than 10 turns and not test below 12.4 microhenrie.

That old Paradox motor is a hot motor! By the looks of the new T-motor, it seems the can is all that changed.....I see a GM3 arm in it.
Old 08-30-2002, 08:20 PM   #23
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to John Stranahan

Flat wire motors. Interesting that we had a thread on induction of mod motors on Trinity's Web site. Two motor builders (including Jim Dieter) stated that square wire was illegal for mod motors. Apparently flat wire is not (its not square I guess). The trinity ads lead you to believe the advantage of the flat wire is lower rotational inertia. If you look at the photo of the arm you can see that this is not the case unless they are using flat wire of a smaller gauge than the round wire. The main advantage of the flat wire is higher induction. More magnetism is produced for each increment of current. This probably lets them get away with a slightly smaller gauge to have a motor that feels the same in the touring car. (Ruf-now wheres that arm so I can test it)
John Stranahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2002, 10:20 PM   #24
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by ruf
The thing is that you also have to take into account magnetic field. Having the windings closer to the center and farther from the magnets will have a definite effect on the field strength.
I had gotten the impression that the interaction between the magnetized poles of the armature stack and the magnets was more influential than that between the coils and the magnets... If that is indeed the case, the flat wires might saturate the poles quicker due to their laying flatter and closer to the stacks...

I could be entirely wrong though. I'm no expert on electric motor theory.

Trips
Old 08-30-2002, 11:20 PM   #25
Tech Elite

The metal in the stack amplifies the magnetism produced by the coil. They act in concert.

From the photo the flat windings look like they are very evenly distributed along the web of the stack. The flat wire does not look closer to the shaft than round wire would be. In fact he flat wire looks like it would have more weight farther out than round wire which is generally wound with a hump in the middle of the web (more wire in the middle instead of an even distribution).

anyway Doug, my three year old mod motors are working fine and I will use them until the comms are gone.

Last edited by John Stranahan; 08-30-2002 at 11:22 PM.
Old 09-03-2002, 09:20 AM   #26
Tech Elite

There is more information on the D5 on a thread in the motor battery support section of teamtrinity.com web site.
Old 09-03-2002, 10:07 AM   #27
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 69 (100%+)

will there be a new reedy stock motor to replace the MVP? from what i read, the MVP wasnt actually a complete redesign of the rage since they share the same armature.
marvi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2002, 05:37 PM   #28
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Well, there was talk a few months ago of a new Reedy stocker in development code-named "Cobalt"(& no, it did not & does not have cobalt magnets), but I don't think there's been any word on exactly when it'll become available.....

Go Pokes!!!
Grizzbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2002, 12:31 AM   #29
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Send a message via ICQ to Boomer Send a message via AIM to Boomer

I heard that they had it at SoCal Raceway doing some testing and this guy with a Mini pulled them on the straight!!! Seriously - ask Graphitedust!!!
Old 09-04-2002, 12:46 AM   #30
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to David Galdo Send a message via AIM to David Galdo Send a message via MSN to David Galdo Send a message via Yahoo to David Galdo

Someone was testing the new Cobalt?