R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 10-17-2013, 06:16 PM   #1
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default New into electric onroad

Hi i am looking to get into electric onroad, sometimes go to the track but mainly just infront of the house with friends. is the Team Magic E4JR a good car? its cheap and i can always upgrade the system later, if not what do u recommend?
xTotalghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 06:20 PM   #2
Tech Addict

i am also looking to be somone competive in a race condition i dont want to get completely stomped when i do go to a race
Old 10-17-2013, 07:17 PM   #3
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 65 (100%+)

Well I would choose one or the other, street or track. A true track double carbon plate sedan will get destroyed on a street, and a more casual bathtub chassis will get stomped on in a track environment.
ThePanda is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 07:22 PM   #4
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

G'day mate,
Im in a similar position to you, though i decided one car may not do everything perfectly.
There are semi competitive shaft driven cars like the Team Associated TC4 etc that are durable enough for street running and relatively quick on a track.

Ultimately though all the quickest 1/10 touring are belt driven. They are less durable on harsh surfaces though where grit, stones, twigs etc will damage belts.

I would recommend the Sakura XI Sport. Only costs 125dollars delivered. You make it yourself which is a lot of the fun. You can buy ESC and Motors 32 dollars each from Hobbyking.com which are actually very good. Batteries also for similar money. A Protoform body again for similar money. Then a Flysky GT3C transmitter and a cheap servo for about 60 dollars. You will have a platform that is surprisingly competitive and costs relatively little. Best part is they are widely used (good for when you want setup tips) and parts are plentiful and very cheap!

I have got one with a trackstar turnigy 10.5 t running no esc timing and two notches motor timing on a gearing of 4.67. I ran the other day for three packs on a hot day (over 30degrees 90farenheit, track temp 61centigrade 140farenheit) and the motor never went above 56degrees.

Car handles well, is light and cheap and a great platform for learning the art or even for more experienced.

I just had to give in to the fact I have to go to the track when i want to use it.

Good luck with your search.
MissingApexes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 07:22 PM   #5
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

G'day mate,
Im in a similar position to you, though i decided one car may not do everything perfectly.
There are semi competitive shaft driven cars like the Team Associated TC4 etc that are durable enough for street running and relatively quick on a track.

Ultimately though all the quickest 1/10 touring are belt driven. They are less durable on harsh surfaces though where grit, stones, twigs etc will damage belts.

I would recommend the Sakura XI Sport. Only costs 125dollars delivered. You make it yourself which is a lot of the fun. You can buy ESC and Motors 32 dollars each from Hobbyking.com which are actually very good. Batteries also for similar money. A Protoform body again for similar money. Then a Flysky GT3C transmitter and a cheap servo for about 60 dollars. You will have a platform that is surprisingly competitive and costs relatively little. Best part is they are widely used (good for when you want setup tips) and parts are plentiful and very cheap!

I have got one with a trackstar turnigy 10.5 t running no esc timing and two notches motor timing on a gearing of 4.67. I ran the other day for three packs on a hot day (over 30degrees 90farenheit, track temp 61centigrade 140farenheit) and the motor never went above 56degrees.

Car handles well, is light and cheap and a great platform for learning the art or even for more experienced.

I just had to give in to the fact I have to go to the track when i want to use it.

Good luck with your search.
MissingApexes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 07:39 PM   #6
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Default Run for Fun

If your budget does not allow for dedicated cars, and you plan on running it in the street at home at all, then picking a tub car(basher) so to speak would be my only choice. Next I would consider how much activity there is here for the individual car's thread. That way if you have questions you can search there first and or ask those who own the same car. If and when you do get the ich to go racing there have been plenty of people that do just fine in VTA with a chassis that is older and or tub style construction. ThePanda is right you won't want to spring for an expensive carbon plate touring car only to have it destroyed doing high speed runs in front of your house. My carpet cars won't ever see anything but carpet. Either way, what I'm trying to say is Bashers can race, but Racers don't Bash.
Old 10-17-2013, 08:38 PM   #7
Tech Addict

so would the Team Magic E4JR be a good choise
Old 10-17-2013, 08:56 PM   #8
Tech Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by xTotalghost View Post
so would the Team Magic E4JR be a good choise
It is a "ok" car for racing. But for street as there are lot of dirt and sand. The drivetrain may get get damaged easily..... You would like to have a car with everything covered for street us.... Like a TT02 or XV01 for street. But to be honest they are not really good for racing.......
Old 10-17-2013, 09:00 PM   #9
Tech Champion

If your street is pristine, you could consider a tb04 pro from tamiya. It is a double carbon plate setup, so its light and nimble meaning it would do well on a track, but its also a shaftie, so you don't have to worry about rocks getting into the belt. It still wont do as well as a dedicated dual or triple belt car though.
Old 10-17-2013, 09:01 PM   #10
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by beamcat View Post
It is a "ok" car for racing. But for street as there are lot of dirt and sand. The drivetrain may get get damaged easily..... You would like to have a car with everything covered for street us.... Like a TT02 or XV01 for street. But to be honest they are not really good for racing.......
when i said street i ment my long driveawy i had a new square cemented in its is swepted clean and i use grape soda concentrate to add tracction.
Old 10-17-2013, 09:10 PM   #11
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by xTotalghost View Post
when i said street i ment my long driveawy i had a new square cemented in its is swepted clean and i use grape soda concentrate to add tracction.
if its as clean as you say it is, look into a belt drive car. I have always liked tamiya. The ta06 is a hybrid belt and gearbox design. If there ever is a chance of rocks look at the tb03, its tamiyas shaft car.

TA-series is belt
TB-series is shaft
TT-budget cars (better alternatives out there)
Trf-high performance race cars.
Old 10-18-2013, 06:49 AM   #12
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Gads !! I owned a bunch of E4's. Still like that design BUT...even the high end versions weren't great cars except in the hands of really good drivers. The E4J is a more budget oriented choice. Be careful of a weak front end. That 3 piece chassis had problems with the front end breaking.
For racing? Only if you're talking about lower performance classes like VTA or USGT using motors around 25.5 to 21.5. Any kind of racing beyond that and you'd be wasting your time with the E4.
Personally, I'd stick with Associated or Tamiya. The TC4 is a great all around chassis. Stop worrying about all this small stuff like sand or on the track. Care for your car and it'll rarely be a problem.
The Tamiya TA05 (go with the IFS or Version 2) is a great car that can be found used for low prices and parts support is just plain easy.
There are some cars being produced now that are supposedly pretty good and priced really well. I wish I could make a suggestion on them but haven't tried one.
Good Luck
rctrackman is offline   Reply With Quote