R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 10-17-2013, 04:43 PM   #1
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)
Default 1st onroad, 10th scale buget priced. im no noob though

I want to try 1 not sure if i want drift or normal layout. Just want to go fast. I raced offroad for years nitro and electric. I only do E now though. Any suggestions?

JR servos Hitec servos. Gens ace lipos KO radio.
malik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 06:00 PM   #2
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 142 (100%+)

If you want a 10th scale 4wd sedan to try some club racing then I can recommend the Spec-R S1 chassis. I've raced this kit in 17.5 blinky as well as Canadian VTA (21.5 blinky) and it has been nothing short of amazing. With kits selling for about $100 it's one of the best bangs for your buck right now.
SteveM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 07:19 PM   #3
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 65 (100%+)

I second the spec r cars. While they are not as good from a pure performance standpoint as something like a t4 or trf car, in the right hands they can be very competitive.
ThePanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 07:56 PM   #4
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to valk Send a message via AIM to valk Send a message via MSN to valk

id also consider the yokomo sd sport. $150. shaft driver which is much better for street use or parking lot use with minimal maintenance.

I run a spec R s1 in my 17.5 class now too. picked it up to try and showcase a lower cost of entry into racing with our club. replaced my serpent s411 with top of the line electrics with this car and the cheapest roar approved electrics i could get my hands on.
im sitting at just over $300 for the car with turnigy batteries, savox servo, speed passion power and ive been able to keep pace with my serpent in 17.5 just fine.

the guy who beats me, beats me no matter what lol. i guess you could look at $500 cars from two stand points. if your fast, they can make you faster if setup to suit how you drive.
if your not fast, they can often be safer and have a wider window of setup. or hide poor setup better than cheap cars. my spec r was an absolute pig until i spent some time figuring it out.

I also really like dealing with tqrcracing for my parts. being in canada, i can whole heartedly recommend their service.
www.irocc.ca - www.wcics.ca - www.vrcworld.com - http://proampsrc.com/ - www.teamassociated.com
valk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 09:19 PM   #5
Tech Champion

Yes, tq racing and speed tech are good places for more...Alternative cars like 3 racing and spec r that other retailers don't cary. They are also good for parts from tamiya.
Old 10-17-2013, 10:08 PM   #6
Suspended

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

+1 for the Spec-R I have an S1 and 2 R1 Pro Specs and they are awesome bang for the buck. The 3 Racing Xi Sports is not a bad car either, maybe a little more fragile than the S1 from my experience with club guys who drive them, they seem to break more than I do, but that could just be drivers. The older Sakura Zero is a beast though and just as indestructible as the S1.
RogerDaShrubber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 06:01 PM   #7
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Ok now i for sure want to go TC there is some carpet tracks around i have no idea about it though i just want to get into a decent buget chassis, beat it up alittle in some very clean outside areas learning the carthen ill get on the track with it eventually. Ive raced 10th and 8th scale offroad for a while. Just want to have something to do when its cold. So i want shaft right?

JR servos Hitec servos. Gens ace lipos KO radio.
malik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 07:21 PM   #8
Tech Champion

yes, shaft is better on just about everything other that perfect tracks or carpet. Belts just don't last on the street.